Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

tentanz

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Microsoft should dump Bethesda as a studio entire, take the Elder Scrolls / Fallout IP's, and put other studios on them. Bethesda is about to go Bioware where they put out a string of flops - and there "BEST RPG MAKER" cred w/ journos and mainstream players falls apart - put them out of their misery now and get money from the purchase.

People playing on they PS5 having to load interior cells for Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 aren't going to be down.
Why does Microsoft care about people playing on PS5?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Microsoft should dump Bethesda as a studio entire, take the Elder Scrolls / Fallout IP's, and put other studios on them.
Trying to accelerate to the day we wish Bethesda was in charge again ... that's some real forward thinking.
iseewhatyoudid.png

LizardWizard

Cipher
Eh.

Their last game was FO76. It was initially a flop but their management pushed all boundaries to get it to success by pivoting quickly. It is now a pretty successful game.

Two years to add basic dialogue isn't 'pivoting quickly'. Considering Todd at one point claimed F76 had development assistance from all four their studios claiming it's pretty successful is a massive reach considering their initial budget, expectations and pitiful amount of total copies actually sold despite 4 years of patching. But I'm sure there are bunch of idiots still subbing for stash space, which is probably the only reason the game is still being supported.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Microsoft should dump Bethesda as a studio entire, take the Elder Scrolls / Fallout IP's, and put other studios on them. Bethesda is about to go Bioware where they put out a string of flops - and there "BEST RPG MAKER" cred w/ journos and mainstream players falls apart - put them out of their misery now and get money from the purchase.

People playing on they PS5 having to load interior cells for Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 aren't going to be down.
Why does Microsoft care about people playing on PS5?

They don't - but I don't feel like figuring out what the latest Xbox is called, so I use PS5 as shorthand for this console generation.

Point being, dudes on the current console are going to wake up to Bethesda making games on an engine from 2000 that's held together by ducktape and bubblegum - and their games will continue flopping.

Look at the fate of Bioware.

And I'm not saying Microsoft farming out the games to other studios would make for better games - but they could at least get more of them made in a shorter time, rather then sitting on valuable franchises but having to wait for Bethesda to finish polishing whatever turd they are on. Besides, I have more faith in inxile, obsidian, shit even studios like raven or arkane - to put out a better game then Bethesda will.

If Starfield is a flop, which it looks v. likely, then that hurts the reputation going into Elder Scrolls 6 - not to mention Bethesda tech is already backwards, if it takes them another 2-3 years to make the damn game, it'll be even more noticeable.

Besides, you're not going to see a lot of return on investment if it takes til 2025-2028 to see releases in the big IP's they bought.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Microsoft should dump Bethesda as a studio entire, take the Elder Scrolls / Fallout IP's, and put other studios on them.
Trying to accelerate to the day we wish Bethesda was in charge again ... that's some real forward thinking.
iseewhatyoudid.png

Regardless of your opinion on the quality of: New Vegas, Pillars 1 & 2, Wasteland 2 & 3 - they are all better games and RPG's then Skyrim, F04 and leagues better then 76.

So, no, I doubt we'd ever wish Bethesda was in charge again.

Herumor

Scholar
Asshole always says he knew something after a big announcement but never before.

I still don't understand why anyone ever listens to him after that whole thing where he talked about how liking the design of the sorceress from Dragon's Crown made you a pedophile.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Regardless of your opinion on the quality of: New Vegas, Pillars 1 & 2, Wasteland 2 & 3 - they are all better games and RPG's then Skyrim, F04 and leagues better then 76.

Really? Pillars 1 & 2? You cant be serious. There is a case to be made strictly as an RPG. But better games? Come on now.

Zibniyat

Arcane

Finally a somewhat good news about this title. It would be nice to be graced with an even better news in the near future, which would be for the project to be cancelled, Bethesda suffering significant financial losses and at least some of its key staff getting the boot out of the company (Todd is my pick).

Alternatively, I'll be satisfied with Bethesda's HQ going through the ordeal equivalent to this one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Animation_arson_attack

But then again Japanese are a chosen people, whilst Americans are too busy cutting their balls off, so chances of it happening are slim at best.

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Regardless of your opinion on the quality of: New Vegas
What the hell does current year Obsidian have to do with New Vegas? The studio changed so much in their workforce and values, New Vegas might as well have been made by Black Isle.
Bethesda on the other hand is in Maryland (not fucking California) and is notorious for having low turnover. They got dudes there working since before Todd in actual development roles (not just old managers).
FO76 debacle has nothing to do with BGS, their 'involvement' in that game was for name value and in support roles mainly. Now, next BGS games might still be oversimplified turds like FO4, if they didn't learn their lesson (there's slight indication that they did and will go back to at least Skyrim level).
But in no shape or form will Obisidian be a better team to develop TES VI.

Monocause

Arcane
Eh.

Their last game was FO76. It was initially a flop but their management pushed all boundaries to get it to success by pivoting quickly. It is now a pretty successful game.

Two years to add basic dialogue isn't 'pivoting quickly'. Considering Todd at one point claimed F76 had development assistance from all four their studios claiming it's pretty successful is a massive reach considering their initial budget, expectations and pitiful amount of total copies actually sold despite 4 years of patching. But I'm sure there are bunch of idiots still subbing for stash space, which is probably the only reason the game is still being supported.

Todd said a couple months ago that FO76 has 11 million players. Apart from the flat purchase fee that a big chunk of these 11 million had paid - I don't think there's exact figures about gamepass vs non-gamepass players available but at least a couple of million peeps paid the shelf price for the game - about 5-10% of the playerbase will usually throw in some money regularly into the product, and out of those 5-10%, 5% will be whales who'll spend stupid amounts of money for every gimmick you throw at them. A single guy like that can spend tens of thousands of dollars on a title.

FO76 had a rocky start but financially I'm pretty sure it's a success now.

Last edited:

tentanz

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I think Starfield will be pretty fun and BGS will be fine.:| They're still a pretty small studio, comparatively speaking, backed by micro$oft.

ferratilis

Magister
Xbox fans are in shambles right now. Microsoft has over 20 studios, and they won't release a single game this year. The only thing they've released so far is Halo Infinite, and that's barely half a game, a mismanaged mess of a product. They can't even properly manage the studios they have, and still want to buy more. At this point, by the time TES VI comes out, we'll all be dead.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Very disappointed with the delay. I don't think MD will have any more first party game releases this year and well into the first trimester of 2023.

MS game studios is a gigantic clusterfuck.

deuxhero

Arcane
With Starfield delayed and no sign of TES6 this decade, I wonder how many more times they can re-release Skyrim to fill the gap. If they don't do something like have one of MS's other studios remake Shadowkey, the brand will have serious fatigue by the time TES6 is actually shoved out the door.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom