Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGWatch was going to shut down - taken over by Taluntain instead!

mkultra

Augur
not gonna call people out, he has the same user name here, one of the more frequent users on there (years ago), if you don't know him then what does it matter to you.. its just your ordinary piece of shit degenerate, nothing to see...

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
XFgqDR4.png

mkultra

Augur
I hope Watch users come here to colonize and civilize the Codex, it's grown unbearable due to Trumplets and other fringe politician cheerleaders who have no interest whatsoever in gaming

then this forum will be closing down in no time, you know maybe there's a reason why RPGwatch closes down and people left. this is a very active forum, if you don't like conservatives then maybe fuck off?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I hope Watch users come here to colonize and civilize the Codex, it's grown unbearable due to Trumplets and other fringe politician cheerleaders who have no interest whatsoever in gaming

then this forum will be closing down in no time, you know maybe there's a reason why RPGwatch closes down and people left. this is a very active forum, if you don't like conservatives then maybe fuck off?

How about you fuck off?

mkultra

Augur

How about you fuck off?

Why? i'm not the one complaining about the forum, i like it.

A horse of course

RPG Codex should welcome people of all political stripes, so long as power remains firmly in the hands of the libertarian right (DarkUnderlord), Varganite militas (Saint Proverbius) and Bourbon revanchists (Infinitron), and not one inch is ceded to chapotrannies (Wizardora) or chamber of commerce normalfag corporate lobbyists (felipepe).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm wondering how much of this is because Myrthos got some pushback about their uhm... views and realized that no, not everyone is on the far left side of political issues.
Although this might be more true for some of the regulars there than the actual management.

Either way, though, I get it. After 20 years of doing something, you've changed as a person and might wanna do something else. It is only natural.
I just wonder why Myrthos doesn't "just" hand over the reigns? If someone can be found that can be trusted with all that accumulated data - why not?

Then again, who the fuck would want to take over a 15 year old codebase probably with web dev libraries used by our forefathers...

Oh, well, looks like gamebanshee might be back as a regular news source for me...

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh, well, looks like gamebanshee might be back as a regular news source for me...
https://www.bluesnews.com/

Saint I think used to post a lot of news directly appropriated from Blues. It's not RPG-focussed though, there's video gaming in general and industry/hardware news too, but well sorted so you can easily skip what you don't care about. Better organized than the Banshee that is limited to showing 15 items with fancy graphics, and updated twice a day.

Pladio

Educated
Refugees not willkommen.

I'm longer here than most posters in this thread...

Me too, but not posted as much.

Also, for those who asked why he can't give to other people he explains it here. The short of it is the last sentence.

The To-Do list for RPGWatch to bring it a bit closer to this day and age is quite big. The main code base has not changed that much in 16 years. There have been changes over the time obviously, like adding SEO and increased security, but the fact remains that it is too much hassle to maintain and there are security risks. Then we have the forum software, which is old and the layout, which could use a refresher as well
smiley2.gif

In my opinion the best way forward would be to use an existing CMS that can be enhanced with add-ons and change the forum software to something like XenForo. The CMS and XenForo are maintained by others, so this would only leave the add-ons to maintain.
The database of RPGWatch has quite a few interdependencies to make sure that we can show you the right data. There is no CMS that can do this. However with some compromises I think it should be possible to use the add-on system of the CMS to add the most important functionality and make it good enough. After that the database needs to be converted to fit the new one.
I haven't invested too much time in this, so don't know for sure which CMS would be best, But my first try would be Drupal. Then again with the likes of Drupal, making sure you are using the latest version is very important as hackers are continuously trying to break it.

What would be needed are people who are good at PHP (for making the add-ons) SQL (for the database work), CSS (for the layout) and Linux (to keep everything operational). It might all be more efficient as well and you could move to a VPS, which would make the running costs lower as well.

There is no future in continuing with the RPGWatch code base.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom