Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter We need more buttons

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
I've made a few baits:
H2mFxBK.png

8QJ6Vi8.png

They're harder to see because of the background color.

I find the ''honk'' atrocious to look at so I'm working on an alternative. Anything pepe-related needs to disappear from the surface of planet Earth (and the solar system). Rpg Codex deserves better.
Lg6N8LE.gif

Static concepts:
1EoZ2iN.png

ZhjuCpR.png

lsEnhrA.png

Mostly based on the clown in IT.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I find the ''honk'' atrocious to look at so I'm working on an alternative. Anything pepe-related needs to disappear from the surface of planet Earth (and the solar system). Rpg Codex deserves better.
Lg6N8LE.gif

Static concepts:
1EoZ2iN.png

ZhjuCpR.png

lsEnhrA.png

Mostly based on the clown in IT.
Beautiful, only one suggestion to make it more inline with the purpose of the "Honk Honk!" button;

Joker-ify him. White makeup coupled with the colored facial marking would be more readable and more striking as a button; big red nose, grin and eye marks. Keep the colored shadows in his hair, though. That's a good improvement.
rev-1-jok-14466-high-res-jpeg-p-sf-sq.webp
it-1990-pennywise.webp
From what I've seen of your work, you tend to err on the side of more realistic portrayals of facial anatomy. A good skill to have, but for the purposes of forum buttons I'd recommend something stylized to be simple yet highly expressive. The little black dot-eyes of the bottom-most Pennywise are in-line with this.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Joker-ify him. White makeup coupled with the colored facial marking would be more readable and more striking as a button; big red nose, grin and eye marks. Keep the colored shadows in his hair, though. That's a good improvement.

You mean like this? Or this too detailed still?
JmrMd4w.png

...and this is with the original hair like you mentioned:
WRXOv4k.png

Ghulgothas

Arcane

You mean like this? Or this too detailed still?
JmrMd4w.png

...and this is with the original hair like you mentioned:
WRXOv4k.png
Better. Lose the eyebrows so the only thing against the forehead is the upper-blue triangle, and trade the eye-whites for wholly white skin. The Pennywise-hair has a better silhouette.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Better. Lose the eyebrows so the only thing against the forehead is the upper-blue triangle, and trade the eye-whites for wholly white skin. The Pennywise-hair has a better silhouette.

I *think* I get what you meant. I've included one version with eyebrows just to test things out but made it less noticeable.

A. No eyebrows
Gkl3bNg.png

B. eyebrows
5klgbl7.png

C. Different eyes and mouth shape
GIDf1gS.png

D. Another set of eyes and mouth shape
FORN8D9.png

E. Yet another set of eyes
oioJr7M.png

F. Eyes more like Pennywise and yet a different mouth
pavT04N.png

G. Different mouth again
F25I5kU.png

H. Ears showing and yet another mouth
P0vtOJs.png

Could you point out which one is closer to what you meant? Do you think I should mix certain elements from one with another (the mouth for example)?

This is the reference I'm using:
rFebAfE.png

FhsFcc8.png

Think I'm getting closer to 200 buttons.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
oioJr7M.png
This one is my favorite. One suggestion for editing; the blue triangles. Currently he looks like a four-eyed monster. Which is an effective visual, but the clownyness could be better served by altering his eyes and makeup. Like so;
clown-5862845-960-720.webp
Specifically the eyes and eye-marks. Beadier, bigger, blacker eyes with some space between the blue triangles. I'd also recommend a wider-grin like the penultimate two Skarsgaard buttons you have up there. As well as keeping his eyebrows shaved; a vacant expression with beady-black eyes marked by the two blue triangles and a wide grin would cinch it.

Oh yeah, and WHITE, HIM, UP.

A. No eyebrows
Gkl3bNg.png

B. eyebrows
5klgbl7.png
For the eyebrows, make them arched. His expressions here comes across as smug and bemused, arched-eyebrows would make him out as more unhinged and serve the button purpose better. Forgive me, but I am going to use an emoji to illustrate what I mean:
10-2-clown.jpg
And I'm not feelin' the Skaarsgard versions on the bottom. The red-slits and his reduced forehead don't have the same character and appeal as the Curry versions.

Semiurge

Cipher
I *think* I get what you meant. I've included one version with eyebrows just to test things out but made it less noticeable.

A. No eyebrows
Gkl3bNg.png

B. eyebrows
5klgbl7.png

C. Different eyes and mouth shape
GIDf1gS.png

D. Another set of eyes and mouth shape
FORN8D9.png

oioJr7M.png

F. Eyes more like Pennywise and yet a different mouth
pavT04N.png

G. Different mouth again
F25I5kU.png

H. Ears showing and yet another mouth
P0vtOJs.png

Could you point out which one is closer to what you meant? Do you think I should mix certain elements from one with another (the mouth for example)?

This is the reference I'm using:
rFebAfE.png

FhsFcc8.png

Think I'm getting closer to 200 buttons.

C would be good as it is. I can't stress enough how cute
84XRrbY.gif
is with those almost mitten-hands.

Last edited:

fork

He won't stop. He think's he's somehow special. He's been at it for a month now. On olddex this retard would have half a dozen tags and would be prosperised by now.

And the attention whoring again.

Make a good button, and it might get implemented (or not). It took a long time for some of Zombra's suggestions to get implemented, and tbh most of his are way better than anything you've shown so far.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Regarding the whiteness, I was at 93 right now on a scale of 100 in my last go. So I'm pretty close to the max of being pure white. This next batch is at 96.

Regarding the eyes, I'm very limited in space if I want to keep realistic proportions. I can, of course, sacrifice some forehead space to make the eyes bigger. I don't think I'm managing to do what you're asking for however:

Variations of what I'm talking about:

I.
MwTNrCJ.png

J.
axRjDIF.png

K.
i8MSvSU.png

L.
PZO8AHG.png

M.
j95Uu6H.png

O.
gIPMgLM.png

So you see, I don't have enough rooms for showing the eyes *and* the blue arrows *and* the eyebrows.

I prefer the more realistic versions, personally.

C would be good as it is. I can't stress enough how cute
84XRrbY.gif
is with those almost mitten-hands.

Thanks. I still want to respond to Ghulgothas' critique since he took the time to give some.

I actually got the face shape wrong and the animation was a bit lacklustre, here's a new version:
QSSUL8X.gif

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Regarding the bleeding eye button, my only regret is that it shouldn’t look like Dixon, as it’s unrelated to him. I just used the same face from the “rage” button in order to save time. Dixon is (in)famous for flying off the handle about the most insignificant banalities. In that respect, he’s a poster child for anything spiteful. Not so much for “bleeding eyes”. He’s also an integral part of the Codex.

I’d rather use the likeliness of someone who could be related to “bleeding eyes”. No one really comes to mind, however. It’s not really something which could be related to a person in particular.

It would also have a very similar meaning to “what am I reading”.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I’d rather use the likeliness of someone who could be related to “bleeding eyes”. No one really comes to mind, however. It’s not really something which could be related to a person in particular.

It would also have a very similar meaning to “what am I reading”.
Kruno

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
There are no pictures of Kruno in the members gallery.

Anyhow, I've had an idea. By removing some hair from the top of the clown's hair and make him balder, it would allow me more space for the face. Besides, Pennywise is bald on top. I've also cranked the skin color to be whiter. The variation between each one of this set are minors but noticeable (smile size, with or without eyebrows, partly or fully bald, etc...):

IzIy0J2.png
ibtMeml.png
wKd6GAY.png
ygeFyEm.png
WNagXXy.png
Y6ZOctR.png
TUh3X9b.png
jnyVijf.png

I wouldn't know how to improve upon the 8, unless you guys have suggestions.

And a new version of eyes-bleeding:
qXoZiE8.gif

New version of It was Aliens in order to make it more concise:
zaAuVGn.gif

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
If we had all these buttons moving around and flashing it would probably give me a seizure and I'm not even epileptic

Yup, that's fair criticism. I do have a tendency to use a lot of frames for animation which can clash with the purpose of buttons. This being said, it shouldn't really matter since they likely won't all be replaced with the versions I've designed. In other words, whichever buttons end up being replaced shouldn't slow down the forum too much. It's something I'll keep in mind however to make sure the amount of animation doesn't end up being overbearing.

New versions of informative:
snes9s7.png

With outlines:
A.

FiU76Qf.png

B.
gQgUP8f.png

Without:
C.

P7ESTAJ.png

(got 75 stop posting, keep 'em coming, let's make it 100!)

Semiurge

Cipher
There are no pictures of Kruno in the members gallery.

Anyhow, I've had an idea. By removing some hair from the top of the clown's hair and make him balder, it would allow me more space for the face. Besides, Pennywise is bald on top. I've also cranked the skin color to be whiter. The variation between each one of this set are minors but noticeable (smile size, with or without eyebrows, partly or fully bald, etc...):

IzIy0J2.png
ibtMeml.png
wKd6GAY.png
ygeFyEm.png
WNagXXy.png
Y6ZOctR.png
TUh3X9b.png
jnyVijf.png

I wouldn't know how to improve upon the 8, unless you guys have suggestions.

And a new version of eyes-bleeding:
qXoZiE8.gif

New version of It was Aliens in order to make it more concise:
zaAuVGn.gif

As for the clowns, I'd go with 3. with or without the bald spot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom