Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

I have noticed this: all people who complain about Sekiro online are people who struggled with it and found it too difficult. There is no exception to this rule. It's the ultimate filter out of all From Soft games. To this day you STILL see people crying over it, usually because they were punished horribly for trying to play it like Dark Souls and never fully recovered. It's beautiful to see. Especially considering it's so easy once you get the hang of it
You know that's a garbage argument.

It's not an argument, it's simply true.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
I have noticed this: all people who complain about Sekiro online are people who struggled with it and found it too difficult. There is no exception to this rule. It's the ultimate filter out of all From Soft games. To this day you STILL see people crying over it, usually because they were punished horribly for trying to play it like Dark Souls and never fully recovered. It's beautiful to see. Especially considering it's so easy once you get the hang of it
You know that's a garbage argument.

It's not an argument, it's simply true.
What do you get out of such low-level trolling?

Sunri

Liturgist
Bloodborne for me is like... yeah it has some really great levels, especially early on. There is an impressive dedication to making the world feel "real" and less video gamey (again only early on, like the first level with the mob moving through the streets). Some fantastic unique designs for enemies. It has maybe the second best soundtrack, after the original Demon's Souls ... But all the levels in the second half felt a little lacklustre and cobbled together, all the bosses in the second half felt lacklustre (except the final boss).

So Fishing Village, Ludwig the Accursed, Lady Maria and Orphan of Kos are supposedly "a little lackluster"? While those spastic helicopter hit-kill bosses and late game copypasta from ER are great?

:hmmm:

I have already said that I haven't played the Bloodborne DLC fully, I'm willing to give it a go and see if it changes my opinion of the game as a whole. Base game Bloodborne just feels way weaker than the first half imo. I also didn't say anything about Elden Ring being 'great'.

Lol why is this guy comparing Sekiro to Elden Ring? It's nothing more than a twitchy action game and the worst thing From Software has made in a long time. Sekiro has the most one-note combat of any AAA action game too. You have one sword and you just parry guys, WHOO!

I consider Sekiro fans to be the lepers of the Soulsborne fanbase. They tried desperately to hang out with us and wanted to be like us but ultimately they had to be shipped off to an island away from civilization.

You can't play sekiro like dark souls because you press only 2 buttons, lol

Bloodborne for me is like... yeah it has some really great levels, especially early on. There is an impressive dedication to making the world feel "real" and less video gamey (again only early on, like the first level with the mob moving through the streets). Some fantastic unique designs for enemies. It has maybe the second best soundtrack, after the original Demon's Souls ... But all the levels in the second half felt a little lacklustre and cobbled together, all the bosses in the second half felt lacklustre (except the final boss).

So Fishing Village, Ludwig the Accursed, Lady Maria and Orphan of Kos are supposedly "a little lackluster"? While those spastic helicopter hit-kill bosses and late game copypasta from ER are great?

:hmmm:

I have already said that I haven't played the Bloodborne DLC fully, I'm willing to give it a go and see if it changes my opinion of the game as a whole. Base game Bloodborne just feels way weaker than the first half imo. I also didn't say anything about Elden Ring being 'great'.

Lol why is this guy comparing Sekiro to Elden Ring? It's nothing more than a twitchy action game and the worst thing From Software has made in a long time. Sekiro has the most one-note combat of any AAA action game too. You have one sword and you just parry guys, WHOO!

I consider Sekiro fans to be the lepers of the Soulsborne fanbase. They tried desperately to hang out with us and wanted to be like us but ultimately they had to be shipped off to an island away from civilization.

You can't play sekiro like dark souls because you press only 2 buttons, lol

I count four buttons in Sekiro (deflect, attack, jump for sweeps, dodge/mikiri counters) and two for the optimal Dark Souls playstyle (attack & dodge). Or parry & dodge if you are so inclined.

I don’t understand what you mean by “second half” since the game is comprised of three distinct acts, and locations like Cainhurst or Nightmare Frontier (which is so intricate that I can’t see your argument applying here) are available in either one of the latter two. I assume you mean the literal descent into Yahar’gul into Mergo’s Loft (that’s if you’re doing only what’s required, and don’t fuck around in Lecture Building or Upper Cathedral Ward).

So a clarification would help. As for the bosses, Mergo’s Wet Nurse or Logarius are definite highlights. You’re probably thinking about Micolash, which is more of a statement like Fool’s Idol.

On a sidenote, I kinda got fed up into having only a gaming laptop for everything, so I got a much bigger monitor and a PS5, when it was recently in retail for 1 day, and is still a highly sought after scalped shit. So I made a second playthrough in BB, and will in due time check out that DeS remake… for what it’s worth.

This time I did a full Chalice Dungeons run, or as full as I could stomach. Great idea, and the execution, well… actually, some of the randomly generated glyphs with lost/uncanny weapons were kinda neat, but the “premade” ones were dull as shit.

Special mention goes to Cursed and Defiled Pthumeru 4 (that fucking dog oneshotting you and Amygdala in a cramped room), that is some fucking Elden Ring level bullshit right there.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
This time I did a full Chalice Dungeons run, or as full as I could stomach. Great idea, and the execution, well… actually, some of the randomly generated glyphs with lost/uncanny weapons were kinda neat, but the “premade” ones were dull as shit.
If they had made Chalice Dungeons actually good, learned from better roguelike games, the game would have been so much more replayable. Also, procedurally generated equipment would've been great, regardless of balance. But as they are right now Chalice Dungeons make the idea of using a new character a lot less attractive since I do want to get the best gems if I make another character.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I don't hate the Chalice Dungeons as much as some, but I agree the execution could have been a lot better. If they ever do Bloodborne 2 I hope they revisit the idea and try to improve on it.

If they had made Chalice Dungeons actually good, learned from better roguelike games, the game would have been so much more replayable. Also, procedurally generated equipment would've been great, regardless of balance. But as they are right now Chalice Dungeons make the idea of using a new character a lot less attractive since I do want to get the best gems if I make another character.

I agree, or they should design the “premade” chalices to be unique and distinct (for example making Loran look like a part of an actual city) and go full-on Daggerfall with some and random ones.

And yeah the blood gem farming aspect is cancerous as hell. For the best result I had to farm cursed ones which have 6 different negative modifiers and 3 different tiers of quality, by slaying the 3 fatsos boss ~20 times and praying to RNGods. Setting up your characters for pvp requires severe autism, with the RoI being crippled by the usual From netcode I imagine.

It's a matter of time before Bloodborne gets a sequel or a remaster for PS5 running at 60fps.
I wish. Only reason I'm playing it is since I ended up snagging a PS5 from one of Sony's sign up doodads since I didn't have a console from the previous generation and I figured what the hell, and I was surprised to learn that they've done PS5 update patches for a lot of popular PS4 games but not Bloodborne. Does still run better on PS5 since apparently PS4 will occasionally have slowdown and the load times are snappier, but not really the same as if they had a 60FPS patch/ran at higher resolution/actually optimized shit for PS5. Still quite enjoying it as-is but I would like a patch.

Speaking of chalice dungeons, that's where I've been. Only been doing the premade ones so I can see some new bosses and shit (Didn't realize there was unique armor in there until I got it) and they're okay. Definitely not up to snuff with the rest of the game but for more to do it's not the worst. Arguably should be focusing on the main game more (And the game in general) so I could move on to Demon's Souls and Elden Ring but since I haven't bought them yet it is kind of nice to take my time and know I've got more From games floating in the ether for when I want them. I do kinda wonder if I'll like them as much as Bloodborne, since even though the more aggressive combat put me off for a while it has grown on me.

Irata

Scholar
I'm hearing so many people online saying stuff like 'yeah Elden Ring is alright, but Bloodborne is their TRUE masterpiece' and I can't help but think... why?

I don't think I've seen it recently, but for a long time I read people saying that Demon Souls was the best Souls-like game even after Dark Souls III came out.

Still waiting on a Bloodborne PC version...

Killed Micolash, a bunch of exploring and being killed by a big blob of eyes later, got my hands on a blood rock and have a +10 weapon. NOW BACK TO THE DLC FOR MY REVENGE. Nightmare of Mensis is a really cool area though, especially like those ghostly puppets. Not particularly deadly, just really neat. Micolash was gimmick boss but it was a fun gimmick, expected more out of him but I'm not even sure if he was as deadly as that chick in the clinic. Bloodborne's grown QUITE a lot on me by now. Did pick up Elden Ring and have it sitting unopened by the consolemachine for once I finish Bloodborne (Demon's Souls can wait. I'll check it out eventually but I wanna see the new hotness when it's at least relatively new) and I'm looking forward to it even though I intend to play a wizard just as a complete change of pace from Bloodborne.

At this point I can definitely see why people pick Bloodborne as their favorite. Still don't think it's miles better than the Dark Souls games and THE ULTIMATE GAME but it's really goddamn good. It's also possible that the rose tinted glasses of memory are making the DS games stack up favorably against it too. Will be interesting to dive straight into ER after slowly chewing through my first BB run.

Lady Maria and Orphan of Kos were both fun. Maria in particular, but oddly enough Kos' spastic flailing was still a lot easier for me to read and react to than the beasts that had given me shits in the past. DLC complete, and now I think I'm closing in on the end of the base game. In fact that double giant fishman fight in the well nearly killed me as much as the orphan. Those bosses will probably be difficult to top since they were hitting that really sweet spot of difficult but fair, and relatively vulnerable to different mechanics such as having their poise smacked down. Surprisingly enough I had better success with orphan using the two-handed trick form of my pizza cutter than the faster single handed form since dodging an attack (Especially a charge) would let me get 2-3 good whacks in with the poise break while in one-handed form the attacks were faster but the poise break wasn't as reliable so I'd get the occasional "Oops, didn't get staggered, now you lose half your health".

With the DLC done I can see why it's a favorite for From DLC. All their expansions have been good but that felt like a hefty chunk not to mention all the cool unique weapons and shit it added, and those two bosses in particular are some of their best (Though I haven't yet played Demon's Souls, Sekiro, or Elden Ring). Feel a little bad about buying a digital copy of Bloodborne complete and not picking up a euro physical copy (Euro because the NA physical copy has a code for the DLC while the euro one has it included on the disc) since Sony apparently has no qualms about deleting digital games you own. Still, it was cheap and they presumably won't delete it in the near future.

Daughter of the cosmos and wet nurse of the cosmos and hunter of the cosmos and cosmos (Moon) all killed. After the rocking bosses from the DLC the bosses I finished up the base game on weren't as exciting. Moon presence in particular was a surprising letdown, and Gehrman was a fun fight but not as good as his waifu lady Maria. All told Bloodborne's definitely a favorite after knocking it on the head and I'll no doubt play it again in the future, they just need to do a fucking PS5 update patch and a PC release for it. Next character might lean on bloodtinge and try gunslinging since that'd be an interesting change of pace, but Bloodborne's got so many cool weapons I'd almost hate to do guns. Even though guns would get me cannons and miniguns and shit.

Started my Elden Ring character immediately after and I was genuinely shocked how bad the controls felt compared to Bloodborne. It's definitely not like it's unplayable or completely fucked up or anything, but since I went from finishing off Bloodborne, taking a half hour break to get a drink while Elden Ring installed and patched, then diving in it was extremely noticeable. ER's got a fraction of a second delay on registering a lot of button presses and even seemingly ignored some of them (May have been low juice left on the controller, did plug it in after playing a bit and the dropped commands seemed less noticeable) which surprised me after how responsive Bloodborne was due to all the fast stepping and shit required of you. Admittedly this is also less of an issue in a Dark Souls-like game (Which I assume ER is) since it's theoretically not as fast as Bloodborne and you've got more defensive options than just dodging, but still. Did indeed make a wizard which was an astrologer in ER so I'm on my way to discovering the cosmos is closer than I thought and getting eyes on the inside.

Edit: Yeah, looking like missing some buttons was because of low battery.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Just remember an "arcanist" in bloodborne is not a spell-slinger, but someone who makes use of arcane (occult, little understood) implements and knowledge, be it technological (eg: flamethrower) or eldritch (eg: executioners gloves). Spell-slinging tools are just a part of an arcanist arsenal. What's interesting in an arcanist run is that it allows the widest gamut of weapons and implements. You can have a weapon for each type of damage/enemy weakness (fire for beasts, bolt for kin, arcane for pthumerians).

Just remember an "arcanist" in bloodborne is not a spell-slinger, but someone who makes use of arcane (occult, little understood) implements and knowledge, be it technological (eg: flamethrower) or eldritch (eg: executioners gloves). Spell-slinging tools are just a part of an arcanist arsenal. What's interesting in an arcanist run is that it allows the widest gamut of weapons and implements. You can have a weapon for each type of damage/enemy weakness (fire for beasts, bolt for kin, arcane for pthumerians).
That is interesting since I was wondering how arcane would work in Bloodborne given most of the arcane doodads I found didn't seem to be damaging, and sacrificing combat stats for arcane seemed iffy. I assume you get access to the tentacle burst a few enemies have at various points but I'm not sure I found that, but I did find an arcane weapon buff which almost made me want to splash arcane to 15 except I was deep enough in my levels I thought I'd just keep nudging HP and stamina.

The Decline

Arcane
That is interesting since I was wondering how arcane would work in Bloodborne given most of the arcane doodads I found didn't seem to be damaging, and sacrificing combat stats for arcane seemed iffy. I assume you get access to the tentacle burst a few enemies have at various points but I'm not sure I found that, but I did find an arcane weapon buff which almost made me want to splash arcane to 15 except I was deep enough in my levels I thought I'd just keep nudging HP and stamina.

The thing with the Hunter Tools is that they generally scale well up to 99 Arcane. I had a lot of fun playing through as Arcane, there are so many options.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Moon presence in particular was a surprising letdown, and Gehrman was a fun fight but not as good as his waifu lady Maria.
They're not bad fights, but if you do them after the dlc (as you must unless you skip the dlc) you'll be so completely overlevelled that they can't not be anticlimactic.

The thing with the Hunter Tools is that they generally scale well up to 99 Arcane. I had a lot of fun playing through as Arcane, there are so many options.
Can confirm that arcane is really strong. I never really noticed needing arcane damage for pthumerians (might be true tho!), but just the basic fire for first half, bolt for second half on your main weapon takes you really far in terms of damage output. The various tools are just gravy.

HP is also a very strong stat to boost, as blood vials always heal a third of your max hp.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
One of the best things about Bloodborne is that there aren't all that many weapons, but they all feel more or less different (a few exceptions like the straight sword mode of Kirkhammer and Ludwig's Holy Blade) and viable.

I always have trouble picking out my favourite weapon, but contenders are Chikage, Rakuyo, Whirlygig Saw, Bloodletter, Ludwig's Holy Blade, Hunter Axe, Saw Spear, and Saw Cleaver (so like nearly half of them). They all feel fun in slightly different ways. I mean, even though I just tried to list a few weapons and then kept going well what about this and this and this and ended up with almost just listing every weapon in the game, I can now think of fun things to do with other weapons like the Boom Hammer. So awesome.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Indeed, the combat was great and didn't fall into a roll festival (invincibility spam) like DS3. Unfortunately it's not on PC, meaning the game will never be played how it should be, proper 60 FPS, bells and whistles.
Besides there are massive FPS drops at certain area making the combat sometimes laggy or sluggish.
And yes it's a problem in a fast-paced combat game.

Last edited:
So I got a little carried away...

IMG-0382.jpg

(pad for size comparison). It doesn't look like much but I got lightheaded and overwhelmed after only opening just the core box+extras.

By some miracle I found that close to original Kickstarter price among all those japanese autists listing used shit for 1-2k USD. I am deeply thankful the miraculous soul for that, though it came at a price of post-Brexit deals negotiated by Potato Post. 5 working days delivery! Disclaimer: cargo stuck on airport for 5 weeks not included.

Still, my first tabletop game, and what a blast.

:what:

Sweet Jesus, I was vaguely aware they made a Bloodborne board game but I didn't know there were 40 expansions. If there's a mini for the doll I feel you're morally obliged to put it inside a jar and take a picture. It's what Gehrman would want.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Now open all these and recreate the Bloodbourne map with all these boards.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If there's a mini for the doll I feel you're morally obliged to put it inside a jar and take a picture. It's what Gehrman would want.

EB92-F5-EE-58-F6-4-BE1-A7-DE-AB90-BED5-F200.jpg

That's pretty cool, but what's up with your baby oil jar next to it? It's kinda small and non-descript to jack it over. ;)

Is the game any good?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom