Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Hate to disappoint you but Vince already said it won't be a repeat of the conquest of the new world but a tale of survival. There won't be endings where the colonists conquered, enslave or wipe out the natives(There are a lot more of them than colonists have bullets or soldiers plus the colonist's immune system will probably be a lot weaker due to being trapped in a ship with failing life support systems, especially the people in the Pit.) but there will be endings the other way around. (If I'm misreading what you want then please ignore me)
The hypothetical game would take place decades after the events of Colony Ship and the Starfarer's landing. In that time some political order will have already established itself, along with some rudimentary understanding between the races. I shouldn't think immune systems will play a role at this stage - that is unless colonist begin terraforming to even the playing field a little. Who knows where that could take the human colony.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Having been pessimistic a few months ago, I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about how quickly the team will be able to crank out post-Habitat content. Most of the visual assets and level design that they'll need for the return to the Pit already exist, while the content for the lower levels of the Armory and Mission Control and the red/yellow zones of Hydroponics should be fairly self-contained without needing lots of careful consideration of how it will interact with the world state in the rest of the game. The only area that I'd expect to be anything like as gnarly as the Habitat is the mutant town.

Yes, that's correct. The pit is there, the expansion of the Mission Control, Hydroponics and Armory will use the same assets, and the only two new locations are the ECLSS, Bridge and Mutant Town. ECLSS and bridge are "small" in terms of them being a single, good looking area, and we have some good concepts and art direction for the Mutant Town already done.

Tsubutai

Educated
Yes, that's correct. The pit is there, the expansion of the Mission Control, Hydroponics and Armory will use the same assets, and the only two new locations are the ECLSS, Bridge and Mutant Town. ECLSS and bridge are "small" in terms of them being a single, good looking area, and we have some good concepts and art direction for the Mutant Town already done.
Sounds good! I do hope, though, that the lower levels of Mission Control and Hydroponics will be at least slightly different to what we've seen so far. For example, the levels of Mission Control beyond the eyeball door presumably wouldn't have battle damage if the mutineers never breached the door, but it might have a fungal infestation competing with residual automated defence systems. Similarly, the deeper zones of Hydroponics could have a fog of fungal spores as seen around the sealed gate to the red zone in the Factory, and I'd hope that the Pit would change at least slightly when you return if Braxton or Mercy is running it instead of Jonas. It'd also be neat if the refugees from the Shuttle Bay turn up there - maybe Mother's followers could set up a shanty town in the outskirts if you spare them and Mercy's alive, while Nazar's group could set up shop in the Regulators' old compound if Braxton's dead.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Can't wait for follow up tactical game where Ship lands on alien planet with medieval tech level and psychic magic. VaultDweller talked about it or maybe I dreamed it. Space Conquistadors, here we come!

Hate to disappoint you but Vince already said it won't be a repeat of the conquest of the new world but a tale of survival. There won't be endings where the colonists conquered, enslave or wipe out the natives(There are a lot more of them than colonists have bullets or soldiers plus the colonist's immune system will probably be a lot weaker due to being trapped in a ship with failing life support systems, especially the people in the Pit.) but there will be endings the other way around. (If I'm misreading what you want then please ignore me)

Source?

Binky

Cipher
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...019-business-diary.126225/page-3#post-6019334

Allowed is a strong word. The colonists' tech isn't enough to conquer the planet or push back the natives westward expansion style but it's enough to establish a small foothold, at least until the natives' city-states unite to wipe them out. A series of early conflicts would be inevitable until both sides realize they've underestimated each other and pull back to regroup.

At the beginning of the game the humans have 4 locations: the landing site, the first settlement, a frontier-style fort marking the border, and a research base set in the ruins of a nearby town the colonists destroyed. This way there's plenty of history, losses on both sides, and different opinions on how to proceed. You'll be sent to the natives as part of a diplomatic mission and will be able to visit 8-10 'alien' locations. Naturally, you'd be able to talk your way through the game (the aliens would communicate telepathically) or fight.

Nm6k

Scholar

You'd be able to stir up some shit and exploit local grievances and conflicts, but you won't be able to divide and conquer anything. The aliens are a lot more advanced, so we're talking about city-states and nations not tribes. For comparison, imagine Cortes arriving to an equivalent of 13-14th century Italy.

This whole premise isn't about conquering the planet and deciding what to do with the locals but about managing to gain a foothold without being wiped out by the locals in the process. Survival rather than fight for supremacy

We're telling a different story, one about survival rather than conquest. Being wiped out will be one of the endings, conquering the planet won't be.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7753.30.html

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Sounds good! I do hope, though, that the lower levels of Mission Control and Hydroponics will be at least slightly different to what we've seen so far. For example, the levels of Mission Control beyond the eyeball door presumably wouldn't have battle damage if the mutineers never breached the door, but it might have a fungal infestation competing with residual automated defence systems. Similarly, the deeper zones of Hydroponics could have a fog of fungal spores as seen around the sealed gate to the red zone in the Factory, and I'd hope that the Pit would change at least slightly when you return if Braxton or Mercy is running it instead of Jonas. It'd also be neat if the refugees from the Shuttle Bay turn up there - maybe Mother's followers could set up a shanty town in the outskirts if you spare them and Mercy's alive, while Nazar's group could set up shop in the Regulators' old compound if Braxton's dead.

Yes, they will look different, but that's more on the texture, lighting and prop side, the base tileset we are using will be the same (plus it would be odd to make the hydro towers of different materials). And yes regarding the characters sent to the pit, the plan is to have them there if they were sent.

Alphons

Cipher
Since my character wasn't very talkative I've just whacked everyone I could for all the factions (plus some extra encounters). There was some interesting stuff that I'll have to check with someone more diplomatic

You can convince the Brotherhood insurgents to turn themselves in or recruit them for Protectors.

You can convince one of the Church new converts to move to the Pit to avoid fighting. The only options for peaceful preacher quest is to fail to convince him (you don't meet the Chaplain General) or talk him into first trying to convince Brotherhood and Protectors to stop fighting.
Chaplain General knows about the Brotherhood and Protectors members trying to sign a peace deal and doesn't want it to happen.

Saving the Brotherhood spy (Impersonate 7 btw) makes it sound like there'll be an option to make peace between Brotherhood and Protectors after getting rid of some of the higher ups.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Can somebody link the new music please? :)

Also Elhoim - I know I asked this a couple of times, but when do you plan on implementering AI basic routines scripting etc. to make them animated, walk around and stuff? if ever?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work :D

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...019-business-diary.126225/page-3#post-6019334

Allowed is a strong word. The colonists' tech isn't enough to conquer the planet or push back the natives westward expansion style but it's enough to establish a small foothold, at least until the natives' city-states unite to wipe them out. A series of early conflicts would be inevitable until both sides realize they've underestimated each other and pull back to regroup.

At the beginning of the game the humans have 4 locations: the landing site, the first settlement, a frontier-style fort marking the border, and a research base set in the ruins of a nearby town the colonists destroyed. This way there's plenty of history, losses on both sides, and different opinions on how to proceed. You'll be sent to the natives as part of a diplomatic mission and will be able to visit 8-10 'alien' locations. Naturally, you'd be able to talk your way through the game (the aliens would communicate telepathically) or fight.

I doubt they'll be able to do the aliens well. It's just gonna be a "proud warrior race" rubber forehead aliens. Having them capable of living in Earth-like biomes practically guarantees that.

Want to do aliens well? Go for S. Lem's Eden or The Invincible. Or something similarly inhuman. Eighties camp scifi is just bad.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Also Elhoim - I know I asked this a couple of times, but when do you plan on implementering AI basic routines scripting etc. to make them animated, walk around and stuff? if ever?

I think if this were done for just *some* NPCs it would go a long way towards improving the world building aspect of CS. Certain maps make sense to have NPCs walking around, akin to busy town areas. It doesn't need to be all NPCs, think of the first map of the Hub. You have mostly static green combat armor NPCs lining the street, but there's a few deputies in metal armor pacing between a few locations in the center of the street. Little things like that livens up a game. Same for the central map in the Hub, you have Lorenzo (the shady loan shark) pacing in and out of FTL probably because he's high as a kite on stimulants.

It's been a while since I played CS, but off-hand:
  • Pit: NPCs moving to/from bars
  • Pit: NPCs milling around the courthouse
  • Pit: NPCs moving around the area that has the computer trainer
  • Hydroponics: people moving around the base of the main tower, where boxes are stored, as well as the science/research level (there may be a generic NPC moving on the science level already)
  • Factory: people moving about within the fort with vendor
I understand enough about CS's development to be under no illusion that this would be anything but low priority, but I do think it is important for the finished game.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work :D

It will be done, Yura is working on different animations (carrying things, checking stuff with a datapad, etc). Then Nick needs to implement the system. He's currently adding some extra civil animations, and when he has the time will do the walking routines.

Tsubutai

Educated
When is full release planned for again?
I think the devs have become a bit gun-shy of making firm commitments after taking a lot longer than they expected to finish the Habitat, but they were talking about a full release in Spring next year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom