Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX standalone expansion coming May 9th

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ecret chests that need 2 perception and spellcraft only started to appear for me in act 3, those +perception trinkets really slowed me down in vain for all this time...

Game is really not telling a lot of things about its mechanics, makes me wonder if they are intended or not.

How many chests did you find in A1 and A2?

I think I did 1+1 in A1, which seems extremely little.

I've found a single secret chest so far and I'm halfway into Act 2 - admittedly I didn't make sure to have Perception with me all the time.

Parabalus

Arcane
So my round table is full, and I have a lvl 10 Isolde (rest is lvl 8) in the aspirants who I'd like to add.

To do that, I'd need to permanently dismiss someone - is Lanval a good choice? Does he have any extra missions later on?

Or Lady Dindraine, after her Act 1 mission?

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
To do that, I'd need to permanently dismiss someone - is Lanval a good choice? Does he have any extra missions later on?
Lanval has a very weird and very specific function in my run - he sits for eternity in training grounds and thanks to his bonus xp from training he outlevels my main party. This allows me to use Joust (Knight's Tournament) on my main composition since you need to be two levels behind from the highest character in your round table.

I do not think anyone outside of the main storyline has their own quests.

And my biggest regret - I kicked out all Marksmans, but it turned out you need at least one to get the best results from some Global Map events.

Last edited:

Saravan

Savant
Lanval has a very weird and very specific function in my run - he sits for eternity in training grounds and thanks to his bonus xp from training he outlevels my main party. This allows me to use Joust on my main composition since you need to be two levels behind from the highest character in your round table.

I do not think anyone outside of the main storyline has their own quests.

And my biggest regret - I kicked out all Marksmans, but it turned out you need at least one to get the best results from some Global Map events.

Interesting, I must have missed this. How can you tell which global events require (or prefer) a specific class?

Cael

Arcane
Lanval seems to be pretty good at those event missions. They neatly sidesteps his "I am wounded, and will sulk until I am healed to max" thumb sucking.

Daidre

Arcane
Interesting, I must have missed this. How can you tell which global events require (or prefer) a specific class?
There are some cues in mission description - when it something about druidic rituals, for example, than better to send some Old Faith characters, when there is a mention of traversing some complicated forest - than you need Marksman, if it is about some Christian event - than you need Christian. I saw at least one for Ruthless heroes for example and one gender specific.

It is usually difference between normal success and critical success. Normal is +20% xp and +2 Loyalty, when critical is +40% xp, loyalty and some bonus on top, like money, resources, item or even building upgrade.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
ecret chests that need 2 perception and spellcraft only started to appear for me in act 3, those +perception trinkets really slowed me down in vain for all this time...

Game is really not telling a lot of things about its mechanics, makes me wonder if they are intended or not.

How many chests did you find in A1 and A2?

I think I did 1+1 in A1, which seems extremely little.

Either 2+1 or 3+1 not much spellcraft chests in act 1 (or I couldn't find some) , didn't take any notes sadly and my brain is sponge. I think it is safe to say there is a secret chest in every 3 or 4 missions. Some of them are really in edges of the map but some of the are on main path or near campfire.

And yeah, events that need you a knight to solve depends of the knights skills, traits and morality most of the time. Last night I send White Knight to a song duel with a Pict chieftain. Our choir boy owned that uncultered barbarian with psalm singing power. :obviously: There are hints in event window, it is really a nice change nowadays that game wants you to read and think before you act.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
My main group become Mordred, White Knight
Lady Guinevere and Merlin
Really good compostion for very hard difficulty. Need some relics to shine but now I don't even feel need to use campfire most of the time. Maybe it things will change after some late act 4.

Mordred: Found a relic sword rune that has high armor piercing, gave him lots of armor and armor regen from HP regen. Lightning bolt and chain lightning are both good with armor striping or archer/caster sniping. Mostly here because a good damage sponge and a badass. Also heals vitalty after missions naturally and is main character...
White Knight: Hits like a truck and sure moves like one... Had to up his loyalty for +1 AP and gave some + AP gear. Once he got some kills and enraged he'll one shot most of normal enemies that you softend up a bit.
Lady Guinevere:
. Support, C&C and not that bad damage. Got her a nice relic sword rune that give nice damage boost to melee after each spell cast. After 3 spell casts can teleport (which counts as another spell :cool:) and one shot most normal enemies. Got some CD lowering gear also and with her CD lowering traits your team becomes unstopable. Also got nice party wide healing for HP and Vitality with her T3 passives.
Merlin:
Whiny little bitch, his negative trait really hurts but I'm using him for mostly C&C. While Sir Ector is better for damaging and debuffing this prick with his illusion spells can save the day. You can always bring Sir Ector instead of him (after buffing his hex density and DCs he's godly) but I bench him for phat goldz (lol only 100 g... )

Daidre

Arcane
I am playing missions after main story now and preparing for the Very Last Boss.
My party:

Mordred
I've abandoned any attempts to do any damage with him, so full tank mod. Stigma is very nice debuff a stun from Thunderbolt to switch off highest value target on the battlefield is priceless.

Vanguard - Boudecia, before her Balin with traps.
Standard jumping-hiding-backstabbing vanguard. Can't imagine my life without one, because even without cheaty AP restoration per kill, Vanguard's Backstab + Surprise attacks are my only real options against 500-1000 HP mobs in post-main-story missions.

Sage
Guinevere
Really wanted to bench her for Lancelot but turned out that asshole is intolerant toward tyrannical characters in the party. But he just can't compare because on top of Inspire for extra AP and cd reset she got:
- Bless for Vanguard
- Sage Relics that often buff the whole party
- Ice Wall. I've discovered how amazing it is way after I got access to that spell but damn thing is priceless. It covers you from enemy archers, halts melees and sends AI into huge dilemma whether to break it or not. And it freezes everyone around it when it breaks or expires. Or you could break it yourself to freeze everyone around it.

Arcanist - Ector
Went into many directions with him over 50 hours but a just love his whole kit. Fire Spells and burning dot are extremely well supported with items and relics, he gets Fire Blast Early and Fire Wall with it fully configurable shape is better than it looks on the first glance.
My newfound love is the Death Hex that just removes 50% of boss/nastiest critter hp to soften them for the Vanguards backstabs. Never used it until the endgame though, never had a need. Blood Hex is probably his only useless ability but all hexes have a low AP costs so I use them to trigger -1 Cooldown reset from Mindstorm.
Tried to use
Merlin
but he got negative Loyalty for me and I never achieved the same proficiency with his spells as with Ector's. He has some interesting options there, I admit.

On other classes.
Marksmans suck. No way around it. Champions shine in early game but never come close to Vanguard's damage output and their tanking power is questionable in the best of times. And other defenders only needed to fill the role when Mordred is wounded and needs time to heal up.
And in general, I had a very bad experience with anyone built around poison and bleed.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Yeah Icewall and Death Hex are both amazing. Blood Hex is good for removing enemies physical resists but that's a 3 point buy there.

I can't really use Vanguards, they fell too OP even with AP regain stuff. Not really suitable for my righteous Christian round table :obviously: (I had to admit that I have used them in earlier mission, especially for act 2 recuitment missions, very hard does not fuck around in this game)

But going to abuse them all the way in my second playthrough, tyranical Old Faither.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Very similar to my experiences Daidre, though I cannot see myself using Vanguards again unless the game throws something insane at me. They simply break the game in half

Daidre

Arcane
Very similar to my experiences Daidre, though I cannot see myself using Vanguards again unless the game throws something insane at me. They simply break the game in half
It is true for the most of the main game I guess, but I have no idea what class has enough damage output to clean things like that in post-game:
CZcH0c6.png
And this one on the lower scale of enemy numbers.

Harthwain

Magister
Blood Hex is probably his only useless ability but all hexes have a low AP costs so I use them to trigger -1 Cooldown reset from Mindstorm.
I love it - it reduces physical debuff resist against melee attacks so much that my Champions (Balan, Kay) can often one-shot powerful enemies, even when they have a lot of Health and Armour.

Marksmans suck. No way around it.
I am making them work so far. Since I seldom use Vanguards and prefer to turtle up having various "pokers" to hit vulnerable targets or finish off weakened opponents suits my playstyle better. That and Ector is so far my only other ranged character.

Parabalus

Arcane
What's the take on Merlin's alternative?

He seems much stronger than her.

Also funny how for the battle you have all the tier 3 skills, then after you get them, they are nerfed to lvl 10 and lose them.

Daidre

Arcane
Sage without Inspire and Bless. It is like a sentence. Same as Vanguard without a jump.

I am making them work so far. Since I seldom use Vanguards and prefer to turtle up having various "pokers" to hit vulnerable targets or finish off weakened opponents suits my playstyle better. That and Ector is so far my only other ranged character.
I think we are a talking about different stages of the game. There are several Marksmans in chapters 1-2 and player supposed to use them a lot but not many Arcanists and Sages. Imho, Archers get outclassed by mages around the time when t3 skills open.

Harthwain

Magister
I think we are a talking about different stages of the game. There are several Marksmans in chapters 1-2 and player supposed to use them a lot but not many Arcanists and Sages. Imho, Archers get outclassed by mages around the time when t3 skills open.
This could be the case.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
There is a spellcraft 2 requiring secret chest in Return of the King (13 level) mission. Just north of the vulnerability debuffing shrine, near a pit with giant bones.

Parabalus

Arcane
XP loss due to overleveling is brutal. +1 level -50%, +2 levels -75%, +3 levels -100%.

Sage without Inspire and Bless. It is like a sentence. Same as Vanguard without a jump.

I've found archer's pretty useless the entire time, even in A1. Only useful when Force Bolt isn't enough to 1 hit enemy archers, which depends on items.

Is it that bad? I know her class is Sage but seemed closer to an Arcanist.

notpl

Arbiter

He seems much stronger than her.

Also funny how for the battle you have all the tier 3 skills, then after you get them, they are nerfed to lvl 10 and lose them.
Merlin's alternative is probably the strongest offensive spellcaster in the game. She gets two separate elemental mastery skills, each with its own bonus damage passive, and they stack, allowing her to cast chain lightning for ludicrous damage and near-immediate cooldown. The fact that she gets to wear armor and can tank with ice shield is just a bonus.

Harthwain

Magister
XP loss due to overleveling is brutal. +1 level -50%, +2 levels -75%, +3 levels -100%.
Where you get the info about the XP loss? Makes me happy I am trying to level up knights somewhat evenly. Right now the only underleveled character is Tristan but he is relatively fresh addition and has to sit out a mission due to an injury gained via the event.

Daidre

Arcane
Is it that bad? I know her class is Sage but seemed closer to an Arcanist.
I took her for one mission for a test run and changed my choice later. At t2 she was much worse than her alternative. But starting from the chapter 3 new good items supporting Ice skills appeared.
Merlin's alternative is probably the strongest offensive spellcaster in the game. She gets two separate elemental mastery skills, each with its own bonus damage passive, and they stack, allowing her to cast chain lightning for ludicrous damage and near-immediate cooldown.
Yeah, I've checked her last tier - she seems like a late bloomer. Her t3 is amazing but with a competition like that she needs to be around level 15+ for her build to come together. But total lack of support/buffs skills scared me off. Incompatible alignment too.

Parabalus

Arcane
Where you get the info about the XP loss? Makes me happy I am trying to level up knights somewhat evenly. Right now the only underleveled character is Tristan but he is relatively fresh addition and has to sit out a mission due to an injury gained via the event.

Sent a party with levels from 5 to 10 on a level 7 mission.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok, this may be a spoiler, but I'd like to know:

Is the Green Knight in this game?

Can't find anything on the net.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Did some testing with archer and its a great class if you exploit ap each kill + dmg each kill stuff. Also there is an item that does normal attack every time you kill an enemy so thats handy for that build. But killing first few enemies is a lot easier with vanguard or champion.

Ok, this may be a spoiler, but I'd like to know:

Is the Green Knight in this game?

Can't find anything on the net.

Quite sure the answer is no. At least not in chart + not in my Christian+righteous playthrough
edit
unless he is indeed a boss I dont remember anymore

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom