Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Unwanted

You

Unwanted
QnO8lIV.png

spekkio

Arcane
Tomb Raider 1 (PC) + Tomb1Main

This game is still gorg, after all these years...

1CD4jGI.jpg

lJw3wQc.jpg

K18tA3O.jpg

Ow7GoUr.jpg

xVsw67k.jpg

zrZyqLT.jpg

^evil alt

1uY5Bf6.jpg

^ never too late for an abortion

0yPGYwK.jpg

So long, suckers!

:dance:

T1M registers all secrets in final level properly:

TGp1lws.jpg

But totally fails when registering all of them in the final screen:

s3jc9k6.jpg

:roll:

:balanced: I guess...

Verdict:

Pros:
  • absolutely fucking everything
Cons:
  • absolutely fucking nothing
:obviously:

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tomb Raider 1
Verdict:

Pros:
  • absolutely fucking everything
Cons:
  • absolutely fucking nothing

Preach it brother.

TR1 is the most underrated and overlooked oldschool classic of the late 90s, considering what a massive hit it was back in the day, and how many sequels it spawned (none of which quite managed to capture the original's magic, but oh well). Beyond its niche it's barely talked about anymore. There is a pretty active Tomb Raider level editor community that keeps shitting out new levels at a regular basis, just like for Doom and Quake and Thief, but while the "boomer shooter" genre has seen a massive resurgence and even Thief is inspiring some spiritual successors (Gloomwood, Filcher) and is seen as a cornerstone of the immersive sim genre, Tomb Raider hasn't had such luck, despite how influential it was.

I guess part of it might be the image of Lara as a 90s sex symbol, which the marketing machine turned her into. This is the strongest memory people associate with the franchise so they might believe that it was always a shallow "sex sells" cashcow. Also, Tomb Raider is still an ongoing series and has become more cinematic ever since Crystal Dynamics put their hands on it. Those two things considered, people can be forgiven for thinking that the series has always been like that.

But in truth, Tomb Raider 1 is one of the most atmospheric games ever made, letting you explore beautifully desolate ruins filled with traps and puzzles. The core gameplay is extremely solid, and while keyboard only tank controls take some getting used to nowadays, it's incredibly responsive and you ALWAYS know exactly how far Lara is going jump when you press the jump button. There's a level of precision in oldschool TR rarely seen nowadays. The storytelling is minimal, with cutscenes serving as a reward after completing a level rather than a constant interruption, and the game lets its environments speak for themselves. The level design is a consistent 10/10, with each level presenting you with interesting puzzle rooms and cool aesthetics.

It's such a good game, and it's about time for the oldschool game dev scene to rediscover this gem and make a spiritual successor.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
ls49mx89nau81.png

Not my screenshot, but... I've recently installed this game (Need for Speed: Underground 2) and man... The handling/controls feels amazing - it's just a pure joy to drive around a city at night even with keyboard - controls and feel of the car in newer NFS'es are TRASH and feels off. The atmosphere is amazing, music, graphics, the way you can modify cars (nowadays almost no one tunes their cars to be colorful and to have huge bodykits...), city feels huge and have this strange liminal space feel. I don't want to be a boomer and say "those were times...", but I can't seem to help it.

fork

It's such a good game, and it's about time for the oldschool game dev scene to rediscover this gem and make a spiritual successor.

Agree with everything you said, except this.

Modern devs are unable to recreate the magic of the classics.
And it's not because of nostalgia, but younger generations are retarded and brainwashed like you and I can't even begin to imagine.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
younger generations are retarded and brainwashed like you and I can't even begin to imagine.
Attention everyone! Boomer is talking! "KIDS NOWADAYS I TELL YOU!" xD

Boomers hated video games back in the day. (muh devil)

I'm not sure I'd associate boomers with old games personally.

Then again, history is whatever the modern day librul fags say it is.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished The End of Dyeus, had to go for a second playthrough because I got stuck on my first. Pretty steep difficulty curve, but damn satisfying. Peak explorefag game.
It has a cool fantasy + scifi mashup setting, and then when you think you've reached the end it suddenly pulls the rug on you and turns into a post-apocalyptic hellhole.

20220321201548-1.jpg

20220321205038-1.jpg

20220321233451-1.jpg

20220321214232-1.jpg
20220513214725-1.jpg

20220513221329-1.jpg

20220513221537-1.jpg

20220513221923-1.jpg

20220513222223-1.jpg

20220513224120-1.jpg

20220514143737-1.jpg

Dr1f7

Scholar
played homm3 for the first time this games badass i love zombiesss
ai made some dumb moves and threw their armies at me for huge losses
0.jpg

this fight was intense tho devils and efreets are motherfuckers
1.jpg

last fight!
3.jpg

giphy.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom