Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX standalone expansion coming May 9th

Harthwain

Magister
Sounds like you lack damage dealers. I have Mordred as my Once and Future Tank, because with the items I got he has permanent 2 armour, 4 when outnumbered and gives 2 permanent armour to anyone who's next to him, so I never run out of armour.

Besides that I have Balin and Kay as my main damage dealers.

Balan is especially good versus single-target armored, while Kay is against multiple targets and has more extra armour to serve as a secondary tank (of sorts). Although now Balan has a skill that gives him temporary armour, so I guess he can take over secondary tanking duty from Kay, while I make Kay into rage-fulled beast (he still has a long way to go before that happens though).

Other than that Ector is amazingly versatile character.

His attack is literally a nuke that deals massive amount of damage (usually deleting enemy archers/crossbowmen with it) AND knocks enemies back, if they survive, acting as means of freeing other characters from being locked in combat. He also has great debuffs: one that slows down enemies AND make them vulnerable (which is perfect for ranged attacks, or just to buy more time before you have to deal with that particular enemy) and another that makes enemy attacks weaker (thus helping frontliners tank some hits), while at the same time lowering physical resistance, meaning people like Balin or Kay can go through enemies - who are usually though as nails - like knife through butter.

If I don't bring Ector, I take Dindraine or Yvain. Neither of them does anything to write home about, but combined with Mordred's upgraded Stigma (30% Vulnerability and now -2 Armour) they can attack twice per turn, which helps finish off stronger enemies that Balin or Kay are trying to kill or kill weaker enemies (or archers/crossbowmen).

Balin is mostly a filler at this point, but he's really good when combined with Mordred, because the latter can use Stigma and focuses all attacks on himself, meaning Balin can either sneak and kill enemies in the back (again, archers/crossbowmen) or just help murder someone by stabbing them in the back. He has a sword that deals maximum damage on backstab (9), ignores 50% block and gains 4 movement on kill (gets 5, if unharmed). And that's without upgrading his Hide ability yet (50% from suprise attacks).

The weakest links in terms of power are so far Lanval, Yvain and Dindraine. If I have no open slots left, then Yvain gets the boot if I spot any other great ranged character. Dindraine gets the boot if a second great ranged character appears. I have no sage so far. Lanval gets the boot if I find a second tank (can't bank everything on Mordred, although so far he was in almost every mission and ever obtained a vital wound) or an interesting melee damage dealer, because with Balin and Kay on board I already have 3 champions and Lanval does not seem to bring anything amazing to the table. He's like a much weaker Balin at the moment.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
The game is supposed to be dark (as in graphics), but everything is in a strange overly-gammaized mist or how can I put it. Anybody is experiencing that too? In-game Gamma and Brightness sliders do indeed change the overal brightness but have no impact on this strange haze :(

Codex Year of the Donut
The game is supposed to be dark (as in graphics), but everything is in a strange overly-gammaized mist or how can I put it. Anybody is experiencing that too? In-game Gamma and Brightness sliders do indeed change the overal brightness but have no impact on this strange haze :(
try disabling film grain

Harthwain

Magister
Some people say turning off G-Sync fixed the issue for them.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Oki, tried it with G-Sync switched-off, nothing's changed. However, I've seen several gameplay videos at yt by now, everyone has it like that. That's sad. Everything that is supposed to be black is grey, and everything else is tinted with a bright, grey mist sort-of. Meh. But anyway, game seems good, so I'll have to get over it I suppose. Thank you for reacting.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I've just noticed an interesting thing. Once the game is loaded, the visuals seem "normaly" dark. A second after that the visuals switch to the gray tint.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there an XP cap in this game?. In the first game you could pretty much do random missions and develop your Knights. I know it's frowned on, but I enjoyed it. My Knights were like Spacemarines by the end of the game.

Parabalus

Arcane
Any list of the Perception/Spellcraft secrets yet?

Trying to get a sense of how much I'm getting shafted by running a mission without one.
Spellcraft is just for finding out what shrines do before using them, I think? You can just save scum to find out what it is before using it.

No, there's hidden Spellcraft chests in missions that give Relic dust when you open them. Perception hidden chests give 100+ Gold, Spellcraft chests give dusts. I'm on Act3 and only found one so far and always have a hero with at least one Spellcraft, two points for most of Acts 1 and 2. Not sure if they're really rare or I've missed some.

Only Spellcraft chest I found so far is in Forbidden Keep, 200 dust.

If you find a secret post them here, won't be a better resource for this game than this thread.
There's 22-27 spellcraft chests.
same with perception

Did you keep a list?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is there an XP cap in this game?. In the first game you could pretty much do random missions and develop your Knights. I know it's frowned on, but I enjoyed it. My Knights were like Spacemarines by the end of the game.

The level cap is 25, but there's not random missions you can do ad infinitum to level up. You have main missions and side missions that have suggested levels attached. but all are handcrafted and one-and-done jobs. There's also a training hall to give some of the knights you're not using XP while you go on a mission and XP tomes that give one char a % towards next level. It's quite hard to get ahead of the curve, I'm finding by the end of the act I'm at most one level above the suggested and that's with doing everything in every main and side mission with the +10% extra XP Kingdom buff.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Is there an actual post game? Like infinite side missions after the main story?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm finding by the end of the act I'm at most one level above the suggested and that's with doing everything in every main and side mission with the +10% extra XP Kingdom buff.
It seems that doing overleveled mission nerf xp drastically. I've got like 70 xp for some story mission, marked as giving a ton of xp too, when my main party was just 1 level ahead of the curve.

Jinn

Arcane
Is there an actual post game? Like infinite side missions after the main story?

Yeah, it says so right on the store page.

The end is only the beginning
Play through the campaign (once or see multiple paths), and after that, you unlock the endgame, reserved only for the bravest. Tough new challenges appear on the map with mythic bossfights, random quests, more loot and character progression ultimately leading to the banishing of Balor, the monstrous god-king of the Fomorians.

Codex Year of the Donut

Trying to get a sense of how much I'm getting shafted by running a mission without one.
Spellcraft is just for finding out what shrines do before using them, I think? You can just save scum to find out what it is before using it.

No, there's hidden Spellcraft chests in missions that give Relic dust when you open them. Perception hidden chests give 100+ Gold, Spellcraft chests give dusts. I'm on Act3 and only found one so far and always have a hero with at least one Spellcraft, two points for most of Acts 1 and 2. Not sure if they're really rare or I've missed some.

If you find a secret post them here, won't be a better resource for this game than this thread.
same with perception

Did you keep a list?
nah I just grepped the files since you guys were curious of how frequent they are

Codex Year of the Donut
Oki, tried it with G-Sync switched-off, nothing's changed. However, I've seen several gameplay videos at yt by now, everyone has it like that. That's sad. Everything that is supposed to be black is grey, and everything else is tinted with a bright, grey mist sort-of. Meh. But anyway, game seems good, so I'll have to get over it I suppose. Thank you for reacting.
Can you post a screenshot?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Okay, so playing with various ReShade functions helped to some extend. However, I've only found functions that target the whole screen i.e. the resulting filter affects the fonts, menus and the icons also. Btw those actually don't seem to be affected by the default grey tint. Curious and curiouser. RS also introduced a small textures' quivering. Bearable, but definitely not nice. Meh, I am at a loss here.

Parabalus

Arcane
Bought a relic sword for Balin and he started exploding enemies with 2x50 damage. This is level 5, I get now why people post here that it trivializes the game.

same with perception

Did you keep a list?
nah I just grepped the files since you guys were curious of how frequent they are

Do you see their locations?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bought a relic sword for Balin and he started exploding enemies with 2x50 damage. This is level 5, I get now why people post here that it trivializes the game.

In the words of the Bachman Turner Overdrive, you ain't seen nothing yet. Check out these delightful relics my Balin is sporting:

e4hDER6.jpg

zpouj9l.jpg

Depending on spacing, my man can now take out 3, sometimes 4 enemies in an encounter and end up hidden ready for the next turn. It feels cheesy as hell, but also like the game is balanced for it on Very Hard as the mobs just chew through you if you let them have too many turns. Coupled with the skill that Morgawse has that gives her an AP every time someone dies, fights go a lot faster now.

Just done the Morgana Le Fay recruitment mission and no idea how I'd have done that without Balin, that first fight was brutal.

Saravan

Savant

In the words of the Bachman Turner Overdrive, you ain't seen nothing yet. Check out these delightful relics my Balin is sporting:

e4hDER6.jpg

zpouj9l.jpg

Depending on spacing, my man can now take out 3, sometimes 4 enemies in an encounter and end up hidden ready for the next turn. It feels cheesy as hell, but also like the game is balanced for it on Very Hard as the mobs just chew through you if you let them have too many turns. Coupled with the skill that Morgawse has that gives her an AP every time someone dies, fights go a lot faster now.

Just done the Morgana Le Fay recruitment mission and no idea how I'd have done that without Balin, that first fight was brutal.

All Vanguards also get +1 AP per kill from passive to standard attack and +1AP per kill from a tier 3 passive. Now you are up to +4AP per kill, add in a relic armor or just a blue armor that gives some movement per kill and Balin (read: basically all Vanguards) can start clearing encounters on first turn with unlimited AP/movement. That's already OP enough, now to completely break the game add in a Sage with inspire (or Lancelot) to reset the cooldown on jump and you can pretty much clear all encounters in turn 1 on Very Hard. It's broken. Should it be nerfed? I don't know, I guess it's a single player game and you can just opt to not use it if you want to challenge yourself.

Oropay

Educated
The buffs you can get from some items for resting stack, e.g., with the early +2 DMG on rest item, if you save campfires you can enter the last battle on a map with +6 or higher, trivializing it.
Interesting, I wonder whether this is true. From what I've seen, the majority of buffs/debuffs and status effects don't seem to stack, to the point that a 20% Vulnerability status from a hex will get replaced by a 10% Vulnerability from an attack, and of course bleeding does not stack, etc. Especially for vulnerability, I wish the highest percentage remained even if stacking isn't allowed for balance reasons.

Hard is kicking my balls. Anyone here having some tips for early game? I feel like that I should have picked Sir Balan instead of Sir Balin just to have someone with extra armor with me instead of anothe glass cannon.
You can actually recruit both by selecting the "You will both obey me" option, but you forgo a leadership style morality point.
This game is not about charging forward; especially in early game you want to lay out traps to weaken enemies and of course use your ranged hero to thin out the mobs. The goal is to not get touched. Get familiar with Balin's Hide button, because backstab+surprise dmg is extremely OP. He's carrying my party at the end of Act II.

I've just noticed an interesting thing. Once the game is loaded, the visuals seem "normaly" dark. A second after that the visuals switch to the gray tint.
Yep, I've seen this ugly "artistic" choice in many games and movies as well. Haven't noticed it in KA:KT but the effect is in lots of games; here are other examples (Metro Exodus has the identical loading phenomenon you mentioned, and The Evil Within 2): https://steamcommunity.com/app/601430/discussions/0/2245552086114018648/ Another one that comes to mind is one of Frogware's earlier Sherlock Holmes games

Nearly all recruitment missions are brutal. I had to use some of my tomes and decrees for one of them.
The last encounter in the Bedivere recruitment mission was impossible at level 9 for me, which was the recommended level. Went back in at level 10, with all the OP perks you get, and Balan still almost died. Really insane: 5 named enemies with powerful skills like lightning, and two had stone skin, which apparently can't be reduced with cleave, plus all the trash enemies. The kicker is that all enemies had +2AP, so the zerg rush was overpowering especially considering the stone skin.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
The last encounter in the Bedivere recruitment mission was impossible at level 9 for me, which was the recommended level. Went back in at level 10, with all the OP perks you get, and Balan still almost died. Really insane: 5 named enemies with powerful skills like lightning, and two had stone skin, which apparently can't be reduced with cleave, plus all the trash enemies. The kicker is that all enemies had +2AP, so the zerg rush was overpowering especially considering the stone skin.

And the best part is, Bedivere is a Vanguard without the jump skill, so he's straight away a trash tier Knight. He's going to be next to be booted out for me when I need a spot free.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah, I noticed Balin was something fucked up around that level. I initially thought during these loading screens when I'd jam on the keyboard pretending to be Stevie Wonder I accidentally input some sort of cheat code but no, this is Balin. This is what he does to people.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
There is no reference to fetchez la vache, unladen swallows or oral sexes after spanking. Booo. Despite this being otherwise a cool fantasy X-COM, 2/10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom