Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Songs of Conquest - HOMM2-inspired turn-based strategy adventure game - now on Early Access

ArchAngel

Arcane
You are still talking about shit while I got owned in campaign mission 4. AI pulls heroes with lots of units out of their ass whole mission that I barely win over and then comes with unkillable hero with 100 crazy spells... this reminds me why I usually play skirmish in these games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fuck this, they still could not balance spellscaster heroes owning everyone else.. I got much superior army, bigger level and better gear but enemy owns me with spells and there is zero I can do about it...

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Cause it's really getting annoying and while I don't ignore people for disagreeing with me, I just don't see what you are adding here other than scrolling space between posts that don't waste everyone's time.
Welcome to the new codex, where every single gaming thread is unreadable until after page 10-20, as retards like this throw their garbage opinions that no one asked for into every newly created thread. It naturally dies out as they, like the gypsies they despise, never stay in the same spot for long and move into new threads about new games soon enough to do the same shit over and over again.

Game is solid, although a bit barebones still. Great foundation for a potentially great game, as long as they dont feature-creep themselves into a 2y+ development hell. Been playing and watching during Alpha/Beta already and the devs certainly know what made HoMM3 so enjoyable, and so far theyve used the player feedback to improve the game where it actually mattered. If they continue like that and use the EA money to fund ongoing development instead of getting baited into expanding the team with the one-time influx of cash, this could be another great indie game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You are still talking about shit while I got owned in campaign mission 4. AI pulls heroes with lots of units out of their ass whole mission that I barely win over and then comes with unkillable hero with 100 crazy spells... this reminds me why I usually play skirmish in these games.
Another thing that's very true to HoMM (and similar games), then...

There's basically one correct way to do a mission and if you don't do that correct way, you'll get shafted - but often enough half an hour after you made the initial "mistake".
I'm not a fan of this, either.

I "fondly" remember that one mission in AoW3 where you could do very well and practically own the map, but at some predetermined turn, full stacks of AI would spawn at a certain location (right in the middle of your realm, far away from any threat so you won't protect them) and if you don't have armies to greet them, they'd waste your cities.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Fuck this, they still could not balance spellscaster heroes owning everyone else.. I got much superior army, bigger level and better gear but enemy owns me with spells and there is zero I can do about it...
hqdefault.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

There's basically one correct way to do a mission and if you don't do that correct way, you'll get shafted - but often enough half an hour after you made the initial "mistake".

I "fondly" remember that one mission in AoW3 where you could do very well and practically own the map, but at some predetermined turn, full stacks of AI would spawn at a certain location (right in the middle of your realm, far away from any threat so you won't protect them) and if you don't have armies to greet them, they'd waste your cities.

HoMM5’s campaigns, especially the expansion ones, are fantastic and rarely succumb to this issue

ArchAngel

Arcane
hqdefault.jpg
Yes but human/fey camp does not have magic immune creatures and I have not seen any way to reduce spell damage.
Enemy Hero has a bunch of archers and 100 damage AoE spells (wtf). I had 4 packs of my faction ultimate units (they got 90 HP each) but they get demolished with AoE spells turn after turn and if you move forward you will only get into their Deadly Aim area..
Only way to fix this issue is to start over the mission but ignore my main hero I took from Mission 1 and use a spellcaster game gives you fairly early into the mission and fight the enemy in same way they fight you...

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
hqdefault.jpg
Yes but human/fey camp does not have magic immune creatures and I have not seen any way to reduce spell damage.
Enemy Hero has a bunch of archers and 100 damage AoE spells (wtf). I had 4 packs of my faction ultimate units (they got 90 HP each) but they get demolished with AoE spells turn after turn and if you move forward you will only get into their Deadly Aim area..
Only way to fix this issue is to start over the mission but ignore my main hero I took from Mission 1 and use a spellcaster game gives you fairly early into the mission and fight the enemy in same way they fight you...
Try quick combat,that is the way i kill spellcasters,they are impossible in manual combat.

ArchAngel

Arcane
hqdefault.jpg
Try quick combat,that is the way i kill spellcasters,they are impossible in manual combat.
I tried, I still lost :D
I managed to win vs all spellcasters except that last one. It had about same amount of units as I but had way more powerful spell while having weaker combat abilities. It also seemed to cheat with how many units it could have in stacks

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
hqdefault.jpg
I tried, I still lost :D
I managed to win vs all spellcasters except that last one. It had about same amount of units as I but had way more powerful spell while having weaker combat abilities. It also seemed to cheat with how many units it could have in stacks
i just stopped playing on the last mission because of how the ai cheats like little whore. It just spams the heroes with ready whole armies. You just can't keep up with the army amount. I just managed to kill the casters and a few heroes and then it just resurrected their hero with a full army next to me lol.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

HoMM5’s campaigns, especially the expansion ones, are fantastic and rarely succumb to this issue

As a follow-up, if anyone considers a playthrough, use the Might & Magic: Heroes 5.5 mod. Complete AI and skill overhaul. MASSIVE and very polished patch for HoMM5, just remember to use the appropriate version if you plan on playing campaign - the most recent multiplayer build Will not work.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As a follow-up, if anyone considers a playthrough, use the Might & Magic: Heroes 5.5 mod. Complete AI and skill overhaul. MASSIVE and very polished patch for HoMM5

I bought the game in a GOG sale just two months ago and I plan to finally take it for a spin. Avoided it for years bc of the wowized art style but I guess it's time.

Does the "complete AI overhaul" means the AI will roflstomp you unless you've metagamed this to death? Also is the vanilla skill system so bad it needed a complete overhaul?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
As a follow-up, if anyone considers a playthrough, use the Might & Magic: Heroes 5.5 mod. Complete AI and skill overhaul. MASSIVE and very polished patch for HoMM5

I bought the game in a GOG sale just two months ago and I plan to finally take it for a spin. Avoided it for years bc of the wowized art style but I guess it's time.

Does the "complete AI overhaul" means the AI will roflstomp you unless you've metagamed this to death? Also is the vanilla skill system so bad it needed a complete overhaul?

Yes and no. The AI can be harder, but not because of doom stacks. It just makes better decisions in battles, skill builds etc. Just don't play on the hardest difficulty (trust me, its creature spawning mechanics are not intended for campaign). Do Normal or Hard.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, seems nobody is able to beat mission 4. Everyone is running into same problems I ran into. Some people even redid first 3 missions to level up the main character to have more defense vs spells but it didn't help lol

wishbonetail

Learned
Ok, seems nobody is able to beat mission 4. Everyone is running into same problems I ran into. Some people even redid first 3 missions to level up the main character to have more defense vs spells but it didn't help lol
In every single strategy and adventure thread some dork would show up claiming that the game is too easy. Maybe, finally, here we'll have an exception.

Gaznak

Learned
Because HoMM genre is basically dead so anything similar is cool.

Anything similar. This is the first step to alcohol-free beer and rubber c*nt, you know.

Now almost every genre is dead, although they all may look as alive and kicking, and full of novelties at first glance. And I'm not so sure if the word 'almost' is truly needed here.

Anything similar. This is the first step to alcohol-free beer and rubber c*nt, you know.

Now almost every genre is dead, although they all may look as alive and kicking, and full of novelties at first glance. And I'm not so sure if the word 'almost' is truly needed here.
so what are you suggesting? No more new games ever again?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

so what are you suggesting? No more new games ever again?

odds are anything you like sucks etc etc

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Now almost every genre is dead

You must be very young. I remember when almost every genre was dead, it was in the early to mid oughties. Steam wasn't really a thing yet, no independent publishing, so all we got was shooters, sports games and other akshun drek, with a few rare exceptions like Civilization.

Trust me when I say this is by far the BEST time for gaming, there are a shitload of games from every genre, even from the most obscure subgenres. Hell I bet we have more grid-based blobber RPGs today than in the 1990s.

Gaznak

Learned
You must be very young.

If 45 is young enough for you then yes.

I remember when almost every genre was dead, it was in the early to mid oughties. Steam wasn't really a thing yet, no independent publishing, so all we got was shooters, sports games and other akshun drek, with a few rare exceptions like Civilization.

Trust me when I say this is by far the BEST time for gaming, there are a shitload of games from every genre, even from the most obscure subgenres. Hell I bet we have more grid-based blobber RPGs today than in the 1990s.

Early to mid oughties was the time when the last decent games were released.

Now you have the shitload of games of every genre, exactly. Shitload, you name it yourself. Is there at least one of, say, mentioned grid-based blobbers that could be on par with blobbers of old-school (Grimoire apart)? Any RTS? Any TBS? Any shooter? Any RPG, for the Codex' sake?

Now could be the best time for gaming, not for games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom