Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

Absinthe

Arcane
Civ V AI was absolutely braindead and retarded. It's an AI that doesn't know how to wage war and will happily walk units 1 by 1 into a squad of archers so that they can die without getting a single point of damage off for 10 turns straight. When the AI is self-defeating like that and conquest is an utter joke, you have a major problem. Not familiar with how the Vox mod shakes up AI though. Back when I played, I only played multiplayer, which also avoided the inanities of erratic AI wanting to declare war on you for every little thing ("expanding too fast", "bordering them", "waged war too many times", "someone denounced you, setting off a chain reaction of more denunciations as more civs began disliking you, so now suddenly everyone hates you", "the devs thought it'd be really cool and interesting to make me randomly backstab my allies", etc.) even though their ability to wage war was laughably pitiful, and they weren't exactly clever builders either (but at least they had cheats).

And I think the idea of playing a game with zero challenge is really just a product of the last decade of games or so being increasingly zero challenge games intended to give participation rewards, giving rise to a particularly incompetent breed of gamers (who I actually hesitate to call gamers at all, since challenge is intrinsic to a game and they seem to prefer the removal of this core element that makes a game a game).

Anyway, civac2, you're really going to have to explain what you're on about. Making nebulous statements like "The core mechanics of the game though odd also work decently that's why it's a good MP game." and "From a gameplay perspective, Civ6 is a solid game beneath the flaws and bugs. Far better than Civ5 certainly though that's a low bar. A lot of the mechanics are quite odd but ultimately work OK." is pretty useless when we can't tell which gameplay elements you are praising and why. How is Civ VI better in your book?

Actually, maybe we should start a new thread on the Civ V vs Civ VI comparison?

civac2

Novice
I was hardly praising anything. Civ6 wins by default because (vanilla) Civ5 is a stain.

The core problem with vanilla Civ5 is the happiness system which makes expanding near impossible or at least non-profitable. As such it is not really a 4x game at all. I know there are mods which try to fix this like the aforementioned Vox populi. These mods usually also overhaul the bafflingly terrible balance of the Social Policy system. Civ6 is better than vanilla Civ5 just by virtue of allowing you to expand. The building with districts and and the policy cards is fine. Not sure what you want me to say about it. It has less depth than Civ4 but there is some. The tactical combat system in Civ6 is arguably a bit better implemented with less dominance of ranged units and ability of combine units of the same type (which reduces the traffic jam).

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
1upt and getting away from being one of the modfriendliest games ever ruined it. There are still several large mods being updated for the ancient civ4 engine. That shows how good it is at supplying modded content.

At this point they should just start handing it out for free + all DLC's included. The game's pretty much abandoned, the last patch was in April of 2021, AI is still dumber than ever and they still can't be arsed to fix some of the basic typos like siege tactics eureka stating it requires two bombards whereas it's actually trebuchets etc.
All things considered, I sincerely hope they never make another one if they plan on sticking to the 6's aesthetics and design philosophy.

flyingjohn

Arcane
At this point they should just start handing it out for free + all DLC's included
The game still sells daily so no from a profit viewpoint.
The game's pretty much abandoned
The game is finished.
the last patch was in April of 2021
Which was a bad thing considering they broke a lot of stuff with the final patches.
AI is still dumber than ever
The patches have helped the AI,especially when it comes to air.But every new dlc broke it even further so currently it can only play 1/3 of the game,badly.
they still can't be arsed to fix some of the basic typos like siege tactics eureka
Most of the game code is riddled with typos causing issues.It is not just small things.
All things considered, I sincerely hope they never make another one
Civ 7 will be announced next year probably.
if they plan on sticking to the 6's aesthetics
Of course they will,reusing same assets is cheaper.Plus,the main art guy is still the same.
design philosophy
This just needs to be refined.The design was not as atrocious as V or BE,but it was a lot like Galciv 3.A lot of systems that don't interact with each other and the Ai can't play around.

Who's even buying it currently? The original diehard fans have had it for years by now. I'd like to dissect one of those zoomer specimens buying the game on the fly, failing a game on Settler then promptly never opening it again lmao. AFAIK the steam statistics indicate that only something like 40(?)% of players have ever completed a game on Settler difficulty or higher.

As for the rest... If by "finished" you mean feature complete, that has been the case for quite a while now, minus the meme bloatware like corporations, heroes etc which AI can't even utilize properly and is there basically to sway the game into player's favor. I literally don't use any of the optional mods since I'm doing exclusively no lube deity runs. If however, you mean finished in a sense that there's a functional game underneath all the bullshit they tacked onto it, I reckon we'd both agree that's far from the case. Hence in those terms, it is absolutely abandoned, semi-broken mess where the AI is arguably not serviceable enough for a competent player to have a genuine, non artificial challenge.
The patches have helped the AI
Shot it right through the skull by implementing artificial, half-arsed """fixes""" like:
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/oe4yqg/3_lines_of_code_in_april_patch_that_shot_the_ai/

Anyway, I'll take Civ 5 over 6 in many ways, primarily due to the the fact that Civ 6 makes the wide play blobbing be all end all due to the fact that amenities quite literally do not matter lmao. The most tallish game I've had on Civ 6 deity still warranted 5 cities with Germany where I beelined for a science victory and even then I needed some retrograde Jupiter tier of luck in ancient and classical eras to avoid wars, yet expand with ease while bloating like a drowned corpse with production.

Last edited:

civac2

Novice
Tall play is an absurd bugbear. If you don't want to build an Empire don't play an empire building game. Or stick to tiny maps or 5-city challenge runs if you don't enjoy managing many cities. If the game mechanics themselves indulge that kind of thing it hurts the game (cf. Civ5).

The primary point is that going ridiculously wide doesn't have a single drawback due to the simple fact that again - amenities are 100% irrelevant. I want versality and compromise in my gameplay, not a one size fits all meta.

Modron

Arcane
Better be a fucking new Civilization installment and not a paid dlc. How many complete version bundles of the game can they make? Had a Complete bundle supplanted by a Platinum bundle, are they going to veer into Neverwinter Nights Diamond territory? Probably yes since base game is 90% off right now.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Of fucking course they were going to add nzinga mbande and glorify her, when in reality she was the cumrag of Portugal and then Holland, and was butthut that yuro were putting a stop to the main local industry, i.e slavery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom