Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

When MMOs Die... then what? Matrix, Hellgate, Tabula Rasa, a

laclongquan

Arcane
I started playing CoH about 6 months before it official closed server, i think.

Anyway, back to thread. Social and MMO death.

When most of your class, or school, play online and in some major MMORPG, then e-social is social~ It's a matter of ratio and absolute number. No matter how oldsters moan and groan about it :shrug:

Thing is, MMO die is a given. It is something based on human nature, and especially based on the age of digital. E-game is not book/movie/music. E-game is gaming medium~ People just keep compare it to other media and keep moaning about how it doesnt behave the same as other media. It's not the same.

Why human nature? because e-game is intense mental activity, thus tiring after a long time no matter what.

[[E-game = action + calculation + sound processing+ visual processing]]

In matter of intensity, a good game (not even greatest group) can be much more mental tiring than reading a book, or watching a movie, in the same period of time. Do you ever hear of people die due to reading too long or watching movie too long? No? but it's not that rare among gamers. Or at least, it's not unheard of.

Simply because of how intense it is, people instictively shy away from it after the newness fade and pressure start building up. And they leave the games. That's just how it is~

Make it less intense? Then who would play your boring games?

Cataphract

Literate
Outside of Asia, the future of MMOs will probably be more akin to Space Station 13 than any conventional rpg. Until then, it'll be stagnated on WoW's format.

Sykar

Arcane
I started playing CoH about 6 months before it official closed server, i think.

Anyway, back to thread. Social and MMO death.

When most of your class, or school, play online and in some major MMORPG, then e-social is social~ It's a matter of ratio and absolute number. No matter how oldsters moan and groan about it :shrug:

Thing is, MMO die is a given. It is something based on human nature, and especially based on the age of digital. E-game is not book/movie/music. E-game is gaming medium~ People just keep compare it to other media and keep moaning about how it doesnt behave the same as other media. It's not the same.

Why human nature? because e-game is intense mental activity, thus tiring after a long time no matter what.

[[E-game = action + calculation + sound processing+ visual processing]]

In matter of intensity, a good game (not even greatest group) can be much more mental tiring than reading a book, or watching a movie, in the same period of time. Do you ever hear of people die due to reading too long or watching movie too long? No? but it's not that rare among gamers. Or at least, it's not unheard of.

Simply because of how intense it is, people instictively shy away from it after the newness fade and pressure start building up. And they leave the games. That's just how it is~

Make it less intense? Then who would play your boring games?

You could play on CoH Homecoming private server if you fancy. There are a handful of other private servers up as well.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What is CoH?

and I just pirated a shitty copy of that playing to win book.

Eh, people generally can suck and be annoying. Online people generally won't ring your doorbell or knock. If you give them contact info then its your fault for being so damn needy. Are they "friends?" Dunno. Just like when i read someone cares about me... eh yeah why? I'm a sack of rotting meat with a deteriorating brain go care about something real because I'm likely to forget and eventually not even think about it.

Even my gaming on EUO, which is barely alive and considered dead, has little thrill for me. My Hobo... he's immortal 1k now. Will I start or finish another of my 200 alts? Dunno.

I kind of miss aion and would play mmo's offline if available as a good 99.9999% of the time I was soloing anyway.

Face to Face old friends?
I let that shit die decades ago. Most weren't even friends, so I'll say the were "acquaintances." I don't even bother to remember peoples names unless its maybe a neighbor and then only last name. The negativity and baggage of people gets so bad I DO NOT want to know them and hope they disappear. I have a bad enough time with negative family members to the point I'd wish they'd drop dead or lose my contact. Thankfully, most have forgotten and older members are dead. Cousins and shit don't recall me and I'm not on facebook or that shit.

I just have you sad sack of bastards to torment me for the rest of my life.

I guess I mean that in a positive light. Meh.. can't tell with me tbh.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom