Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Have any of the builds of Duke Nukem Forever ever leaked?

Shinji

Savant
Bike

lightbane

Arcane
Looks good, but why is Duke fighting regular/human-looking cops instead of pig ones? Brainwashing?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
2001 build looked superb for the time. Those character models are really detailed, wouldn't have looked out of place in a game released 2 or even 3 years later.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Those graphics are absolutely insane for 2001, Max Payne was the best-looking shooter at the time and this demo has better lightning, character model and even VFX how did this even run on consumer hardware back in 2001?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Those graphics are absolutely insane for 2001, Max Payne was the best-looking shooter at the time and this demo has better lightning, character model and even VFX how did this even run on consumer hardware back in 2001?
NOLF 2 came out in 2002 and looked about the same, if not better.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
NOLF 2 came out in 2002 and looked about the same, if not better.

NOLF2 did indeed have very good models and lighting for the time, though old Monolith were superb at engine development so I guess not that surprising.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You gotta admit that the game does look dark. And if I remember right, that was one of the reasons they decided to switch engines.

Let's hope someone adds raytracing to this build and solves the issue.

I'm super excited.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Looks good, but why is Duke fighting regular/human-looking cops instead of pig ones? Brainwashing?

latest

From 2001, methinks.

Wunderbar

Arcane
You gotta admit that the game does look dark.
Unreal engine 1 has a weird quirk of making captured footage darker than the game really is.

I had a similar problem when playing The Wheel of Time - the actual game was bright, but screenshots were so dark I couldn't discern anything barring hud.

schru

Arcane
You gotta admit that the game does look dark.
Unreal engine 1 has a weird quirk of making captured footage darker than the game really is.

I had a similar problem when playing The Wheel of Time - the actual game was bright, but screenshots were so dark I couldn't discern anything barring hud.
Screenshots and probably also videos of Unreal engine games don't capture the in-game gamma setting; this applies to the in-game screenshot function too. This can be got around with by using a program like Fraps or using one of the new user-made renderers that include the option to capture gamma-correct screenshots.

At any rate, I don't think it could have been a problem with the engine as Unreal and Unreal Tournament are bright and colourful enough, it's just that the original Direct3D renderer (this applies to Deus Ex too) doesn't work correctly on newer systems and the brightness setting can't be adjusted (and Unreal is even darker because of the MultiTexture feature). I think 3D Realms just intended for those levels to be somewhat dark or didn't finish the lighting work.

Riskbreaker

There is a cynical part of me that cannot but draw connections between this leak happening just now, after so much time, and Nu3DR announcing their "AAA reboot" of some as yet unspecified classic FPS series.
But hey, if there really is a connection then this would be a helluva nice move on their part (and, given their track record, it might even be the only worthwhile thing to come out of that new project of theirs).

schru
I had this issue with the Dark Engine games, Thief 1/2, where I generally had to touch up the gamma in screenshots to make them intelligible whereas the visibility is just fine in game

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since we have lived in the time of retro shooters for the last few years I have at several times asked myself why Gearbox doesn't just release the old version on DNF as a "boomer shooter"? Anyway nice to see that it's coming with source code and all. Looks great!

Dodo1610

Arcane
Since we have lived in the time of retro shooters for the last few years I have at several times asked myself why Gearbox doesn't just release the old version on DNF as a "boomer shooter"? Anyway nice to see that it's coming with source code and all. Looks great!

DNF was never finished so there is nothing Gearbox can sell. Randy Pitchfork certainly isn't going to give it away for free

toughasnails

Stellar news, I think that most people p much gave up hope on this ever happening.
Given the way early builds of HL and Stalker were received in their respective communities, I can see us getting multiple projects that try to restore the "original vision" on the basis of this... and probably a fair bit of drama.

randir14

Augur
Nice that we'll finally get to play it. Years ago Randy Pitchford claimed he would released all the old material in some form, but obviously he's full of shit.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

DNF was never finished so there is nothing Gearbox can sell. Randy Pitchfork certainly isn't going to give it away for free
But how much would it actually cost to finish it? The PR is for free since everyone will be talking about it. Other companies can make profitable boomer shooter so why can't Gearbox? And DNF 2001 would be the boomer shooter that outsells them all.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
55ddmq.png

I can understand wanting to cover his ass and even downplay it a bit since if Gearbox tries to investigate who the leaker is, he's probably be a prime suspect but man, this reeks of, "This is my fault it never came out but I don't want to admit it."

Regardless, I hope the people who have it are being honest with the release date. There was a bit of a song and dance with this back in 2020 with someone also leaking videos if I recall, but at least these guys seem a lot more forthcoming about it.

randir14

Augur
Probably leaked by Schreiber himself, other than Randy Pitchford he's the only one with confirmed access to all the old data. A few years ago he said he wanted to release it:
https://forums.duke4.net/topic/9930...-to-be-almost-complete-but-it-probably-wasnt/

Also why would supposed "leakers" announce a release date instead of just putting it out right away, and why would they waste their time doing things like adding widescreen support

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom