Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG you'd like to see made?

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
So Hitler could be close to develop a substance making soldiers rise again after being shot.
Pervitin.jpg

curds

Magister
We will never have a faithful Warhammer game, whether RPG or tactics, because then there would be no reason to buy GW's really expensive physical products.

That makes no sense. Warhammer Total War would be a far greater threat to their profit margins by that logic, and yet it exists. How would a good narrative-driven cRPG invalidate their overpriced tat?
Haven't played Warhammer Total War but I assume it's not a faithful adaptation of WHFB. I'm saying we don't get faithful WHFB or WHFRP adaptations because of that reason. I agree that it makes no sense, but I think GW thinks that it does.

Herumor

Scholar
By the conclusion of Wake of the Ravager, even triple-classed characters have attained around 14th level, and the party has become allied with the Veiled Alliance. Any possible sequel would involve the PCs rising to 20th level and facing the Dragon as the antagonist, replacing the events at the end of the Prism Pentad novels that were assumed to be canonical for the setting. Or the Dragon could be disposed of as normal by the novel's characters, leaving the party free to confront some other menace to Athas.

Didn't really like Prism Pentad, it disrupted the setting way too much, IMO. Though I did enjoy some of the stuff that came afterwards, namely the Lynn Abbey books about a templar from Urik and Hamanu himself. For me the draw of the setting was always having a sense of mystery, never really knowing how things came to be, and enemies that could not be outright defeated. Getting rid of the Dragon is where things started to fall apart. Not everything in any given setting has to be on such a scale for things to be interesting, it's just that most people can't seem to devise decent enough stories without heading in that direction.

vazha

Arcane
1. The Fourth Crusade RPG based in Constantinople, where you can either play as a crusader, a Byzantine, a Turk or any other involved faction representative (Bulgarian comes to mind first). Some sort of a lovechild between Darklands and Battle Brothers.

2. A Gilgamesh rpg. One can dream, amirite?

Comte_II

Man I wish someone would just make a good wild west rpg where you can be an outlaw or a sheriff and his posse. Chasing indians, looking for the lost maguffin mine whatever.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There were Indians in the Wild West?
Hindu-Gods-1.jpg

hindu-gods-krishna-arjuna-and-chariot-vishnu-and-other-indian-gods-a5a4kc.jpg

crowd-of-busy-people-buying-flowers-at-indian-street-picture-id542580406
So no Red Dead Redemption or Hard West but a squad-based TBT dungeon crawler? (This could be accomplished with FRUA as they did do a SUPES or two adventure.

Comte_II

There were Indians in the Wild West?
Hindu-Gods-1.jpg

hindu-gods-krishna-arjuna-and-chariot-vishnu-and-other-indian-gods-a5a4kc.jpg

crowd-of-busy-people-buying-flowers-at-indian-street-picture-id542580406
So no Red Dead Redemption or Hard West but a squad-based TBT dungeon crawler? (This could be accomplished with FRUA as they did do a SUPES or two adventure.

They did but they were too short I played them :negative:

Strig

Learned
After thinking about it a bit more I'd like some more FUN™ world building. Not everything has to be cerebral or even make that much sense if it's somewhat internally coherent. Give me things like Gamma World or like this:

Incidentally, most of what I mentioned here is post-apocalyptic, but that may be just my personal bias. Adaptation of The Pirates of Dark Water would be amazing. Take the core idea of PoE 2: Deadfire and build on the setting, it had amazing art direction, creative locations, memorable characters and original fantasy races. Bloth's Maelstrom was basically a moving pirate town.

xszLB6s.jpg

Give me a Thundarresque far future setting. It's Conan but it's all forgotten technology and weird mutations instead of magic and demons. You venture into the world and see something like the picture below. There are friendly tribal villages on the top floors of the ruined high-rises with hanging bridges flung across the chasms between them. Nearby marshlands are crawling with lizardmen armed to the fangs with weapons made out of old road signs. The moon cracked and an ancient tsunami threw a ship in the middle of the city. I'd play the shit out of that.

vFyFXNz.jpg

Give me FUN™, give me ADVENTURE®, be creatively juvenile, have fun with tropes.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Strig Speaking of adventure,

One thing that's always baffled me is that many developers will take the time to create a fantasy setting, presumably to add mystery and a sense of the unknown (I wish, right?). Then proceed to demystify EVERYTHING. Every nook and cranny is mapped, named, catalogued. How the continents formed, how the gods actually came to be, their motivations, everything is quantified. There's nothing left to the imagination, there's no room left for you to go on an adventure and to discover these things yourself. They present the player with a scientific understanding of their new fantasy world. It's like they can't help themselves.

I'd be tempted to blame Tolkien for this, but eh, that seems kind of unfair.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Much butthurt on never more toons of PODW. Was there a comic?

Did C&D have a pnp game? I Recall the CAPCOM brawler and Rocket Science games fiasco game for pc & genesis.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
After thinking about it a bit more I'd like some more FUN™ world building. Not everything has to be cerebral or even make that much sense if it's somewhat internally coherent. Give me things like Gamma World or like this:

Incidentally, most of what I mentioned here is post-apocalyptic, but that may be just my personal bias. Adaptation of The Pirates of Dark Water would be amazing. Take the core idea of PoE 2: Deadfire and build on the setting, it had amazing art direction, creative locations, memorable characters and original fantasy races. Bloth's Maelstrom was basically a moving pirate town.

Give me a Thundarresque far future setting. It's Conan but it's all forgotten technology and weird mutations instead of magic and demons. You venture into the world and see something like the picture below. There are friendly tribal villages on the top floors of the ruined high-rises with hanging bridges flung across the chasms between them. Nearby marshlands are crawling with lizardmen armed to the fangs with weapons made out of old road signs. The moon cracked and an ancient tsunami threw a ship in the middle of the city. I'd play the shit out of that.

vFyFXNz.jpg

Give me FUN™, give me ADVENTURE®, be creatively juvenile, have fun with tropes.
The second (C&D) is outright crazy, works as beat'em up but crpg, no thank you. This thing cannot have any consistency at all, internal or not.

The 3rd one is some mostly banal-shit-boring fantasy but with ships - at least judging from this intro. Ships and maritime settings are underused in CRPGs, i'd like more with ships playing a major role but this looks bad.

The first one is not very original by p&p standards either, a long-range post apocalypse + magic but actually has the most potential imo. I'd play it as well.
In general, post-apo in CRPGs is almost exclusively short-term, Fallout-esque. I'd love to see some post-apo that happens a 1000 year later and where the old world is not something in the past but outright mythical. Any one knows Philip K. Dick short story where one of the last remnants of the past is a computer that sustains/repairs itself by eating people? "The great C" and in "Deus Irae". Some crazy stuff like that.

The picture above doesn't make sense in that those cars look almost unused, certainly in one piece, lol. But the ship looks cool. Of curse "people" - using the term loosely - shouldn't even know what it is and what purpose it had originally.

Strig

Learned

One thing that's always baffled me is that many developers will take the time to create a fantasy setting, presumably to add mystery and a sense of the unknown (I wish, right?). Then proceed to demystify EVERYTHING. Every nook and cranny is mapped, named, catalogued. How the continents formed, how the gods actually came to be, their motivations, everything is quantified. There's nothing left to the imagination, there's no room left for you to go on an adventure and to discover these things yourself. They present the player with a scientific understanding of their new fantasy world. It's like they can't help themselves.

I fully understand the need to overexplain everything, mostly because I have a tendency to do it myself with any creative idea. One reason for it is that people like consistency and prefer to avoid holes in the narrative, the other that it's just fun to create detailed worlds. Personally, I believe that there is nothing wrong with creating a very complex reasoning for your setting, but it should be something for a source book and not an infodump on the player.

Much butthurt on never more toons of PODW. Was there a comic?

Did C&D have a pnp game? I Recall the CAPCOM brawler and Rocket Science games fiasco game for pc & genesis.

Here's a book for C&D rpg: https://vdocuments.mx/cadillacs-dinosaurs-rpg-corebook.html
The Pirates of Dark Water had a comic but it wasn't anything to write home about. Mostly a rethread of the cartoon. It had some good art though.

dab7cd5144ef0a236e696f2e24069d55.jpg

The second (C&D) is outright crazy, works as beat'em up but crpg, no thank you. This thing cannot have any consistency at all, internal or not.

The 3rd one is some mostly banal-shit-boring fantasy but with ships - at least judging from this intro. Ships and maritime settings are underused in CRPGs, i'd like more with ships playing a major role but this looks bad.

The first one is not very original by p&p standards either, a long-range post apocalypse + magic but actually has the most potential imo. I'd play it as well.
In general, post-apo in CRPGs is almost exclusively short-term, Fallout-esque. I'd love to see some post-apo that happens a 1000 year later and where the old world is not something in the past but outright mythical. Any one knows Philip K. Dick short story where one of the last remnants of the past is a computer that sustains/repairs itself by eating people? "The great C" and in "Deus Irae". Some crazy stuff like that.

The picture above doesn't make sense in that those cars look almost unused, certainly in one piece, lol. But the ship looks cool. Of curse "people" - using the term loosely - shouldn't even know what it is and what purpose it had originally.

And why not? I've watched the cartoon and read the comics. There's enough interesting lore, factions and locations to guarantee a solid RPG experience. Do dinosaurs make a whole lot of sense? No. Do they have to? Not really. There's a handwavy reason for their existence in the story, some bullshit about a meteorite speeding up evolution. But you might as well say that the Jurassic Parks were all the rage before the apocalypse and even weave it into the ecological narrative behind the comic books.

If The Pirates of Dark Water are "banal-shit-boring fantasy" then by that logic so is every other original fantasy world, because the setting is rather unique both from the aesthetic standpoint and general world-building.

I mostly agree with what you said about post-apocalyptic fiction. A "dying earth" setting would be fun too.

I'm not looking for the most realistic, overwritten, cerebral worlds. I want FUN™ and ADVENTURE®. Internally consistent world-building can sometimes be illogical by any outside metric and still produce a cohesive setting (Gamma World makes no sodding sense and it's great). The rule of cool might override the need to explain the fact that the ships structural integrity wouldn't hold in that position, certainly not after 2000 years or that the cars look too well preserved. Even Fallout suffered from similar problems and I didn't care. You can go a bit too far, like "Fallout" 3 and its nuclear explosive cars, because it gave me a nagging suspicion that it wasn't a war that devastated the world. It was a chain reaction in a traffic jam after a fender bender.

Tsubutai

Educated
I'd quite like to play the game Dragon Age 2 could've been* - an RPG set in a city with its acts spread over a period of 2 decades or so, so that your choices and actions could shape the city's development and nature as well as your relations with its factions and your progress through the story.

*If you massively improved the writing, completely reworked the combat system, and gave the developers enough time to finish it that they didn't feel compelled to reuse the same environments over and over and over again.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Man I wish someone would just make a good wild west rpg where you can be an outlaw or a sheriff and his posse. Chasing indians, looking for the lost maguffin mine whatever.
Its a bit jank, all things considered, but there's a mod for the original Mount & Blade, 1866 that does a good job of getting most of the stuff you'd want out of a western RPG. Most stuff, and the gunplay is very janky, since the game wasn't designed for repeating firearms.

Last edited:

It would be unfair. Much of Middle-earth is basically terra-incognito. All of Harad, Forodwaith, Angmar, Rhun, Enedwaith, Khand, the Grey Mountains and so on. Tolkien delved very deeply into very particular areas and peoples but all the aforementioned lack almost anything concrete about them. I remember as a kid trying to imagine what some of these places were like based on tantalizing little tidbits from some obscure story out of Book of the Lost Tales or in my encyclopedia. The Second Age in particular has much fog surrounding it. There's a lot of mystery there still, even around some of the most famous villains like the Ringwraiths, only one of which is named. Most of what we know is from the Elves and anything that directly concerns them. Makes sense that their accounts are relatively complete. The realms of men and their history are much less detailed due to their temporal nature. Dwarves even more so due to their secrecy and insular nature.

I agree though, the one the came foremost to mind for me is The Elder Scrolls series.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

It would be unfair. Much of Middle-earth is basically terra-incognito. All of Harad, Forodwaith, Angmar, Rhun, Enedwaith, Khand, the Grey Mountains and so on. Tolkien delved very deeply into very particular areas and peoples but all the aforementioned lack almost anything concrete about them. I remember as a kid trying to imagine what some of these places were like based on tantalizing little tidbits from some obscure story out of Book of the Lost Tales or in my encyclopedia. The Second Age in particular has much fog surrounding it. There's a lot of mystery there still, even around some of the most famous villains like the Ringwraiths, only one of which is named. Most of what we know is from the Elves and anything that directly concerns them. Makes sense that their accounts are relatively complete. The realms of men and their history are much less detailed due to their temporal nature. Dwarves even more so due to their secrecy and insular nature.

I agree though, the one the came foremost to mind for me is The Elder Scrolls series.

LotRO has been taking a crack at that since they got to Mordor a few years back. Not doing so great AFAICT, but trying.

LotRO has been taking a crack at that since they got to Mordor a few years back. Not doing so great AFAICT, but trying.
Yes, and they're not doing a bad job per-se IMO, but ultimately all the stuff various games have added is just fanfiction. I do like some of the ideas that certain games came up with. The men of Angmar being Black Numenoreans who settled further north as an example. The Witch King getting a bit of back story as "Isilmo". It's not all bad.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yes, and they're not doing a bad job per-se IMO, but ultimately all the stuff various games have added is just fanfiction. I do like some of the ideas that certain games came up with. The men of Angmar being Black Numenoreans who settled further north as an example. The Witch King getting a bit of back story as "Isilmo". It's not all bad.
Much of the extra material is taken from semi-canonical sources such as MERP adventure books and such. Not surprised most people are unfamiliar with it though, but it does show that the people making it are Tolkien fans.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Well yeah that was 15 years ago back before they destroyed the gameplay.

Well yeah that was 15 years ago back before they destroyed the gameplay.

I was referencing BFME II: Rise of the Witch King and some other piece of media in regard to Isilmo (may have been a tabletop system) that I no longer remember. I don't actually remember much of LotRO's lore anymore. It's been 10 years since I played it, but I remember there being a lot of stuff that kind of expanded Radagast close by to Amon Sul. I don't know whether it was fabricated whole-cloth or whether it came from some other piece of licensed material, but it didn't seem canon to me. Not that it was bad. That went for most of the content in LotRO that I played through, which was all that was west of the Misty Mountains and North of Minhiriath.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom