Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA dropping FIFA brand name

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
FIFA has got to be the one organization in the world that's got such an unpopular brand that even EA looks down their nose at it.

CanadianCorndog

Learned
This will never happen or if it does the game will be worthless.
Sports fans want the real deal, with player likeness and proper uniforms.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
As pointed out several time in this thread already, player likeness, team/league names, uniforms are nothing to do with this. EA deals directly with the leagues, teams, (and players if necessary) to get those anyway. The FIFA license is mainly for the title and FIFA-hosted international competitions (the World Cup mostly). I think people bought FIFA games for the leagues than national teams anyway.

Rather, if there will be non-EA FIFA games they may have to use fake names in some cases due to a host of exclusive license EA secured on the major leagues and teams.

ferratilis

Magister
Who cares? Virtual football never got better than this anyway:
pro_evolution_soccer_6_image4.jpg

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fox News wrote that its already official, and EA will drop the brand after 2023. Then again, """Fox News""".

I've seen this from several sources and the first time I saw it was quite awhile ago (I don't recall exactly when). FIFA tried to shake down EA for like a bazillion dollars and EA was like fuck no and sorted out how to basically keep making the same game with the numbers filed off.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks this is mysterious or unbelievable.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If anything, FIFA should pay bloody EA for using the license. They get such massive brand recognition from the game that, as evidenced in this thread, half the population think that FIFA basically *is* football.

I'm not sure 'EA Sports FC' is such a catchy title though, think they might rethink that once they've run it by a few focus groups. EA Sports Soccer alliterates better although is a bit dull.

J1M

Arcane
If anything, FIFA should pay bloody EA for using the license. They get such massive brand recognition from the game that, as evidenced in this thread, half the population think that FIFA basically *is* football.

I'm not sure 'EA Sports FC' is such a catchy title though, think they might rethink that once they've run it by a few focus groups. EA Sports Soccer alliterates better although is a bit dull.
Outside of North America everyone knows FC = Football Club. Many teams use the acronym.

Üstad

Arcane
Never understood why people keep playing that MMO style online mode. Since I'm playing offline only I downloaded Fifa 17 as people kept saying it's the last great Fifa game but I just can't enjoy the game for some reason. So I'll give a shot to PES 2018, let's see how it goes.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Never understood why people keep playing that MMO style online mode. Since I'm playing offline only I downloaded Fifa 17 as people kept saying it's the last great Fifa game but I just can't enjoy the game for some reason. So I'll give a shot to PES 2018, let's see how it goes.
PES 6 was the last great football game.

Üstad

Arcane
PES 6 was the last great football game.
It was only good because you probably played with your friends during your childhood. There isn't anything great about the game.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
It was only good because you probably played with your friends during your childhood
I was 20 years old back then. Anyways you've been exposed as a dirty zoomer and I can't take your opinion seriously anymore :killitwithfire:

Üstad

Arcane
It was only good because you probably played with your friends during your childhood
I was 20 years old back then. Anyways you've been exposed as a dirty zoomer and I can't take your opinion seriously anymore :killitwithfire:
Not a zoomer and while it's okay to like the game it's unfair to say it's the last great football game. It's very arcadey and only memorable because of good times playing with friends and there were more likeable football players back then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom