Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Nathir

Liturgist
I actually got the Shura ending on my first playthrough, because I was roleplaying and the option to obey your "father" seemed like it would fit more. Of course taking that side it immediately locks you into the bad ending and it means you were a bloodthirsty demon somehow.

Lambach

Arcane
Tbf, both the Sculptor and Isshin drop hints you're starting to look and "feel" kinda sus Shura-y long before you reach that ending (well, Isshin doesn't drop a hint, per se, he says it outright), so I wouldn't say you become a bloodthirsty demon out of nowhere. It's just that the decision to obey your father leads you into kidnapping a child you're sworn to protect for the purposes of bleeding him and stabbing the only non-mass killer in the game (other than Kuro) in the throat, which I suppose is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Lambach

Arcane
This thing about Sekiro is funny, because real katanas are pretty brittle and using them for blocking may quickly lead to breaking them. Real samurai to defend themselves were either dodging or counterattacking.

To keep getting to that final annoying stage I had to keep killing Emma over and over. It was disheartening.

Also relevant to the above video:

Nathir

Liturgist
Oh, I agree that's what they were going for. I just thought the effects of that decision would focus more on different story beats and on Wolfs inner struggle to decide what's right. Up to that point, even though there were allusions to Shura the story progressed the same. There were no instances where you had options to choose from that would nudge you into a certain direction. Then this choice immediately sets you on two paths that are very clearly defined as good and evil. Not what I was expecting when making that decision.

This thing about Sekiro is funny, because real katanas are pretty brittle and using them for blocking may quickly lead to breaking them. Real samurai to defend themselves were either dodging or counterattacking.

To keep getting to that final annoying stage I had to keep killing Emma over and over. It was disheartening.

Also relevant to the above video:

What? You can parry Shichimen violet balls? Now I feel stupid for trying to run past them and rushing the boss, while using some consumable.

Lambach

Arcane
What? You can parry Shichimen violet balls? Now I feel stupid for trying to run past them and rushing the boss, while using some consumable.

You can parry them. In theory. I'd still go with your current approach, though.

Thing is, this Ongbal dude that uploaded the video, he is, as the kids nowadays say, "built different". Even after watching his videos and studying the patterns for these uncommon parries from him, I was able to replicate them maybe 1 time out of 10. Maybe it's just because my reflexes are shit, but if you watch some of his other videos, you'll see how much that motherfucker mastered the parry game to a level us mere mortals can't hope to achieve.

I mean, the crazy fucking bastard plays Elden Ring like a parry-based game, ffs.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

You can parry them. In theory. I'd still go with your current approach, though.

Thing is, this Ongbal dude that uploaded the video, he is, as the kids nowadays say, "built different". Even after watching his videos and studying the patterns for these uncommon parries from him, I was able to replicate them maybe 1 time out of 10. Maybe it's just because my reflexes are shit, but if you watch some of his other videos, you'll see how much that motherfucker mastered the parry game to a level us mere mortals can't hope to achieve.

I mean, the crazy fucking bastard plays Elden Ring like a parry-based game, ffs.

Pretty sure Ongbal is an AI sent to make us all feel bad about our abilities so that when the machines rise up, we just surrender since we'll already know we can't win.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Sword fights look ridiculous in pretty much all video games and all movies.

If only we would stop showing people bashing center of mass with a sword as if there was any purpose to it. It's not even that good blunt force wise because of the high surface contact area, light weight and springiness of the metal use in swords which will absorb some of the blunt force you're trying to inflict with the blade (metal in a sword is springy because such a thin piece of metal would break if it couldn't bend).

Axes and maces make more sense visually in souls games, you're not going to like being bashed by an axe to the torso even if it doesn't penetrate your mail.

Nirvash

Liturgist
1sxPmi8.jpg

hag pussy slayed, no... AXED

God this game need a medroid style map

Andnjord

Arcane
Okay, just found the doubled headless fight in the waters of Fountainhead Palace. What the actual fuck From...
:prosper:

EDIT: And now the second Ashina Elite fight. At least the double underwater headless was dumb but easy, this on the other hand...
REDIT: And down too he went. O'rin' death counter has finally been beaten. In this end I stopped trying to react to the millisecond you get before he does his double slash and was managing to sense when he was going to do it a moment before his AI decided to. Fuck him. :rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Love the ashina elite fight
I find him too much of a one dimensional fight for me to find him enjoyable, everything revolves around that one double slash. Can you deflect that one attack? Great, fight's over in 20 seconds. Having issues with it? Prepare for half an hour or more of attempts. Which is pretty much what happened to me, the first one I fought went down after a couple of tries, just enough to figure out what's the deal with him, the read eye one though was just pain and misery. By the way are there actually any differences in their moveset or is just a case of the red eye dealing more damage (damage that is actually inconsequential since they both killed me in two double slashes due to the extra health you get at that point) and being extra vulnerable to fire?

In case they're the same, it's a great demonstration of how your reflexes can fluctuate between days, I could deflect the first one on reaction consistently, but could maybe get it 50% of the time for the second one. Only when I managed to sense his pattern ahead of time and predicted rather than reacted could I beat him.

Sekiro is the only From game where "git gud" actually applies

But when you git gud you git really gud and suddenly bosses go from taking too long to kill to dying too fast and oh shit I better use Demon Bell so I don't fly through everything as fast. It started out to me as a game that seemed way harder than any Souls game and ended up feeling easier than them after few runs.

Salvo

Arcane
Sekiro is easily From's masterpiece to this day. And I say that as someone who only played it for 25 hours and rage-quit at Über-Monke for throwing shit at me. I do intent do finish it though before Putin nukes the world.
It's miles better than Elden Ring, unfortunately public opinion does not agree with me and we're going to get Elden Ring 2 and not continuations to Sekiro

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sekiro is easily From's masterpiece to this day. And I say that as someone who only played it for 25 hours and rage-quit at Über-Monke for throwing shit at me. I do intent do finish it though before Putin nukes the world.
It's miles better than Elden Ring, unfortunately public opinion does not agree with me and we're going to get Elden Ring 2 and not continuations to Sekiro

So terrible that the RPG will be iterated on and not the rhythm action game.

Salvo

Arcane

So terrible that the RPG will be iterated on and not the rhythm action game.
Can't wait for more delayed attacks and copypasted minibosses

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
To be honest it's not a sure thing they wouldn't develop Sekiro 2 along with Elden Ring 2. From is known for producing multiple games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom