Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warhammer 40,000 Lore Thread

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always found the Dark Heresy to be more dynamic and interesting, the three novels that were released by Black Library that are set in the Calixis sector are also fairly good, though they seem to be pretty much impossible to get nowadays.

three novels? I though the trilogy wasn't completed (only Innocence Proves Nothing & Scourge the Heretic by Sandy Mitchell). Or maybe there's another book I wasn't aware of.
When reading the novels, at time I had the feeling the author was given the DH rulebook and was told to use as much content from them as possible. But still it was a nice read and I'm a little bummed there wasn't a third book.

As for getting the books, the first one is still available on the Black Library website. And if someone's interested in the second (which is missing from the website, no idea why), I might have a pdf lying around.

Last edited:

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
I sailed the high seas and there's plenty of black library collections out there with basically all the books you'd want.

3D printers are going to murder them lmao.
Anyone in the west who tries to sell WH40k miniatures they printed themselves will get hit with copyright suits.
Chinese ones will continue to be complete garbage not worth the pennies you spent on them.
I've purchased some russian recasts, which I believe are 3d printed? Only because a friend of mine had, and they're basically flawless. Especially compared to Forgeworld. Still resin though. Very economical to buy characters for ~5 euros a piece instead of 20-30.

Sidenote: Apparently there's an old bit of squat lore where it's stated that squats live quite ae long time but still age comparably to humans so they get real fuckin' elderly. But then what they lose in physical capabalities they gain in psychic ones and I can already see the awesome minis for that in my head and is the first bit of squats lore that I've heard that I actually like.

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
I always found the Dark Heresy to be more dynamic and interesting, the three novels that were released by Black Library that are set in the Calixis sector are also fairly good, though they seem to be pretty much impossible to get nowadays.

three novels? I though the trilogy wasn't completed (only Innocence Proves Nothing & Scourge the Heretic by Sandy Mitchell). Or maybe there's another book I wasn't aware of.
When reading the novels, at time I had the feeling the author was given the DH rulebook and was told to use as much content from them as possible. But still it was a nice read and I'm a little bummed there wasn't a third book.

As for getting the books, the first one is still available on the Black Library website. And if someone's interested in the second (which is missing from the website, no idea why), I might have a pdf lying around.
Took me less than 2 minutes to find both in epub format in a buried cache. X marks the spot.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Ah, you are right - I keep forgeting that the third one was not published. I liked the two that came out tho.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
So I've finished the Eisenhorn trilogy (plus some short stories, thanks for the chronological read order, random internet pirate) and I liked it quite a bit. It's certainly above most of the drek I read going through the Dark Eldar stories, thoug not all! I did feel that the last one, Hereticus, was the least effective one. It had a good start with proper tension but it didn't quite manage to put everything together all that well. And I kept being reminded when finishing one of these books of some r/40klore guy saying Abnett rushes through his endings and that's definitely proven to be true. The ending of this massive trilogy is as brief as possible. An epilogue would have been good. I liked the way Abnett connected the story lines, and Malleus is certainly my favorite, although I could debate with myself over it and Xenos, they're quite close. This one was good, but did give me a bit of fatigue, I'm not sure if I'll just continue down this line with Ravenor, a character that I'm right now not super interested in. Maybe I'll jump back into the Horus Heresy. It's kind of a shitty series in a way but as a 40k nut I can't help but feel it's draw still.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Hereticus is the end of the original Eisenhorn trilogy, but it is not the end of Eisenhorn´s storyline - there is a book called Magos (basically Eisenhorn IV), which follows Eisenhorn as he goes completely rogue (though he still fights the good fight), I liked it a lot. The Bequin series of books will probably lead to the final Ravenor vs Eisenhorn showdown, though I didnt start reading those yet.

In any case I found the Ravenor trilogy somewhat more enjoyable (though Eisenhorn books are great too), the characters in Ravenor´s retinue were imo top notch and would deserve their own spin-offs (especially Patience Kyss). If you enjoy more investigative approach to 40K I can also recommend the Shira Calpurnia books (focussed on Adeptus Arbites) and of course if you want more Dan Abnett stuff, you cant go wrong with Gaunts Ghosts.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
We're getting somewhere.
https://www.warhammer-community.com...ann-are-coming-but-what-actually-is-a-votann/

The Leagues of Votann Are Coming – But What Actually Is a Votann?

TcOdgAg1ux92RVyB.jpg

The Leagues of Votann are on their way, and everyone’s excited to find out how these doughty space-farers fit into the vast setting of Warhammer 40,000. The Leagues have a long, storied history of independent strongholds, bound together by the Votann – but just what is a Votann, anyway?

A secretive people in a galaxy full of mortal threats, the Kin do not discuss the nature of the Votann with outsiders – by sacred custom and sensible caution. The word is used freely enough, but no-one beyond the Leagues has any clue what it refers to.

There’s good reason for this reticence – if the secrets of the Votann were ever revealed to the galaxy at large, the uneasy peace between the Leagues and the Imperium of Man would quickly crumble.

ak3AleqQ6Za7qypx.jpg

Why? The Votann are Ancestor Cores – super-cogitators, gestalt repositories of inherited wisdom and knowledge. Each League has its own Votann, central to its way of life, and no Kin would hesitate to lay down their lives to protect it – these venerable cogitators are as sacred to the Kin as gods are to the more spiritual races. That’s the sort of thing the Adeptus Mechanicus has strong opinions on.

Within these self-organising datastacks and quantum infocores is held all the information a people might need to survive among the stars – weapon specifications, military theory, genealogical data, science, philosophy, and even Standard Template Constructs. There is an unimaginable wealth of lore buried in each Votann, which cannot be allowed to fall into the more superstitious hands of outsiders.

Of course, the 41st Millennium being what it is, not all is well among the Votann – it turns out that even machines of near-limitless power can eventually run out of memory. Whoever first created these marvels did not design them for tens of thousands of years of constant operation, and the sheer weight of data they are forced to compute has begun to slow them down.

DvV1IxenyZXXaI59.jpg

Some have developed idiosyncrasies – what might even be termed “personalities”. When once the Kin would have received an answer to a tough question in a matter of moments, as the 41st Millennium comes to a close, some Votann can take decades – or even centuries – to deliver the same solution. Day by day, year by year, the Ancestor Cores become more eccentric and mercurial.

There are plenty more secrets where that came from, held in Warhammer Community’s very own Ancestor Core – we’ll have more to say about the Leagues of Votann once we work out how to get it to answer another question. In the meantime, keep checking back – and sign up for the newsletter to get all the latest ancestral insights delivered right to your inbox.

lightbane

Arcane
Interesting, the nu-squats have super-AIs as their leaders, kinda like the Eldar do with craftworlds... But that makes me wonder why they didn't do anything to help the Imperium, their alleged allies, in literal millennia, if they always had super-computers that had STCs and everything that could fix the Imperium (perhaps even heal the Emprah) in a moment. Being wary of the xenophobic attitude of the Big I doesn't work when the latter have non-human allies anyway, and you knew them for some time. Oh well, consistency is a lost technology in wh40k.

Humbaba

Arcane
Alright lore so far but I hate the aesthetic. Too round, too eggy, not dwarfy or bikerish enough. Needs more 80's exaggeration and 90's edgyness, this is 40k after all. We've only seen one model so far, so maybe there are better ones they haven't shown yet.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I sailed the high seas and there's plenty of black library collections out there with basically all the books you'd want.

I've purchased some russian recasts, which I believe are 3d printed? Only because a friend of mine had, and they're basically flawless. Especially compared to Forgeworld. Still resin though. Very economical to buy characters for ~5 euros a piece instead of 20-30.

Sidenote: Apparently there's an old bit of squat lore where it's stated that squats live quite ae long time but still age comparably to humans so they get real fuckin' elderly. But then what they lose in physical capabalities they gain in psychic ones and I can already see the awesome minis for that in my head and is the first bit of squats lore that I've heard that I actually like.

Where from?

I got chink casts from miranda irene a few years back which are superb castings.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
thepiratescountry.com. But they have no payment options left now with the sanctions. It's too bad, I mean I don't have the money but I'd love to order like one hundred euros worth of characters. And some Mandrakes. And some beasts. etc. etc.

Edit: Apparently they accept paypal now?

Interesting, the nu-squats have super-AIs as their leaders, kinda like the Eldar do with craftworlds... But that makes me wonder why they didn't do anything to help the Imperium, their alleged allies, in literal millennia, if they always had super-computers that had STCs and everything that could fix the Imperium (perhaps even heal the Emprah) in a moment. Being wary of the xenophobic attitude of the Big I doesn't work when the latter have non-human allies anyway, and you knew them for some time. Oh well, consistency is a lost technology in wh40k.

I'd imagine in the early days the Imperium probably tried to annex them during the Great Crusade, and the Leagues would have been mostly occupied with fighting them off to maintain independence. Then over the millennia, with the Emperor dead and the Imperium becoming more sedate, relations would have gradually thawed, but at the same time the Votann would have been getting pretty slow and erratic by that point, accessing schematics more difficult, etc. Keep in mind they aren't allies the way Squats were; now they're just "not actively at war", which doesn't mean they're sharing technology. I think the relationship between the Leagues and the Imperium is probably just slightly warmer than the relationship between the Eldar and the Imperium, only because the Leagues are human / abhuman rather than outright xenos.

Alternately the Votann themselves might have vetoed cooperation, since the Imperium & Mechanicum were both extremely anti-AI and the Votann are AI.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
Hereticus is the end of the original Eisenhorn trilogy, but it is not the end of Eisenhorn´s storyline - there is a book called Magos (basically Eisenhorn IV), which follows Eisenhorn as he goes completely rogue (though he still fights the good fight), I liked it a lot. The Bequin series of books will probably lead to the final Ravenor vs Eisenhorn showdown, though I didnt start reading those yet.

In any case I found the Ravenor trilogy somewhat more enjoyable (though Eisenhorn books are great too), the characters in Ravenor´s retinue were imo top notch and would deserve their own spin-offs (especially Patience Kyss). If you enjoy more investigative approach to 40K I can also recommend the Shira Calpurnia books (focussed on Adeptus Arbites) and of course if you want more Dan Abnett stuff, you cant go wrong with Gaunts Ghosts.
I'm halfway through the first Ravenor book and I'm just *not* hooked. It's well written, and I guess I like the characters, but it was too stoppy-starty at first, and now there's for me a lack of a throughline. Ravenor is investigating illegal warp-infused narcotics trade. And he fought a strong psyker. That's the only bits of important overarching narrative I've gotten. I will continue on and finish the ravenor books and read the bequin novels, because it feels like the more entertaining storytelling is just around the corner. Again, it's well written, it just hasn't really hooked me personally. But the Inquisition and Inquisitors and their retinues is probably my favorite part of the Imperium.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
I wonder how many terabytes of data the squats dedicate to recording their grudges in the votann

Last edited:

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
I'm halfway through the first Ravenor book and I'm just *not* hooked. It's well written, and I guess I like the characters, but it was too stoppy-starty at first, and now there's for me a lack of a throughline. Ravenor is investigating illegal warp-infused narcotics trade. And he fought a strong psyker. That's the only bits of important overarching narrative I've gotten. I will continue on and finish the ravenor books and read the bequin novels, because it feels like the more entertaining storytelling is just around the corner. Again, it's well written, it just hasn't really hooked me personally. But the Inquisition and Inquisitors and their retinues is probably my favorite part of the Imperium.
I felt like I was missing something back then, and if I trudged on I would get to the part where it all coalesced and Abnett just needed a lot of set-up for this one. But no, I genuinely think I'd have lost nothing if I skipped this one except for very minor stuff. I guess the main problem for me is just not being all that thrilled by Ravenor's team and their banter. I like Patience Kys, but only because of the short story that sets up her backstory, and the kid Zael that they pick up but there isn't any substance in the book character-wise that actually enhances the story. It felt like Abnett didn't have enough for a trilogy, but they had him write this unneccessary first part to hatch on to the front anyway. I enjoyed the short story 'Thorn wishes Talon' that comes after this one more than this whole book.

Last edited:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Alternately the Votann themselves might have vetoed cooperation, since the Imperium & Mechanicum were both extremely anti-AI and the Votann are AI.
Holy shit this new lore is fucking retarded, even for NuGW.

If the Mechanicus knew there were human AIs still around they would have broken out all the big guns they kept hidden away, and likely ordered the Centurio Ordinatus to go just go balls-to-the-walls insane and turned every planet of the League into molten lava, and then catapulted it into the Warp for good measure.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
So I finished Ravenor Returned and it definitely feels like I was right and Abnett held back the actually impactful story elements for the second one, to have an extra book to sell. But yeah, this one is much more in the style of the Eisenhorn books, but with the ensemble element the Ravenor books bring to the table. More moving parts, less one-note. Good stuff, looking forward to finishing this trilogy and getting into the rest of the Inquisitor books.

janior

Arcane
Patron
So is it safe to skip first ravenor book? I'm half-way through malleus, but already order ravenor part 2 and 3 but cant find first book anywhere for sale in english

Glory to Ukraine
I guess you can manage without it - though if you cant find it on sale you can try searching for the digital version on high seas or in similar places...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom