Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Grey Knights turn-based tactical RPG

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One hundred and eighty giga...oh wait, just 18 GB of space. Cool.

I'm still a bit traumatised from the install size of another game I'm looking forward to.

Brickfrog

Learned
Haven't played enough to give it a proper write up yet but one thing that struck me is the difference in quality between some elements of the game. The environment design and overall graphics are quite good, but some animations are of markedly lower quality.

Enjoying it so far though. The difficulty is certainly there. I'm curious to see how enemy variety evolves. The tutorial shows some cool khorne daemons but it's been all nurgle all the time ever since.

Hoping to see slaanesh mind control, tzeentch sorcerer's and big khorne melee in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Denuvo = it can fuck off, which is a shame, because i was looking forward to it somewhat... but principles are principles, don't pollute my computer with that shit

randir14

Augur
They acknowledged the performance issues and said they're going to work on fixing it
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1611910/announcements/detail/3197003477512734094

Performance issues
Ave Imperator Force Commanders,

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters is now live! We are enjoying watching you take the fight to the forces of Chaos, be that crushing cultists and heretics with Nemesis Force weapons or sending Plague Marines, unwise enough to be found on bridges to their doom, with a well-placed frag grenade.

We are aware that some Force Commanders have been experiencing performance issues, our QA and dev teams are hard at work investigating all the reports and we will have updates to help resolve these issues very soon.

We know it can be frustrating to encounter an issue and we want to ensure you have the best possible experience when banishing the foul abominations of Nurgle back to the Warp. If you run into a bug or performance issue please can you raise it by either visiting our Issue Tracker or by using the Report option in the game Settings menu.

We are reviewing all your reports and feedback so do please keep them coming. We look forward to sharing our updates with you soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Enjoying it so far, and I have not encountered any bugs yet. My only complaint is the sound. Voice acting can be grating on the cultists and weapon sounds leave much to be desired.

The classes each have a nice ability/role, but I am leaning towards double interceptor groups. Teleport/hammerhead and teleport strike seem to outweigh having a Justicar.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Enjoying it so far, and I have not encountered any bugs yet. My only complaint is the sound. Voice acting can be grating on the cultists and weapon sounds leave much to be desired.

The classes each have a nice ability/role, but I am leaning towards double interceptor groups. Teleport/hammerhead and teleport strike seem to outweigh having a Justicar.
I'm wondering about the Justicars actually:
The abilities to give other actions seem quite powerful (+2 AP for 1 AP + 1 WP, or +4 AP 1WP for +1AP, 2WP). That can help a lot with a ton of classes.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
As is common with strategy games (for me, at any rate) I am learning as I go, and now that I feel like I understand the systems better, I'd like to start over. But apparently I have to do the tutorial missions all over again? This is incredibly stupid. An option to skip these is practically elementary.

Brickfrog

Learned
As is common with strategy games (for me, at any rate) I am learning as I go, and now that I feel like I understand the systems better, I'd like to start over. But apparently I have to do the tutorial missions all over again? This is incredibly stupid. An option to skip these is practically elementary.
The tutorial skip option is in the difficulty selection menu. Below the ironman option.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Justicars brings absurd AP economy. With a single AP you can pass on 2/4 AP to your Interceptor. Pair that with all the AP refreshing passives that Interceptors get from teleporting and crits and.. yeah. The Interceptor is ridiculously strong on its own, but with the Justicar buffing them they become even more powerful. IMO that's way better than having two Interceptors. Anyway, I really like the Justicar. Honor the Chapter and Provoke bring a lot of utility and with how much damage some classes dish out you can easily get away with a character who is more of a support role. Hell I have two right now. My Justicar who buffs AP and tanks enemies with Provoke, an Apothecary who literally just tags along and sends out servo skulls to collect seeds and my Librarian and Interceptor who actually kill everything.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

I'm wondering about the Justicars actually:
The abilities to give other actions seem quite powerful (+2 AP for 1 AP + 1 WP, or +4 AP 1WP for +1AP, 2WP). That can help a lot with a ton of classes.
Honor the Chapter is amazing, I just find myself enjoying the mobility of Interceptors more. I kill the seeds and teleport to safety and wait for extraction.

Justicars brings absurd AP economy. With a single AP you can pass on 2/4 AP to your Interceptor. Pair that with all the AP refreshing passives that Interceptors get from teleporting and crits and.. yeah. The Interceptor is ridiculously strong on its own, but with the Justicar buffing them they become even more powerful. IMO that's way better than having two Interceptors. Anyway, I really like the Justicar. Honor the Chapter and Provoke bring a lot of utility and with how much damage some classes dish out you can easily get away with a character who is more of a support role. Hell I have two right now. My Justicar who buffs AP and tanks enemies with Provoke, an Apothecary who literally just tags along and sends out servo skulls to collect seeds and my Librarian and Interceptor who actually kill everything.
I haven’t reached the advanced classes just yet. I imagine that shakes things up.

Justicar(s) for honor the chapter + Librarian sound like a fun combo.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The tutorial skip option is in the difficulty selection menu. Below the ironman option.

Okay, I rescind my criticism.

ETA: I just checked and it is grayed out for me. Lol. What the fuck is going on.

Last edited:

Brickfrog

Learned

Okay, I rescind my criticism.

ETA: I just checked and it is grayed out for me. Lol. What the fuck is going on.
Wut lol

Alpharius

Scholar
Seems pretty good so far on max dificulty, similar to nuxcom on hard i guess.
Not sure i like the action point farming though. Only used an +1 stun apothecay buff so far and already stunning and executing all enemies for free AP seems like the best strategy. With level up that apothecary buff will give +2, and then there is a +1 stun hammer (which can be upgraded to +2) so the total +5 stun will probably stun most normal enemies in one hit.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
My totally legitimate version of Chaos Gate came with Ultramarines. Guys, help.
BSJLwep.png

Iron Balls McGinty

I have lost 2 games completely before day 200, 1 legendary and one hard, going to learn to play properly on normal diff now lol.
The AI will try to kill you, flank you and fuck you up on all 3 levels.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Seems pretty good so far on max dificulty, similar to nuxcom on hard i guess.
Not sure i like the action point farming though. Only used an +1 stun apothecay buff so far and already stunning and executing all enemies for free AP seems like the best strategy. With level up that apothecary buff will give +2, and then there is a +1 stun hammer (which can be upgraded to +2) so the total +5 stun will probably stun most normal enemies in one hit.

Stuns are fun but I guess they can be even more fun if you can do them in an AoE. :lol: I'm glad that the Librarian was finally done some real justice in a Warham game.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
My totally legitimate version of Chaos Gate came with Ultramarines. Guys, help.
BSJLwep.png
The OG version is way more lore accurate:
Your marines shrugg off bolter and laspistol hits without problem. You can have one marine survive a full CSM squad bolter fire for one round and survive, and Marines vs CSM attacks are usually carried out with heavy weapons or Krak grenades.
But the difference between both is really similar to NuXCOM vs OG X-COM.

Btw, it you really want some random help for OG Chaos Gate:
- The librarian teleport power doesn't trigger overwatch, so you can teleport guys, and smoke the CSM with a plasma gun before he can shoot.
- Vortex is awesome, but in Mighty Heroes, it can bounce unpredicatbly, and should be used very sparingly.
- Get Quickening and displacement on all your librarians and one killing power (the flamer one is good and reliable). Then you can add fancy stuff.
- Always keep Action Points to smoke the position of your assault Marines. Try not to get too attached to them...
- The Missile Launcher with a 60 AP marine is the only weapon you'll be able to reliably fire twice in a round, without quickening.
- I think that your initial Squad of terminator has better average states than your marines will get when they reach the same level
- Don't send valuable marines on random missions. It is usually harder to make sure you don't stumble into heavy weapon overwatch, and they are a good way to get XP on your replacements.
- Don't use marines with good stats and xp as bolter marines. It is better to bench them, except for one or two dedicated to using whatever weapon you may find during the mission.
- The scanner is accurate, so you can count tiles on it to see where the enemies are located. But it can be hard to use on missions that have several levels.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I restarted my campaign to optimize further.
Although it’s still going well, I only have the starting apothecary. No apothecaries recruits have appeared so far, and 50% of recruits seem to be purgators. I am not complaining though. If anything, it’s added a new variety to the early game.

Something doesn’t seem right about the healing times. Light wounds require weeks, but critical wounds take days?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
How do you upgrade weapons and wargear? It says "research requires" but none of the research alternatives I've got seem to have anything to do with gear upgrades.

Saduj

Arcane
I have lost 2 games completely before day 200, 1 legendary and one hard, going to learn to play properly on normal diff now lol.
The AI will try to kill you, flank you and fuck you up on all 3 levels.

I've played 10.5 hours on Normal and probably need to start over. I've had a hard time collecting seeds because the game states that the only way to get them is to land a melee crit against certain enemies. I've only succeeded in that once (first attempt) despite having killed over a dozen of the bastards in melee and the game claiming that the base crit % is 35%. The chance of missing twelve 35% attempts in a row is a little under 0.6% so I guess I've just been very lucky. I know there are ways to up that % but it is hard to dictate which knight is going to be in position to get to the seed carrier in melee. It has reached a point where my research has been on hold for a month due to lack of seeds.

Just read on the Steam forums that whacking cactus with a melee attack also extracts a seed. If true, this is both a relief and a concern. Relieved that there is a reliable way to collect a critical path resource. Concerned that the developer couldn't find a way to communicate this in game.

How do you upgrade weapons and wargear? It says "research requires" but none of the research alternatives I've got seem to have anything to do with gear upgrades.

During the Grandmaster report (every 50 days), you can use two Requisition Points to unlock Recruits, Melee Weapons, Range Weapons, Armor and Items. Unlocking them makes them available as mission rewards. After a mission, you will be presented a random item from each unlocked category and if you want it, you can spend a Requisition Point to take it. Every 50 days you can spend more Requisition Points to upgrade the unlocked categories, which will give you a chance at more powerful mission rewards. It is a weird mechanic but basically you have to spend points to unlock reward categories/tiers and then you can use points to collect random loot after missions. This part of the game is not available until you've completed a few missions so it is possible you just haven't seen it yet.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
During the Grandmaster report (every 50 days), you can use two Requisition Points to unlock Recruits, Melee Weapons, Range Weapons, Armor and Items. Unlocking them makes them available as mission rewards. After a mission, you will be presented a random item from each unlocked category and if you want it, you can spend a Requisition Point to take it. Every 50 days you can spend more Requisition Points to upgrade the unlocked categories, which will give you a chance at more powerful mission rewards. It is a weird mechanic but basically you have to spend points to unlock reward categories/tiers and then you can use points to collect random loot after missions. This part of the game is not available until you've completed a few missions so it is possible you just haven't seen it yet.
Thanks, but I actually meant to ask about this stuff:
Ww4sd4wA_o.png

Each weapon has it's own upgrades, but there's no clue on how to unlock the upgrade. This game could really explain it's mechanics better, it's impossible to know if I've missed how to use this feature or if it's locked behind storyline progression.

BTW, for collecting seeds there's a special servo skull you can unlock with the "Advanced Seed Access" research project, which lets you collect seeds from carriers remotely with 100% success rate.

EDIT: yep, it's storyline locked. For some reason the Grey Knights don't know how to upgrade their gear without bits of Nurgle's corruption.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom