Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Games where priests are NOT corrupt.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
rpg priesthoods are usually modelled after the catholic church which is corrupt by design due to being a semi-feudal system running on leeching off national governments

Comte_II

rpg priesthoods are usually modelled after the catholic church which is corrupt by design due to being a semi-feudal system running on leeching off national governments

Church has been corrupted by faggots like you wanting social justice with Vatican II.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Church has been corrupted by faggots like you wanting social justice with Vatican II.
I don't expect someone who did not grow up in a catholic country to understand the extent of influence the church has on such a country, also including purely economic

Comte_II

I don't expect someone who did not grow up in a catholic country to understand the extent of influence the church has on such a country, also including purely economic

Maxie I still love you

Oracscube

Formerly known as Oracsbox
Patron
Oracscube i have question for inquisitor - can he recommend me something?

pic3259062.png

Sorry Reinhardt, no he can't
The Inquisitor only plays pen and paper games.
At the moment he is role-playing a priest in Heroes on his way to the Holy land who sets heretics on fire.
He is also playing a self made RPG using the Laserburn combat rules, his character is an Inquisitor who sets followers of the Red Redemption heresy on fire.
pic74165.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron

I did. And I understand: too much TVN*. Your inability to make a single answer to a post, based on logic too. Influence != being corrupted. Those are not synonyms. And that's assuming Church influence is really so big. I'm sure TVN scares you, can't sleep at night. Those evil clergymen will come to you at night and made you corrupt too, the horror!

*Main leftist television station in Potato, info for non-Potato here.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

I did. And I understand: too much TVN*. Your inability to make a single answer to a post, based on logic too. Influence != being corrupted. Those are not synonyms. And that's assuming Church influence is really so big. I'm sure TVN scares you, can't sleep at night. Those evil clergymen will come to you at night and made you corrupt too, the horror!

i'd rather not be so dismissive about the biggest land owner in the country routinely engaging in shady deals with politicians for favour in exchange for oddly opportune parcels way below market price, dotations for geothermal baths and some such

Max Damage

Savant
In Wizardry and other blobbers priests are not corrupt and are quite busy kicking ass when not at church :positive:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In VtMB, the society of leopold is not corrupt. Some of them even have access to TRUE faith which is quite rare. My unique critique is that they don't use weapons which are effective against vampires, like a shotgun with dragon breath ammo for eg.

Fake news. TVN is a center-right tv station, it's pretty much a polish equivalent of CNN.

plem

Learned
I mean, do you want a game where every single priest character is good and there's not a single corrupt one? because otherwise I don't think that's rare at all. what RPG doesn't have a good cleric? both pathfinder games have good priests with integrity, Jhod in Kingmaker, Sosiel in WotR, Arsinoe in both (are all clerics priests? is there a difference?). both PoE games also have occasional examples as well, though it gets a little muddled since some of the gods' ethos *is* corruption. Swordflight has great priests and paladins throughout, we get to see the church of Illmater fighting poverty and taking care of the city's needy.

Organized religion makes for good antagonists because it's a big influential group of people, and you don't have megacorps in the typical medieval fantasy setting. Fedora tippers who grew up with rpgs might have mistaken that for actual social commentary.

Oligryan

Novice
Please, list me some games with decent and heroic priests. Preferably high rank priests.

The Septium Church is overall lawful good in the Kiseki series, and the shady elements they do have are well justified. Even their Gralsritter FBI priests are mostly good-natured and sane despite having to constantly deal with SCP-esque nonsense. Hell, they even respect politically autonomy unless the shit really hits the fan or someone tries to make use of said SCP-esque nonsense.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The Lathlander priests in Strahd's possession are trying to do the right thing; it is just that Strahd kind of overpowers them.

There is any game where Lathlander priests aren't good?

Anyway, the second game, Stone Prophet has a corrupt mummy cleric as the main villain(instead of Strahd - vampire wizard/necro).

BruceVC

Magister
Oh I remembered another example of good priests, in all Elder Scroll games their are pious and godly priests

Im playing Oblivion at the moment and their are plenty like the Knights of Nine priests

The Church of Aidios from the Trails series, but going by the OP's avatar he probably already knows that. The Church of Aidios are overall good guys, holding society together, educating kids, spreading technology, etc. The only "bad priest" thus far was found out and excommunicated long before the story began. There is another member of the Church who is a bloody traitor and is a leader in the main villain faction, but the Church doesn't know that yet.

The only remotely "corrupt" things about it are 1. they go around confiscating magical artifacts (nobody questions it, though) and they're probably hoarding a superweapon that wiped out a kingdom overnight (they didn't use it on said kingdom, though), and 2. they have a cadre of assassins called the Gralsritter, but so far we've only seen them kill evil supervillains.

Reinhardt

Arcane
butthurt potato is butthurt. so much for hope of western civilization.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom