Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And you should also get occasional insomnia, annoying loud neighbor next room, snoring (affects the rest of the party) and some STD if you change your partners too often.

why? no rest spamming iz gud thing.
It is, generally speaking, but there's a fucking gulf between "Feel free to spam rest at will" and "You'll be allowed to rest only once in 24 hours of actual gameplay".

And it doesn't even matter if it's SOMEWHAT feasible. When you have to negotiate your features with the "convenience-above-anything-else crowd" that have a panic attack if you even dare to suggest they may have less than one million long rests available (it doesn't matter if they will hardly ever use 100 of them) you have to be reasonable with your demands.

Also, "24 hours in game equates to to 24H in RL" is a bad design principle in general, and especially in a game world that already feels so compressed in scale.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ideally, food and resting should be an element of gameplay - you can assure yourself lots of rests by carrying lots of provisions around, at the cost of something else. Or you can keep the space for other things and rely on ekeing out your high-end skills more carefully. It should be something you have to juggle with and weigh up, then both the simulation and the Vancian restrictions have meaning and purpose.

It's the same with all simulationist elements. I love simulation, the more the merrier, I want to play these games in miniaturized real worlds, virtual worlds. I think most people who love CRPGs do too; but as most people here would probably agree, it's just LARPing (that can be either an annoyance or fun fluff depending on how it's handled) unless it's integrated into the gameplay, unless it's part of the plate-juggling.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Good luck trying to put a city under a snowstorm if that city temperature is above 30ºC
Wow, GURPs is weird. 86ºF seems like a really high threshold for snow.

IS just that the energy to cool a huge area is proportional to how hot that area is. But in GURPS, yes, a group of powerful magicians with high MAGERY probably can do a thing like that. GURPS is very modular. You can play a very low tech/no magic campaign during ice age and a high tech, high magical campaign about technomancers wanting to build a dyson sphere

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Ideally, food and resting should be an element of gameplay - you can assure yourself lots of rests by carrying lots of provisions around, at the cost of something else. Or you can keep the space for other things and rely on ekeing out your high-end skills more carefully. It should be something you have to juggle with and weigh up, then both the simulation and the Vancian restrictions have meaning and purpose.

It's the same with all simulationist elements. I love simulation, the more the merrier, I want to play these games in miniaturized real worlds, virtual worlds. I think most people who love CRPGs do too; but as most people here would probably agree, it's just LARPing (that can be either an annoyance or fun fluff depending on how it's handled) unless it's integrated into the gameplay, unless it's part of the plate-juggling.

this vid really is like a metaphor of modern life

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I watched a video on Youtube for a few minutes. Start of the game with a tiefling (I think) fighting the illithid on the ship. As a battlecry the Tiefling says: "Your spine is mine!" or something like that. It might be a language thing, but it strikes me as lazy, unimaginative writing.

You might think I'm making a storm in a teacup, but I only watched a few minutes and that's what stood out. Even if English isn't the writer's first language, it should be known that that's the sort of thing a retarded teenage cosplayer might say at D&D camp because they thought it's how demons might talk in the abyss. Or it's just lazy and unimaginative.

plem

Learned
Even if English isn't the writer's first language, it should be known that that's the sort of thing a retarded teenage cosplayer might say at D&D camp because they thought it's how demons might talk in the abyss.

that's exactly the target audience so I guess they're doing it right

I watched a video on Youtube for a few minutes. Start of the game with a tiefling (I think) fighting the illithid on the ship. As a battlecry the Tiefling says: "Your spine is mine!" or something like that. It might be a language thing, but it strikes me as lazy, unimaginative writing.

You might think I'm making a storm in a teacup, but I only watched a few minutes and that's what stood out. Even if English isn't the writer's first language, it should be known that that's the sort of thing a retarded teenage cosplayer might say at D&D camp because they thought it's how demons might talk in the abyss. Or it's just lazy and unimaginative.
I mean Larian is not exactly famous for good writing, even though they try to be.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Writing in BG3 is surprisingly good. Nothing stood out as overly cringe or pretentious to me* Unlike say Cringefinder whose writing I consider an insult to one’s intellect.
*of course there are parts that you can call banal or cliches, but I guess asking to avoid them completely is too much for a current year.
As for the above example of “your back is mine” I can’t really evaluate how cringe it is since I am not a native english speaker, so if it hurts some prestigious anglo descendants I care not. Tieflings and Aasimars are an epitome of cringe though.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

A video talking about the lv cap. My guess? It will be lv 12. When D&D initially launched, the maximum spell level which an arcane caster could reach was 6 and 5 for divine casters. In the past, I was disappointed due the lv cap being low but was because I was too used to 3.5E and Pathfinder games. NWN1, NWN2, IWD2, PF:KM. The unique 3.5E game that I know with low lv cap is ToEE(lv cap = 10).

But realized that I was wrong by lots of reasons :
  • Lots of terrifying monsters had their abilities removed or heavily nerfed. In Solasta, I fought an adult dragon + his minions at lv 8, a mob that in my 3.5E table caused my first TPK at lv 13. Monsters are way weaker in 5E
  • And players way more durable, they need to go beyond zero hp and fail 3 saves to die. Has short rest heal , the durability of players is way higher.
  • Most AD&D SSI games do have lower level cap. Dark Sun : Shattered Lands is a lv 3~9 campaign, wake of the ravager which you fight a freaking Tarrasque is a lv 9~15 campaign. Both ravenloft(stone prophet and strahd possession), allow you to reach "teen" levels and cast up to tier 6 spells. Same with Eye of the Beholder games, only the third game allow high level gameplay and it needs to challenge the player with some really nasty stuff like underwater antimagical fields + high level mobs
  • Baldur's Gate 1/2 aren't high level adventures, except the later chapters of BG2. Most people prefer chapter 2 of BG2:SoA.
  • PF:WoTR showed me that going too far into the "epic" route can be quite boring. I still love NWN2 MoTB and NWN1:HotU. But I don't wanna another game where even demon lords and skyscraper sized demons are relative trivial enemies.
And Kingmaker was not low level either. First time that I've completed Kingmaker, I was lv 16. You can fight a freaking Spawn of Rovagug, the God of destruction in a DLC.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Writing in BG3 is surprisingly good. Nothing stood out as overly cringe or pretentious to me* Unlike say Cringefinder whose writing I consider an insult to one’s intellect.

upload_2022-4-25_14-43-27.png

deuxhero

Arcane

A video talking about the lv cap. My guess? It will be lv 12. When D&D initially launched, the maximum spell level which an arcane caster could reach was 6 and 5 for divine casters. In the past, I was disappointed due the lv cap being low but was because I was too used to 3.5E and Pathfinder games. NWN1, NWN2, IWD2, PF:KM. The unique 3.5E game that I know with low lv cap is ToEE(lv cap = 10).

But realized that I was wrong by lots of reasons :
  • Lots of terrifying monsters had their abilities removed or heavily nerfed. In Solasta, I fought an adult dragon + his minions at lv 8, a mob that in my 3.5E table caused my first TPK at lv 13. Monsters are way weaker in 5E
  • And players way more durable, they need to go beyond zero hp and fail 3 saves to die. Has short rest heal , the durability of players is way higher.
  • Most AD&D SSI games do have lower level cap. Dark Sun : Shattered Lands is a lv 3~9 campaign, wake of the ravager which you fight a freaking Tarrasque is a lv 9~15 campaign. Both ravenloft(stone prophet and strahd possession), allow you to reach "teen" levels and cast up to tier 6 spells. Same with Eye of the Beholder games, only the third game allow high level gameplay and it needs to challenge the player with some really nasty stuff like underwater antimagical fields + high level mobs
  • Baldur's Gate 1/2 aren't high level adventures, except the later chapters of BG2. Most people prefer chapter 2 of BG2:SoA.
  • PF:WoTR showed me that going too far into the "epic" route can be quite boring. I still love NWN2 MoTB and NWN1:HotU. But I don't wanna another game where even demon lords and skyscraper sized demons are relative trivial enemies.
And Kingmaker was not low level either. First time that I've completed Kingmaker, I was lv 16. You can fight a freaking Spawn of Rovagug, the God of destruction in a DLC.

You're missing the big reason: 5E's already shitty design just totally collapses in on itself by level 8/9. The difference between a level 9 non-caster and a level 16 non-caster is more HP and a few abilities of varying usefulness since their ability to attack or use skills doesn't actualy improve. In a video game that allows you to retreat and break contact there's virtually nothing stopping you from taking down anything by that level, so they might as well not include anything beyond it.

Saravan

Savant
Here I kept wondering where the fuck is Vict0r? Did he finally move on and then I saw he changed his name again and yep still CRYomancing about this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom