Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
In particular I am interested in making the Magna Eclipsis shield work as I've found it's reasonably easy to get in SSF (or maybe I just got lucky, I don't know) and it has decent baseline defenses, with an eye for Essence/Rog crafting later on in the league.
In my many hours of playing PoE, I've never had the map where that comes from drop, so I'd say you got lucky. It's a cool shield though.

If I recall correctly, I was indeed lucky to have one map drop, and I got two others from Kirac missions (I wanted a spare Solaris shield). I might have re-rolled other instances of it. Kirac is a huge help for unique maps in general... I was only missing Vinktar Square last league, and you can't get that as a drop anyway.

Shield Crush is a decent skill to level with and one of the best melee leveling skills (which isn't saying much). You'll probably be able to craft a better shield with Rog much earlier than completing Magna Eclipsis. It's a decent build, but don't expect getting into reds on day 1 with it. Also the tanky-ness of both Shield Crush and SST is compromised, because you can't afford to roll your shield for good defensive affixes except armour. If you're hellbent on only playing one single character this league, then Shield Crush is a solid choice. But TBH I think that both Detonate Dead Necro and Seismic Sabo are tankier AND have better clear/bossing/leveling.

Thanks a lot. DD does look like a no-brainer choice, but I'm uninterested in the play style right now. I will look into Seismic Trap Saboteur though, I've never played Sabo and it could be interesting. I assume it's the combination of Born in the Shadows and Pyromaniac that boosts tankiness (plus elemental ailment immunities), with the Trap notables for the damage.

Last edited:
Have they already implemented their engine optimizations to the current builds so people could point at the gigantic issues it's going to undoubtedly create for the first few patches, or is it just going to be a funny league start surprise?

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Thanks a lot. DD does look like a no-brainer choice, but I'm uninterested in the play style right now. I will look into Seismic Trap Saboteur though, I've never played Sabo and it could be interesting. I assume it's the combination of Born in the Shadows and Pyromaniac that boosts tankiness (plus elemental ailment immunities), with the Trap notables for the damage.
Yes, those two give you a lot of staying power, but it's also compounded on by the effectiveness of Spell Suppression and Ghost Dance which are natural fits for the build. You can even go full retard and wear a Kongming's Strategem against the pinnacle bosses (many of them don't have an auto-attack) and you'll feel immortal.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Saw someone talking about corrupted blood kinetic blast gladiator. Sounds really cool, but I also bet the single target dps is basically 0. But lightning arrow deadeye also seems like a complete glass cannon.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Spectral helix should be easy to gear, just hit your claw with elemental essences and bench craft another ele and you have end game weapon, I did the 2 new bosses like this, also take longshot as soon as possible some builds don't have it for some reason but it makes the skill usable.

On that note I made garbage blade vortex with -30 resists and it didn't die in white maps, people just forgot this skill existed.
I am just playing a Spectral Helix Champion that is going full physical and impale and uses a two handed axe. He is pretty powerful both in defense and offense. Well I am now in white maps so I guess I will see when I get to red maps but the build I am following promises easy gameplay.

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Saw someone talking about corrupted blood kinetic blast gladiator. Sounds really cool, but I also bet the single target dps is basically 0. But lightning arrow deadeye also seems like a complete glass cannon.
CF Glad has insane clear speed on 0 budget, but the single target is ass in the beginning. Basically, you'll be clearing a map in 20 seconds only to spend 2 minutes on the boss. But the single target CAN be pushed to an acceptable level eventually and it is a good build to invest into. You're also quite tanky and can stay in the fight against bosses for a while. I tend to build it as my 2nd character, once my bosser is up and running. It's a very fun build, definitely recommended.

Lightning Arrow Deadeye will still have Spell Suppression and against attacks you have your evasion. Also Tailwind and Ghost Dance. Against one-shots it's deceptively tanky. The only real issue is sustain while not attacking.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
CF Glad has insane clear speed on 0 budget, but the single target is ass in the beginning. Basically, you'll be clearing a map in 20 seconds only to spend 2 minutes on the boss.
Sounds awful, and I probably don't play enough to be able to push the single target to acceptable levels. Might be nice to just run through the campaign though, since most campaign bosses have walls close to them and so are somewhat vulnerable to kinetic blast. I guess I'll see if I can get to 6 challenges with awful single target and make up my mind then.

The only real issue is sustain while not attacking.
Why would you ever not be attacking?

ArchAngel

Arcane
CF Glad has insane clear speed on 0 budget, but the single target is ass in the beginning. Basically, you'll be clearing a map in 20 seconds only to spend 2 minutes on the boss.
Sounds awful, and I probably don't play enough to be able to push the single target to acceptable levels. Might be nice to just run through the campaign though, since most campaign bosses have walls close to them and so are somewhat vulnerable to kinetic blast. I guess I'll see if I can get to 6 challenges with awful single target and make up my mind then.

The only real issue is sustain while not attacking.
During boss phases where you are still getting damaged by stuff

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
KB damage is negligible in that build. When fighting bosses you're spamming Reap. It's not an issue during campaign, it only starts hurting on map bosses in red maps.

When moving out of a degen field while you're being slowed, like when placing puddles on Maven or escaping Elder Succ

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
KB damage is negligible in that build. When fighting bosses you're spamming Reap. It's not an issue during campaign, it only starts hurting on map bosses in red maps.
As I understand it KB is what triggers a billion stacks of corrupted blood, which is the primary source of the fast clear? The PoB I looked at used that and then also spellslinger to cast exsanguinate and reap for more focused damage.
I'm fine with struggling on red maps only, I'll probably get bored of the league before that anyway.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
As I understand it KB is what triggers a billion stacks of corrupted blood, which is the primary source of the fast clear? The PoB I looked at used that and then also spellslinger to cast exsanguinate and reap for more focused damage.
I'm fine with struggling on red maps only, I'll probably get bored of the league before that anyway.
Yes, KB is only used to apply the Corrupting Fever debuff, which is what deals the damage and is more than enough for clear, especially when combined with Gladiator's explody. But for single target the KB damage does almost nothing and people use Reap to apply and refresh the Corrupting Fever. Sometimes I like to use Stormbrand to ensure the debuff doesn't fall off.

If you don't even plan on getting past yellows, then you can play anything you want. CF Glad would be smooth sailing until then.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
But for single target the KB damage does almost nothing and people use Reap to apply and refresh the Corrupting Fever.
But is it not so that KB, when fired against a wall (or other environmentally static objects) will still spawns explosions that can hit the same target many times? This is what I was referring to when saying they were vulnerable to KB (actually vulnerable to receiving lots of stacks of corruption via explosion shotgunning)

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
But for single target the KB damage does almost nothing and people use Reap to apply and refresh the Corrupting Fever.
But is it not so that KB, when fired against a wall (or other environmentally static objects) will still spawns explosions that can hit the same target many times? This is what I was referring to when saying they were vulnerable to KB (actually vulnerable to receiving lots of stacks of corruption via explosion shotgunning)

Yes, it is, but the explosions still won't contribute enough to your single target to be worth the consideration. The KB does like 4k dps, while 10 stacks of CB do 150k. Getting the maximum stacks on the boss isn't an issue anyway, but rather not letting them fall off.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Good news - you can get full armor sets this league

Bad news - challenges are harder
almost like living to its name...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most of them are either pure luck based or only time consuming. Other than defeating bosses conditionally those were not really challenges like you said.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Most of them are either pure luck based or only time consuming. Other than defeating bosses conditionally those were not really challenges like you said.
Looking at the list, there are 6 which you can do pretty much without touching maps. Maybe one or two more that you'll get just for clearing the atlas and engaging with some standard side content.
Then the remaining 30 are all supremely grindy.

The rewards for doing them are certainly better than average though, not like this will matter for me, I'm in it for 6 challenges and then out.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like they've basically made 24 challenges the new 36 in terms of rewards.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'll probably have to actually play for the entire 3 months to get these done in SSF :shredder:

I can see the crying already. Maybe the trade league will adapt with challenge sellers ramping up their services. At least now the f2p cucks don't have the "no good looking free mtx" excuse anymore.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I never cared for challenges and I rarely use any of the MTX I got from completing previous ones just by playing the game. I also bought 0 MTX, I only ever bought stash space and special stashes, all this other stuff is stupid.

ArchAngel

Arcane
How does one get easy 5l or 6l in SSF? :D
I am still using a 4l on t3 maps.. and I overleveled to farm for Tabula in Blood Aqueducts.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
When I played SSF I found 5-linking to be easy I usually got it within 50-100 fuses, I was lucky a few times for a 6 link but I never expected it, otherwise card grinds which is the main reason I switched to playing trade.

ArchAngel

Arcane
When I played SSF I found 5-linking to be easy I usually got it within 50-100 fuses, I was lucky a few times for a 6 link but I never expected it, otherwise card grinds which is the main reason I switched to playing trade.
50 to 100 fuses is not something one can reach in white maps... they are not a common drop (or jewelers that can be turned into those). In Trade I would just buy a corrupted 5l or 6l with colors I need for 20c and be done with it until I am filthy rich to be able to buy a proper 6l body armor.

Should I do Heist or something to get a Tabula drop?
Or some content that drops a lot of 5 or 6 corrupted armors?!
In Trade I usually ignore most content except mapping and buy what I need.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
50-100 is pessimistic estimate I just went for it at 20, sometimes pain sometimes I had 5link by act 10 I just never really felt overwhelmed by lack of 5-link, you can see this mindset on poe ninja, guys on week-1 still using 5-links, it's grindier I guess, I don't think getting under 100 fuses in white maps is nuts, don't expect to advance to yellows as fast as in trade.

I don't know if heist gives ez tabulas anymore, they should have kept scourge currency since they want to get rid of this clunky mechanic anyway.

I tried alch and go strongboxes last league and saw only a handful of 6-link, not 100% on this but I seems to remember vaal areas that you open on map device have high% of having 6-link if you want to try that strat but I'm not sure about frag sustain, there's also harvest which should give you easy 5-link, if I was in ssf I'd invest 100% in harvest anyway.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
50 to 100 fuses is not something one can reach in white maps... they are not a common drop (or jewelers that can be turned into those). In Trade I would just buy a corrupted 5l or 6l with colors I need for 20c and be done with it until I am filthy rich to be able to buy a proper 6l body armor.

Should I do Heist or something to get a Tabula drop?
Or some content that drops a lot of 5 or 6 corrupted armors?!
In Trade I usually ignore most content except mapping and buy what I need.

Easiest way to farm fuses would be to invest in the +1 strongbox and rare+corrupted strongboxes Atlas passives early. In addition to 6L body armors from strongboxes you'll be swimming in jeweler orbs through 6S items before long, which you can convert to fuses via vendor.

Beyond that, I never found it difficult to get at least a 5L in SSF (make sure you quality to +20% first). 6L needs more luck and I did get lucky but looking at my remove-only Currency stash right now for SSF Archnemesis I see 4.5k jewelers and 1.2k fuses (I'm not sure about my /played but I played the league for a month, and most I played in one day was like 6 hours or so), which is at least more than enough to brute force a 6L via bench. I can tell you that most of that came from normal play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom