Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG you'd like to see made?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Modern remakes of SSI games without SJW BS and 5E BS would be amazing too. Imagine Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession with modern graphics... Sadly even if by some miracle it happens, Woketards will impose 5e on it...

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Modern remakes of SSI games without SJW BS and 5E BS would be amazing too. Imagine Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession with modern graphics... Sadly even if by some miracle it happens, Woketards will impose 5e on it...
It is possible that they'd also impose vampires identifying themselves as non-binary mummies and the dr. Not-Frankenstein and his Non-Monster will be in a lesbian relationship.

A game with at least two big cities where you can actually enter every building (some of the with a great number of floors even) and every room in every building. I'd explore the shit out of that, no matter the quality of the rest of the game.

Theme: Anything but steampunk

baldur's gate

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It'd be Faggystein monster more likely.
QNV8TKI.png

717bY3w.jpg

I never liked those characters. They're literal "cereal killers". ..... yuck!

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
A VtM:B sequel, but not made by a Commiefornia studio set in Commiefornia, Soy York or Soyattle, a spiritual successor in Prague, Odesa, or other central/eastern European urban fantasy vampire game made by a guy like Daniel Vávra.
Yeah, I’d like to see more modern urban fantasy in general using original IPs. There’s a wealth of public domain resources to drawn upon, as well as generic urban fantasy tropes that aren’t copyrighted. You can’t copyright ideas like “the character classes represent different species of vampire, werewolf, or whatever.”

Cataphract

Literate
A crpg set in the modern world, a similar vibe to stick rpg but with the depth of an actual crpg

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I used to want to see a Star Trek RPG, like a proper one in the TNG timeline. But now that I've seen what these degnerates have done to the property, I'd rather they leave it the fuck alone.

So, RPGs I'd like to see:

1) RIFTs! Would be fucking awesome, but probably too big.
2) A proper Midkemia/Feist RPG.
3) I'd play the living shit out of a Conan the Barbarian RPG, even a single-player action game ala The Witcher 3.
4) Something based of David Gemmell's work would be cool, but I'm guessing they'd fuck it up.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Blobber RPG similar to Wizardry 8, with similar combat system. It has not to have 'Wizardry' in the title. There are like dozens of games made in the style of the earlier Wizardries (developed mostly by the japanese), even Wizardry 7 appreciators got their GRIMOIRE, but I am yet to encounter a blobber RPG of the Wizardry 8 variety (that is not Wizardry 8 or a mod for it).

vibehunter

Learned
An in-depth, turn-based tactical RPG in a sci-fi setting. Preferably not a modern XCOM-like.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A VtM:B sequel, but not made by a Commiefornia studio set in Commiefornia, Soy York or Soyattle, a spiritual successor in Prague, Odesa, or other central/eastern European urban fantasy vampire game made by a guy like Daniel Vávra.
Yeah, I’d like to see more modern urban fantasy in general using original IPs. There’s a wealth of public domain resources to drawn upon, as well as generic urban fantasy tropes that aren’t copyrighted. You can’t copyright ideas like “the character classes represent different species of vampire, werewolf, or whatever.”

I'd like to see an urban fantasy RPG focusing more on modern urban legends mixed with sinister witchcraft/magery rather than the overused vampires & werewolves. Urban fantasy doesn't have to be about those two all the time.

What about covens of witches performing blood sacrifice rituals? Various different religious groups performing different types of magic - you could join the Catholic exorcist faction, or the neopagan rune-sage faction, or some East Asian faction using Chinese magic, or some voodoo negros, etc.
Fight weird demonic monsters inspired by mythology and modern horror. Use magic that is more about performing weird rituals than throwing fireballs. Uncover weird shit like a haunted video game or something. The snuff video quest from VtM: Bloodlines was perfect urban fantasy, mixing fantasy monsters with phenomena of modern society and technology.

I'd rather fight strange cults of human wizards meddling with powers they don't understand, than yet another vampire clan.

Brickfrog

Learned
I want a tactical rpg based on the weird fiction/urban fantasy novel Kraken by China Mieville. Focused gameplay/combat/itemization like dungeon rats but more built up with story-relevant magical/sci-fi weaponry and items. Linear narrative with numerous companions based on the novel who have a wide array of "talents" ranging from abominable transformative fusions with octopi, mastery of eldritch topographical magics, to a powerful wizard who has suffered the misfortune of being turned to ink and tattooed on the shoulder blades of an unsuspecting metal-head, etc

Closer to Tyranny in size than Pathfinder. $30-$35 on steam.

Last edited:

Strig

Learned
I'd like to see an urban fantasy RPG focusing more on modern urban legends mixed with sinister witchcraft/magery rather than the overused vampires & werewolves. Urban fantasy doesn't have to be about those two all the time.

From my personal experience modern urban fantasy seems to be popular mostly among people with fairly limited imagination. Probably because it's the most pedestrian form of fantasy. Your idea would require more research than your average Facebook coven group for teenage Wiccan xe/xir witches can provide or you'd just get creepypasta outtakes about Slenderman. Not to mention that a modern setting makes it very easy for "political types" to inject their brainrot into the narrative. That's why I'd take everything you said and just plonk it into the roaring twenties. Pulpy adventure is a bit harder to mess with and any attempt is even more obvious. I won't deny though that this would be fun:

AvYuctl.png

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

What about covens of witches performing blood sacrifice rituals? Various different religious groups performing different types of magic - you could join the Catholic exorcist faction, or the neopagan rune-sage faction, or some East Asian faction using Chinese magic, or some voodoo negros, etc.
Fight weird demonic monsters inspired by mythology and modern horror. Use magic that is more about performing weird rituals than throwing fireballs. Uncover weird shit like a haunted video game or something. The snuff video quest from VtM: Bloodlines was perfect urban fantasy, mixing fantasy monsters with phenomena of modern society and technology.

I'd rather fight strange cults of human wizards meddling with powers they don't understand, than yet another vampire clan.
Firstly, those things aren't mutually exclusive. You don't have to pick one or the other. You can have multiple different games focusing on different things. You can have witches, vampires, werewolves, etc all in the same game. You can even have vampire witches, werewolf witches, vampire werewolves, vampire werewolf witches, etc. The pitch I'm working on includes a variety of paranormal creatures like ghouls, succubi, einwetoks, and so on to keep things fresh.

Secondly, vampires & werewolves aren't overused in video games and the format is so different that you can't really compare it to all those interchangeable paranormal romance novels. I can't think of any memorable games involving them beyond Bloodlines. This is like saying that steampunk fantasy is oversaturated when Arcanum is the only data point we have. I wish we had more games like Bloodlines and Arcanum.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
From my personal experience modern urban fantasy seems to be popular mostly among people with fairly limited imagination. Probably because it's the most pedestrian form of fantasy.
I'd say it has more to do with the genre being oversaturated with paranormal romance and vampires and werewolves being easily sexualized. Although this goes in trend cycles. Angels and dragons seem to be the current fad IIRC.

Mikeal

Arcane
Game where you are chosen one, avatar, champion, highest paladine of some god but instead of doing gay shit like saving the world you fuck up shit of other gods. Temple burning, priestesses raping, killing other chosen ones/holy animals/etc.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Game where you are chosen one, avatar, champion, highest paladine of some god but instead of doing gay shit like saving the world you fuck up shit of other gods. Temple burning, priestesses raping, killing other chosen ones/holy animals/etc.
cmlnaW5hbC5qcGc

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If only Populous had been turned into an RPG!

544407-populous-ii-trials-of-the-olympian-gods-screenshot.jpg
544409-populous-ii-trials-of-the-olympian-gods-screenshot.jpg

544400-populous-ii-trials-of-the-olympian-gods-screenshot.jpg
544404-populous-ii-trials-of-the-olympian-gods-screenshot.jpg

Ladonna

Arcane
More Proudfoot games. A finished Pirates of the Western Seas would be a great start.

I would put forward other game possibilities, but my faith in today's developers to get things right is too low.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom