Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Actually, the G3 manual says that those are Northern Orcs that are more intelligent than their stupid brothers on Khorinis.

dBAU5nM.png

The orcs who first held Nordmar under control and now have Myrtana under their
thumb hold nothing in common with the primitive outcasts on Khorinis.

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister
You meet one smart orc in the original Gothic, and the existence of other shamans and war leader suggests there are plenty of others.

Yes, but they were nowhere near human levels. There was a distinct gap there because at the end of the day both Gothic 1 and 2 strongly imply that orcs are just being used by someone else. Be it sleeper or Beliar or someone else they were not really the players in the conflict just someones pawns.
The orcs in Gothic 3 are basically just evil humans that speak funny sometimes.
Actually, the G3 manual says that those are Northern Orcs that are more intelligent than their stupid brothers on Khorinis.
Which is still a stupid retcon because you would think someone would at least mention the fact that the orcs you are dealing with are basically a weird sub-group. I mean they had 2 games + 1 expansion to set up the ground work for different species of orcs and yet there was not even a peep about it before Gothic 3.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
r, such as Xardas somehow sealing away rune magic(but chill there is "ancient magic" that is functionally identical)

Is not functionally identical. In fact, ancient magic is way more effective than rune magic if you think a bit. A mage can't be disarmed, a "rune mage" can.

or there being a cult of humans worshiping Beliar

Not a problem. The depiction of Beliar given by G1/G2 is given by the servants of Innos. Of course the real ones are different. Making an analogy with IRL see how the Christian church depicts demons and how the ancient people pre monotheism depicts daemons. Same thing with Beliar. Is not surprising that Beliar worshipers see Beliar in a completely different way.

the orcs suddenly having brains

Different orcs in different regions have different cultures. Just like humans have different cultures in different places.

There was a distinct gap

Only very intelligent people can be magicians in Gothic universe. Yet you have a relative common amount of Orc Shamans. And is not as if G2 Orcs are completely dumb. They organized an siege and even build siege engines in valley of mines.

Last edited:

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
I never played this game and now i thinking about trying it.
So 2 questions:
1. orginal game + comunity patch or enchanced edition?
2. Are enemies respawning? if yes is there any mod to turn it off?
Question 2 is make or break for me, respawning enemies in exploration heavy game is a big no no for me

1. Get all the patches and fixes you can find; unofficial patch, the new parallel universe patch. Additional content can be nice too, albeit the voiceacting is amateurish. German voiceacting is slightly better than English. The consequenses mod is probably my favorite of the fan created mods. Although your mileage may vary, I found the English 'funny mage voice' really annoying.
2. Only low level enemies, mostly just wildlife and goblin's. High level enemies don't respawn at all. Wildlife like deer, rabbit's etc. don't attack the player. There's a % chance of respawning a couple of days after killing it, eventually the world will be empty if you keep killing the new spawns. The original Gothic 3 had no respawns, but I found this implementation doesn't bother me at all. Plants respawn the same way, simple plants respawn special plants don't

Also, go mage, archer gets boring real quick and melee is just badly implemented. As for the levelscaling mentioned in this topic, it's very manageable. You'll outlevel the enemies soon enough, since they're capped i.e. won't get tougher past a certain level.

It's the best hiking simulator out there: good exploration, the world map and positioning of towns and castles is really well done (no Morrowind's Fort Moonmoth where you can just jump over the wall because it's build beside a hill, instead of on top of it.) and a great soundtrack. But a generic story full of retcons, lazy quest design (mostly fetch quests) and (sometimes hilariously) bad character animations and movement.

soulburner

Cipher
I installed Gothic 3 on Steam with the "Patch 1.75 Steam Beta Branch" and wanted to install the Parallel Universe Patch, but the patcher claims it's an unknown game version. Any ideas? Should I install the Community Patch/Update Pack manually?

Mauman

Learned
Honestly, the dumbest retcon was making the orcs Adanos' chosen people.

Two games of killing orcs that obviously work for Beliar's minions and suddenly I'm supposed to believe that they're the chosen ones?

Not to mention that there is NO mention of this ever by the water mages, whom never give a crap about the orcs and at least in one case (Gothic 2 expansion) flat out tell you to kill them.

Sorry, not buying it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly, the dumbest retcon was making the orcs Adanos' chosen people.

Two games of killing orcs that obviously work for Beliar's minions and suddenly I'm supposed to believe that they're the chosen ones?

Not to mention that there is NO mention of this ever by the water mages, whom never give a crap about the orcs and at least in one case (Gothic 2 expansion) flat out tell you to kill them.

Sorry, not buying it.
That's retarded, but that's just starting how retarded Gothic 3 was.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I installed Gothic 3 on Steam with the "Patch 1.75 Steam Beta Branch" and wanted to install the Parallel Universe Patch, but the patcher claims it's an unknown game version. Any ideas? Should I install the Community Patch/Update Pack manually?
Sure, but then uninstall everything including the game before playing, that's the best advice you can get.

curds

Magister
I'm playing this right off the bat after finishing Gothic 2.

I used to think G3 was over hated, and that it was pretty good RPG, but I'd never played it immediately after playing its predecessor.

Coming straight from G2 really highlights the failures of this game. Namely fetch quests, the faction system being replaced by a rep system which doesn't feel as good, and terrible melee combat.

I don't see the problem with the "smarter" orcs. Was it ever even implied in the first two games that they were stupid? I thought it was just that they didn't have a decent grasp on the common tongue of the humans.

Mauman

Learned
I don't see the problem with the "smarter" orcs. Was it ever even implied in the first two games that they were stupid? I thought it was just that they didn't have a decent grasp on the common tongue of the humans.

Had nothing to do with them being smarter (in fact it was always hinted that they were smarter).

It's the stupid ass "chosen race of Adanos" ret-con that's the problem.

curds

Magister
It's the stupid ass "chosen race of Adanos" ret-con that's the problem.
I've never played far enough into g3 to know anything about that. But I would call that a plot twist rather than a retcon. Whether it's stupid or not is another matter which I won't weigh in on.

Mauman

Learned
I've never played far enough into g3 to know anything about that. But I would call that a plot twist rather than a retcon. Whether it's stupid or not is another matter which I won't weigh in on.

And I would call it a retcon.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gothic 1 and 2 is 4.7/5 in GoG. Gothic 3 is 4/5. Is G3 inferior to G2? Obviously. But is over HATED. IS not as if G3 is as bad as arcania. And I love to play G3 as an water mage.

curds

Magister
I'm playing the Velaya mod for g2 instead of g3 now. It's surprisingly well done. Enjoying it a lot so far.

Krivol

Magister
Gothic 1 and 2 is 4.7/5 in GoG. Gothic 3 is 4/5. Is G3 inferior to G2? Obviously. But is over HATED. IS not as if G3 is as bad as arcania. And I love to play G3 as an water mage.

It's 3/5 at best - exploration is boring, 99% of quests are filler, the story is bad and inconsistent with previous games (and to get it better you need a few mods that are not voiced-over), fight system is not great (RMB spam for example). Still better than Skyrim (at least the world pretends to be alive).

Codex Year of the Donut
Adanos having a chosen race at all is pants on head retarded.

The part in Gothic 2 about Adanos being angry at the paladins going too far made it clear that it's a god of balance, why would a god of balance favor any creation over another?

God, I wish there was a final chapter to the nameless hero's journey worthy of the name Gothic, even if it was fan-made.
Maybe we'll get one if the remake sells well. :troll:
I said a game WORTHY of the name Gothic, damn it!

But now, honestly, I'm optimistic about the remake. While the teaser had terrible mechanics/art direction/writing/UI, at least I had some fun exploring the map and with time and all the feedback the community gave I believe development must be in a much better direction.

The result of it might not be as good as the first Gothic, but it will probably be decent, and if it turns out to be shit anyways, we'll still have the original games.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
The melee combat system is not bad in this, wtf are you guys talking about.

disclaimer: I am playing with the community patch, alt balance, alt ai, content mod, so I have no idea how much this changes things but this is completely functional.

The animations are crap and the feedback is poor, but the SYSTEM here is completely functional and dare I say an improvement over G1/G2.

First of all, you can fight multiple enemies without feeling like you are fighting the targeting system ala og gothic. Secondly, positioning now actually matters because theres no infinite iframe backstep. There is some depth here because the variety of attacks have utility. The light attack is used to fence opponents for controlling distance, the heavy swipe is to be used as a counter attack when you have sidestepped an opponent and then you have various charged attacks for guard breaks. If I'm not mistaken, the animations also change depending on your mastery level like in G1/G2, which is unlike every subsequent PB game.

R1 combat remains the best system they ever had, but this is not at all terrible and is a damn sight better than the rubber band combat that was in R3 and ELEX.

0wca

Learned
:necro:

This game is fucking retarded.

My god, I gave it a chance because the world actually looks interesting and the exploration part was great.

But fuck me does combat SUCK ASS. I tried to manage it. I know that swordplay was always OP in gothic games, but here it's just retarded.

I was a "MASTER SWORDSMAN" and all I could do was those stupid vertical slashes, the side slashes, the heavy slash and the shield block. No new moves, nothing unlocked. Just more damage I guess and a small speed boost I think?

When you're fighting 1 enemy in this game, it is ridiculously easy - just spam the first or second attack, push them into a corner and keep clicking until they die. When there's 2 or more opponents though, you're generally fucked because the enemy locking is so stupid it never targets the one you want to. And when allies are involved, the stupid fucking system PRIORITIZES TRACKING ALLIES INSTEAD OF ENEMIES. And, on top of that, the goddamn game often DOESN'T EVEN REGISTER HITS (ranged weapons mostly). My arrow went through enemies so many times like they were ghosts. Whoever made this system can choke on their own fucking entrails.

Combat always sucked in these games in varying degrees, but Gothic I & II combat is fucking Mortal Kombat level awesome compared to this henious shit. I tried to take over a hashishin base with the nomads and kept targeting my allies constantly then got oneshotted by a spellcaster.

Fucking ragequit. The only way this game is replayable is if they remake the combat FROM THE GROUND UP. Or stick to ranged weapons exclusively but even then enemy archers will fuck you.

There's my little rant. Sorry, just had to vent because of playing this game for weeks now and finally blew my nerve.

Konjad

Patron
My god, I gave it a chance because the world actually looks interesting and the exploration part was great.
what? The world is retarded and exploration is total garbage

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom