Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Boleskine

Arcane
If the Sonic movie studio can listen to the fans, so can Ron and Terrible Toybox!

mTlNe7g.png

Seems likely IMO that after all the butthurt has passed, the devs will revisit the game's visual style and try for some sort of compromise. The fact that they haven't shown Guybrush yet suggests that it's still at an early enough stage.
gr93uH5.png

Guybrush is now Galbrush with pronouns ze and zir.

Pirates are now known as 'Swashbuckling nonbinary persons' or SNPs for short.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Going by the interviews, the project started in 2019 (they managed to keep it secret) and it's in the wrapping-up stage. I find it extremely unlikely that there's going to be any revision of the artstyle.
That’s how they are describing it, but I’m skeptical—the “screenshots” are just background stills without any gameplay indicators.

negator2vc

Scholar
But Gilbert and his social media trolls still believe that the problem fans have with the art is that it isn't pixelart and not that is crap.
So there is 0.0000001% chance that there will be any art changes before the release.

I planned to leave any lucas arts/monkey island groups on FB but the posts there are soooo funny and full of butthurt ;-)

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And we are in 100% agreement that CGA is an abomination.
You've not played Monkey Island unless you've done the CGA version with PC speaker sound and you've got no class at all if you can't appreciate it.
Why would anyone smear their monitor with vaseline? Hey, you gonna put it up your ass or something?

Nice meeting you too, barely literate friend! Clearly, you haven't owned a Commodore 1084S or equivalent monitor back in the 80s/90s.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Seems likely IMO that after all the butthurt has passed, the devs will revisit the game's visual style and try for some sort of compromise. The fact that they haven't shown Guybrush yet suggests that it's still at an early enough stage.
Frankly, doing that is the worst possible thing they could do. It signals to the people that defended him that they don't matter and to everyone who dunked on him that he's a spineless old fool. That for all his bluster he'll just lie down and take it. Even if someone else sets the change in motion. Its not like with the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, because they (IIRC) went "oh, shit, everyone hates it, let's try to fix it". Ron is a few days away from posting wojaks about people who don't like his game. I don't think he's going to get a redemption arc.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Frankly, doing that is the worst possible thing they could do. It signals to the people that defended him that they don't matter and to everyone who dunked on him that he's a spineless old fool.

It would be certainly a "fuck it all" attitude, and for that alone I would salute him+MI just still can't get over it that he thinks the art we've seen so far looks good. He should know better and he's not exactly an idiot, so probably he's just being pigheaded.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
One of the greatest feats of rascality of all time is the start of Team America and the reaction it evoked from the studio that had funded the movie. Ron could one up it if all these shots were from a nightmare sequence after ingesting pappapisshu juice, and the regular game has beautiful adventure graphics.

Strig

Learned

dbx

Arcane
Patron
I wish they'd do it as FMV with Johnny Depp as Guybrush.

Pirates of the Caribbean (the movie) IS a better MI than Escape. At least it got the right spirit (visually) unlike this shitty samurai jack ripoff

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
I wish they'd do it as FMV with Johnny Depp as Guybrush.

Pirates of the Carribean (the movie) IS a better MI than Escape. At least it got the right spirit (visually) unlike this shitty samurai jack ripoff
The scriptwriter on the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie was the guy who was doing the script for the animated Monkey Island movie that fell apart as such Bloom's character has a number of similarities with Guybrush.

Edit: Apparently this is just wide reported urban legend from the sound of it.

Last edited:
I'm not too fond of the art style myself and would have vastly preferred something similar to Curse of Monkey Island. I've just always loved the hand drawn scenes in that game, they have so much atmosphere and warmth to them. Not to mention that Murray looks a bit awkward in the new game.

All said, the current art style is far from a deal breaker for me. I will still play Return to Monkey Island regardless of the final art style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom