Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control - supernatural third person action-adventure from Remedy

Hobknobling

Learned
Remedy is in a phase where they have recently gone public, started a new studio in Stockholm and have deepened their ties with Epic and Tencent. Their new CEO came from RedLynx which is a one-game wonder (Trials) and I honestly am not convinced that is a very good track record for a CEO that is supposed to revolutionize a slightly stagnant company. They have been growing the studio with aggressive hiring and sadly all their non-technical positions seem to be filled with zero talent people who just fit some quota. Really not surprised about that godawful writing in the Crossfire X campaigns.

I don't think the future looks very promising for them. I predict a couple of flops and then being turned into an in-house studio for a big publisher that does some graphics programming and DLC garbage for their games. Their publisher contracts could be decent though so the financial collapse might take a bit longer than maybe for some other companies.

toughasnails

Really not surprised about that godawful writing in the Crossfire X campaigns.
The writing as seen in the vid has a very Asian feel, like something out of MGS game or some jRPG. It might as well be that Remedy was handed the script by the original Korean devs.

What makes this so bizarre is that just by looking at it, this had solid production values. It even runs on Remedy's in-house engine rather than UE like the multiplayer side. Yet everything about the actual game is either bland or incompetent, it's something that would have been panned even at the height of popularity of this sort of shooters in late 00s, early 10s...

SumDrunkGuy

Jfc this game has the most butt fucking confusing map of any game ever. How in the hell do you ever find where you need to go?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How in the hell do you ever find where you need to go?

Every area is visually distinct so you learn it after exploring it for a while. You can also "teleport" between major areas if you find the wierd devices that look like they were made up by some conspiracy nutjob throwing random electronic garbage together to communicate with aliens (i'm sure they are a reference to something, i just can't pinpoint what yet).

SumDrunkGuy

This Anchor boss is bullshit and impossible. Fuckin Elden Ring never gave me this much trouble. I've died over 20 times to the fuckin thing.

SumDrunkGuy

Any boss fight that has infinite respawning enemies = bullshit. The boss it's self isn't the problem. It's the flying kamikaze mother fuckers who keep spawning.

SumDrunkGuy

LMAO, I can't beat a single boss in the side missions. The plant, the refridgerator, the anchor, they all bend me over and have their way with me. Never before has a shooter made me feel so old and inadequate and useless. It's hilarious.

I beat Vanquish on the hardest difficulty and completed all of the challenges god damit. I used to be somebody. I used to be a contender.

toughasnails

Then why not just play it with m&kb? It's a bit of a meme that TPS games SHOULD be played with a gamepad. If you are bad at or never got used to aiming on a controller, then that remains true for any game that involves precise aiming.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Then why not just play it with m&kb? It's a bit of a meme that TPS games SHOULD be played with a gamepad. If you are bad at or never got used to aiming on a controller, then that remains true for any game that involves precise aiming.

He needs a computer first.

SumDrunkGuy

PS4 Pro is best I can do. I'm too unedumacated for a PC at this point, and too lazy to fuck around with graphics settings.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

PS4 Pro is best I can do. I'm too unedumacated for a PC at this point, and too lazy to fuck around with graphics settings.

If you really want to get sober, get a good computer. Playing all the games you have missed out on will take all your time, leaving none for drinking :) And if you can handle a phone, you can work a PC nowadays. Graphic fiddling takes just a few minutes mostly.

SumDrunkGuy

If you really want to get sober, get a good computer. Playing all the games you have missed out on will take all your time, leaving none for drinking :) And if you can handle a phone, you can work a PC nowadays. Graphic fiddling takes just a few minutes mostly.
I'm still jobless and am a broken man. The only upgrade I can afford right now is a refurbished ps4 pro. Which I'm looking forward to btw. Anything is better than this half dead turd I got. I can't even have 2 apps open at once or else it freezes up.

SumDrunkGuy

But is it any good?

Let me put it this way. Speaking purely in terms of third person shooter combat, there are the three gods of the genre and everything else is shit by comparison. I will say that Control is one of those 3 gods.

SumDrunkGuy

Cliffnotes:

-I would have sex with the main character.
-the combat is phenominal.
-don't play it on a ps4.
-I like the story even though I have no idea what's happening.
-the bossfights are assholes.

SumDrunkGuy

This Anchor boss is bullshit and impossible. Fuckin Elden Ring never gave me this much trouble. I've died over 20 times to the fuckin thing.

BWAHAHAHAHA I FINALLY KILLED THE SON OF A BITCH. I went down with him but I don't CARE!!! I BEAT HIM!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom