Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Ron reopened comments on the blog:
We have done extensive outside playtesting and the art always threw people for the first hour and by the time they were done, all the art and animation got very high praise.
Love the candor of this quote: first reaction is to call it out for the trash it is, but extended exposition will demoralize you into submission agreeing that the emperor sports a beautiful dress. Contemporary "art" industry in a nutshell, swallow shit till it tastes good. This is the aesthetic equivalent to eating the bug, and you will be happy.

Wanna quess who will be blamed when RtMi either flops or seriously under perform?
After all adventure games are a niche genre where you can't afford to lose gamers unlike other more popular genres.

Ron is a shitlib and he'll do what shitlibs always do when their product sucks. Instead of re-evaluating and considering that the criticisms may have some validity to them, he'll accuse his customers of being racist sexist bigots. He will then be applauded and labelled heroic by shitlib gaming press. Maybe he'll finally come out of the closet for some more brownie points. He is just laying the groundwork now.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
not only does this fat has been try to cannibalize one of the industry's cornerstones for nostalgia bucks but he also has the gall to act dismissive when people criticize the artwork, ie. shit you're going to look at for hours trying to play his games

Vault Dweller is a terrible developer smh

Neuromancer

Augur
Of course they did, it’s just a matter of CTL-C, CTL-V.
Oh no, it's much more sophisticated than that!
They also used the mirror, rotation and resize tool...

Seriously:
As simple as this "bird model" is, they could have at least changed them a little bit from instance to instance.

Since the birds all look alike, it is also clear, that they are not animated.
So in-game they would stick out even more, when characters move but the birds are frozen in place.

Boleskine

Arcane
I know the original voice actor for Guybrush has been announced to return, but has it been confirmed that Guybrush is actually the main/playable character for ReMI?

If not I have a feeling that his daughter will actually be the protagonist and Guybrush will be a side character. The meltdowns will be glorious, moreso if his daughter is a blue-haired feminist "stronk womyn" type of character.

Boleskine

Arcane

4idMce0.png

fpauXvO.png

LaZP7xH.png

kVGfkLP.png

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"I wanted the art in Return to Monkey Island to be provocative, shocking, and not what everyone was expecting."
"If anyone is calling this crappy flash animation I suggest you go look at some actual crappy flash animation. There is no comparison."
"We have done extensive outside playtesting and the art always threw people for the first hour"

The solution is so simple: fire the artist.

agris

Arcane
Patron
yeah, has a bit of that claymation look. I can't quite place it, but the butcher's counter and the fireplace just look like pieces of clay set in a diorama, and the lighting reinforces it.

fork

IMO if they want to find a workable compromise here, they could keep the background art and only change the style of the characters (including animals, paintings, statues, etc).

The backgrounds are a little bare/sparse in style but wouldn't look so bad with more realistic characters filling them.

Fuck you, asshole shill.
Like asspiss put it so eloquently, this is anti-art. They don't want to make anything good, they want to shit on the originals and their original fans.

Boleskine

Arcane
Upcoming Simon the Sorcerer game:

0c5RDhw.png

Return to Monkey Island:
y2E0n4M.png

Would the art style of the Simon game would be more pleasing to the ReMI art detractors? I'll always have a soft spot for the hand drawn visual style. Art and animation in the vein of Curse of Monkey Island would have been wonderful.

The more I think about it the more I agree with and understand the criticisms. While Rex Crowle's art is certainly very well done, the visuals of the game Knights and Bikes is not something at which I'd look and say, "This is a great fit for Monkey Island."

2m7OsBn.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom