Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space remake from Motive Studios

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still think you should see some difference.

I'm generally not a fan of ReShade's as most of them turn every option they can on, but I did end up really like one for Dead Space, Alone in Space. I've been playing it again and it adds some much needed visual punch while making the game darker; essentially what these devs are trying to do anyway, and you get the original game without their fuck-ups.

A/B

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
Also both DS games had shit stories and they don't talk about changing that.
Makes me wonder what will they do about Isaac's gf cringy story. I mean, he had a video of her death but refused to acknowledge this and his crew mates knew his was mental but still had taken him on the job.

SumDrunkGuy

Dead Space isn't that old and it doesn't look horrible. A simple remaster would have sufficed like what they did with Resident Evil 1 Remake. This seems retarded.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

why do they think that "lived in environment" must be dirty, grimy and shabby?

The last part of this video was hilarious. Where they are talking about how much effort they put into creating an "immersive" "believable" environment out of some tiny nothing of a room that the player will spend probably less than 1 minute in because Dead Space is a stupid action shooter and not some thoughtful exploration heavy first person rpg. They took what used to be a normal looking storage area or something, a bit dingy and unused looking, somewhat sterile so it makes sense to be in a medical area (and it being sterile and clean makes it more unsettling really), and decided to spray a bunch of literal shit and garbage on the walls and floors, change the décor to look like it was meant to be a techno-gothic torture chamber where the mining crew comes to get stroggified, and fill it with a bunch of nonsensical "narrative scenes." Why is there an operating table in the same room as an office desk where it looks like someone was doing paperwork? Why are there a bunch of big water jugs behind the office desk, and again, why in an operating room (people were coming in here to get a refill for the watercooler for the MRI machine room next door while someone is having an arm amputated?). Why would the floor start to immediately rust when one of these water jugs spilled on it? Did they not think to build the interior of a spaceship out of a material that wouldn't immediately rust on contact with small amounts of water?
I guess they call it the art pipeline because it spews out sewage.
This is a great example of the result of things like "lore" and "immersion" becoming bullet point buzzwords, so you get these morons who say "we need more lore in this room! spray some blood on the floor! use the Adobe Narrative Object Detail Generator™ to spam more immersive narrative details into the scene!"

Gameplay video I just watched looks identical to OG Dead Space, just more detail.

Not sure why they went the route of a remake instead of a remaster.

But will they remember to fix V-Sync bug?

Seriously though, there's absolute zero need to remake this. Game still looks and plays fine.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Why is there an operating table in the same room as an office desk where it looks like someone was doing paperwork? Why are there a bunch of big water jugs behind the office desk, and again, why in an operating room (people were coming in here to get a refill for the watercooler for the MRI machine room next door while someone is having an arm amputated?)
It doesn't really look like an operating room, more like a doctor's office with some diagnostic machines - which isn't anything that unusual really, especially if the doctor spends most of his time in said office diagnosing patients and issuing prescriptions. Dunno what the "water jugs" are supposed to be though, but I assume they don't contain water.

Looking more closely there seems to be one next to the bloodied bed, so I'd assume it's either a battery of some sort or that it holds medicine.

Also, Dead Space leans more towards Alien than it does Star Trek, so everything is supposed to look grimy, used and old. The Ishimura is an old ship, and the medbay looked very similar in the original as well. Remember, this is a universe where growth and replacement of lost limbs (due to industrial accidents) is commonplace.

I have no illusions about the game will be good, especially since they don't seem to be incorporating much in terms of gameplay innovations from DS2, but them wanting to add a bit of uniqueness to each room by letting the environment tell a story is nothing to be critical about. Maybe it's not the best use of resources at hand, but if it makes each room feel distinct then all the more power to them.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Isaac Clarke's voice actor Gunner Wright will record all new stuff for the remake.

He didn't have a voice in the game. This is disgusting pissing on the only game that actually mattered.

DS2 and 3 are hot garbage. I mean hot garbage. DS1 is actually damn good despite being an EA inhouse title. Part of that was that Clarke didn't fucking scream or opine or whine in that game. Goddam degenerate shits. Fuck this "remake".

Straight to the garbage where it belongs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom