Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ARMA Reforger - alternate 1989 cold war milsim - now available on Early Access

ADL

Prophet
https://reforger.armaplatform.com

Social profiles renamed to @ArmaPlatform
Reveal stream live now https://www.twitch.tv/armaplatform
KEY FEATURES:
  • Alternate 1989 Cold War setting
  • Everon - a mid-Atlantic island, spanning 52km²
  • Multiplayer game mode, featuring competitive and cooperative gameplay
  • Conflict - large scale warfare, showcasing infantry combat
  • 3 factions, 6 vehicles (with 18 variants), 15 weapons, 2 type grenades, and 13 dedicated combat roles
  • Battlefield communications and logistics
  • Game Master scenario editor, multiplatform Workshop, and full modding support
  • Persistent player profiles

Last edited by a moderator:

deuxhero

Arcane
Can the vehicle in the first screenshot be IDed? Could narrow down location.

Edit: This post was made when there was only a teaser. Before OP was edited with leaked press kit stuff that confirmed time and place.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Page 35:
THE PURPOSE OF ARMA REFORGER IS TO:
Introduce Arma to a new (console-oriented) audience

iu

EDIT:
37:
Contrary to prior instalments in the franchise,
future Arma releases will be multi-platform
titles. Arma Reforger is expected to launch
on PC, Xbox (One/Series X), and PlayStation
(4/5 in the future)

:badnews:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Page 76 and 77 made me laugh, their target audience is mainly single males likely to have children

ADL

Prophet
multiplatform aka is going to be shit.
If DayZ on consoles is any indicator, it'll be playable on a controller but you'll still have the same functionality you had before on keyboard+mouse. Lots of console players plugin a keyboard+mouse too. DayZ also happens to run on the Enfusion engine as well so that gives some idea on how it'll run. Runs okay on last gen hardware at 900p but current gen gets a locked 4K/60.

Konjad

Patron
multiplatform aka is going to be shit.
If DayZ on consoles is any indicator, it'll be playable on a controller but you'll still have the same functionality you had before on keyboard+mouse. Lots of console players plugin a keyboard+mouse too. DayZ also happens to run on the Enfusion engine as well so that gives some idea on how it'll run. Runs okay on last gen hardware at 900p but current gen gets a locked 4K/60.
Fake news.

The only Enfusion engine part of DayZ is graphic processing. Otherwise it's the old engine. So whatever is in DayZ is not indicative of anything, unless they stick to the same mechanics.

ADL

Prophet
Fake news.

The only Enfusion engine part of DayZ is graphic processing. Otherwise it's the old engine. So whatever is in DayZ is not indicative of anything, unless they stick to the same mechanics.
Didn't know that but that's surprising. The moment they switched to Enfusion everything about the game played and felt significantly better.

Full branding and marketing guide leaked. There's quite a bit more in this one.
https://www22.zippyshare.com/v/fufpXTyr/file.html

The 2021 leak about Reforger said that it would be on it's own launcher but there's a Steam logo right there. I'm guessing Bohemia renaming socials to "@ARMAPlatform" resulted in a miscommunication.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Console arma, rebranding their social media presence... oh boy. At least I have some hope that this will just be some middle thing, but it does sound like they want to make Arma some kind of live service in the future.

Narushima

Cipher
Everon? That was the island in Operation Flashpoint, wasn't it?
Man, that was a great game. I remember an infiltration mission at night on my own in an enemy base, planting explosives, then watching them go off from a hill.

There should be some basic in-game monetization in the future,
Oh...

3 factions, 6 vehicles (with 18 variants), 15 weapons, 2 types of grenades
Well that doesn't seem like much.

Our plans will focus on restoring related features from past Arma titles, as well as cultivating the anti-war, humanitarian focus of the series.
Take time to emphasize the impact of war on non-combatants, while simultaneously examining the responsibilities of military forces
Oh...

Teach players that actions have consequences
Oh, it's an RPG.

Last edited:

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Console arma, rebranding their social media presence... oh boy. At least I have some hope that this will just be some middle thing, but it does sound like they want to make Arma some kind of live service in the future.
can already sense then gonna monetize game modes a la battleroyale/king of the hill. Stuff gonna be locked behind levels (maybe) and so on.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Narushima lol, damn, didn't read the anti-war thing. Have to say that comes out as a bit weird - making simulators, simulating war, I mean, that is how Bohemia make their profit, but then pretending they are doing it for an anti-war message.

"Yeah, let's make this game the most detailed war simulator ever, realistic ballistics, vehicles cook-off, civilian models and behavior, but remember, it has to be it anti-war, but still fun to plug a man with an ak47!"

I don't think people buy the Arma series for that aspect, they might like the story, and general theme, but most, including I, play it for the simulated war aspect. I have to say, it feels weird hearing them say it like that.

I know most war movies are anti-war, but I do find making a game a bit different. There is still some element of "fun" involved here, simulator or not, it should be satisfying to shoot a man in the chest, rocket a truck, etc. And I don't get PTSD from doing so in-game...

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I only do it to loot all the things and processed to have the truck blown up by reinforcements that arrive or my own group stupidity.

deuxhero

Arcane
Narushima lol, damn, didn't read the anti-war thing. Have to say that comes out as a bit weird - making simulators, simulating war, I mean, that is how Bohemia make their profit, but then pretending they are doing it for an anti-war message.

"Yeah, let's make this game the most detailed war simulator ever, realistic ballistics, vehicles cook-off, civilian models and behavior, but remember, it has to be it anti-war, but still fun to plug a man with an ak47!"

Japan has done it well enough for decades. "War can be justified and the bond between comrades is a wonderful thing, but it's always hell, senior officers/politicians are all too often detached from the boots on the ground, and your opponents are still humans just like you." This works especially well in a late Cold War setting, where most USSR countries are only with Russia by force.

3 factions, 6 vehicles (with 18 variants), 15 weapons, 2 types of grenades
Well that doesn't seem like much.

Cold War gone hot can work with a limited number of weapons, especially when you limit sub-factions (US instead of US+Germans+French+UK+kitchen sink), put things under variants (rifle and the DMR version of the rifle). Taking a guess on the 15 weapons+2 grenades:

USA
M3 SMG
M16 (+variants)
M249
Remington 700
M79
Launcher
Frag Grenade
Smoke Grenade

Warsaw Pact
Makarov
AK pattern (Russia proper and East Germany were the only ones to adopt 74 in significant numbers by collapse, and 7.62x39 makes it distinct in gameplay from M16 and any 7.62x51 rifle Everon is given)
PKM
Dragunov
RPG
Frag Grenade (cosmetic difference)
Smoke Grenade (cosmetic difference)

Everon/Partisan
9x19 Pistol
M3 SMG (9x19 variant)
FAL/G3/M14 (+ variants)
MG3
Remington 700 (reused)
M79 (reused)
Frag Grenade
Smoke Grenade

That's a reasonable assortment in mechanical difference, even between weapons of the same class. Main rifle could be mid-range low power but accurate, fast and light (M16 family), powerful accuratish and long range but heavy and hard to use multiple shots with (battle rifle), or middle weight, middle power relatively low range. If you went with VP9 for the Everon pistol (unusual but not implausible) you could have a strong and accurate but low capacity 1911, a weak and inaccurate but high capacity VP9, and a relatively accurate but weak and low capacity Makarov. Remington 700 would be far more accurate than Dragunov, but slower firing and reloading.

No idea how the fuck 6 vehicles will work though. Most spartan list I can think of is
1: Civilian Car (Confirmed. Might be able to squeeze Jeep or MUTT in as a "variant")
2: BMP (Confirmed)
3: M113 or Bradley (NATO counterpart to BMP)
4: Abrams (I doubt they'd get away with no tank support)
5: Soviet MBT
6: Either some Everon military vehicle, or a helicopter/boat.

Last edited:

Narushima

Cipher
Cold War gone hot can work with a limited number of weapons
I don't disagree with that, and it could even apply to modern war. It's just that it seems a step down from what they've been doing. Or maybe I'm too used to playing Arma 3 with mods that add a million different things.

deuxhero

Arcane
Given it was under French control till post-war, I have to wonder what happened to Everon in WW2. A World War 2 expansion wouldn't be the worst idea: Make a variant of the world that changes man-made stuff/exact vegetation, adds a few weapons (Ruby, Lebel, resistance crafted SMG, a Japanese handgun, Arisaka, Japanese MG, M1 Garand, BAR.) and a pair of short campaigns about a native resistance and American landing.

Cold War gone hot can work with a limited number of weapons
I don't disagree with that, and it could even apply to modern war. It's just that it seems a step down from what they've been doing. Or maybe I'm too used to playing Arma 3 with mods that add a million different things.
True. 20 would be a lot better (I had to sacrifice the MP5 to fit within 15! No room for shotgun either, and I had to go with underabarrel launchers being variants/accessories rather than weapons in their own right.). One thing to note is that Arma 3 added a few weapons in patches in addition to DLC and had a much barer arsenal at launch.

Edit: Didn't realize a big PDF was leaked, not just those screenshots. Going through it I see
M16 with M203
LMG M16 variant
Plain old M16
M72 Law
M60 (vehicle mount, possibly not usable on its own)
M2 Browning (Vehicle mount)
AK
RPG 7

Dragunov
Full size pistol (too blurry to tell. Clearly not Makarov)

MUTT
Troop transport truck
M113
Humvee
Transport helicopter and another helicopter (could be non-playable)
Some car behind AK user. Could be hijacked civilian vehicle.

Come to think of it, I don't actually see any clear indication of "proper" Soviet forces. Perhaps the three factions are actually Everon, Everon Rebels (one of which is back by communists, one backed by US), and US? That would simplify weapon picks since one of the three sides would just mix the weapons of two sides. Would also allow there to only be one tank.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Double post, but even the leak is so bad even the ESRB is participating!

This is a first-person shooter in which players engage in battlefield warfare within an alternate Cold War setting. Players move around territories and battle against enemy factions/soldiers for control of strategic points. Characters use pistols, rifles, grenades, and vehicle-mounted machine guns to kill enemies in realistic combat. Firefights are highlighted by gunfire, explosions, and cries of pain. Blood-splatter effects sometimes occur when enemies are hit; blood effects also appear on the camera when players are injured. The word “f**k” appears in the dialogue.

M for Blood, Strong Language, Violence. Curious thing is that it's listed as PC only.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Might buy to try, but need to know if it's multiplayer only. It doesn't really say anywhere. Does it even have bots?

ADL

Prophet
They're spawning NPCs in the new zeus mode on stream.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom