Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your test site sucks

Do you zoom in when reading the Codex?

• Yes, I usually or regularly zoom in (increasing the font size) in order to read the Codex.

Votes: 82 26.9%
  • On the odd occasion, I have had to zoom in. Maybe on a particular device.

Votes: 37 12.1%
  • No. Never.

Votes: 148 48.5%
  • Bitch, I zoom out.

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • Oh Comrade of Kings, lament not our sins.

Votes: 17 5.6%

• Total voters

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Also, RPG Codex and that imageboard have literally the same font size.
I had to check to confirm and you're correct. :what:

Turns out black on blue/white is much easier on the eyes than white-on-blue/gray. 4chan doesn't give me eyestrain, this site does at the default zoom level.
Black on white is much harder on the eyes than white on grey. The only thing worse would be 90s Geocities pages that used black on dark blue and other shit.

Absinthe

Arcane
Good luck with that, kid.

Also, RPG Codex and that imageboard have literally the same font size.
I had to check to confirm and you're correct. :what:

Turns out black on blue/white is much easier on the eyes than white-on-blue/gray. 4chan doesn't give me eyestrain, this site does at the default zoom level.
Black on white is much harder on the eyes than white on grey. The only thing worse would be 90s Geocities pages that used black on dark blue and other shit.
Yeah, the major problem is that white is the brightest color there is so it blasts more light into your eyeballs. I'm suspecting there's some color fuckery going on (probably contrast or gamma values), but things like brightness and potentially low refresh rate probably aren't helping. There's a reason why computer command-line consoles have been somewhat bright text on dark backgrounds.

Black on white is much harder on the eyes than white on grey.
This is paper and the kindle default.
Paper doesn't emit light; it only reflects it. And I'm pretty sure Kindles are designed to inflict minimal eye strain so you can keep reading. Your monitor on the other hand might be emitting all the light of a television set, only it's directly in front of your face.

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
Nothin personnel kid heh.

Black on white is much harder on the eyes than white on grey.
This is paper and the kindle default.
Constrast's the main thing. Blue chanboards would be hell to read if they used something like an extremely dark blue and white text for example. Or the other way around in fact. Kindles use more of an off-white rather than some stark pure white for that reason. Come to think of it, a kindle scheme for the new site would be comfy tbh.

shywn

Savant
The current 13px size seems fine to me, but my monitor is running at an output that measures 108 DPI.
If you're running a 4K display at 24/27 inches though, I can imagine the font being too small.

I'm open to a 14px (10,5pt) font size. Running at <96 dpi, can't bother to calculate the exact dpi. 19" and 1280x1024.
Anything more than that does feel off though. Depends on the site I guess. (Anything >=10pt is good for me. Current size is 9,75pt. A wee bit small.)

I made two of my letsplays use a silly large font size to balance the text better with the (comparatively large and frequent) images.

(I do remember what the web was like when you were writing for 800x600 15-inch CRT monitors, thankyouverymuch...)

Might be worth styling the new site's elements' fonts using 'rem' units instead of px.
Would make it easy to override at the root level with one line of CSS to placate both camps.

em, rem, ex, percentages, everything works, but you have to design for that from the ground up.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
upload_2022-5-15_23-11-51.png

The parrot and excited reacts are cut off a bit awkwardly, the rest seem fine though.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'm blind in one eye, have had cataract surgery in the other, and just wear random cheap reader glasses instead of getting a prescription. How the hell does anyone have a problem with the current font size when I don't? Is there a single person who has this issue that is at 1080p or below? If so you are blind as fuck and need to get help.

S.torch

Arbiter
I agree that smaller or compact fonts incentives longer posting.
While too big font size would incentive the type of worthless posts that are common in social media.

Absinthe

Arcane
And being unable to formulate a rational counter-argument to the opinion you disagree with in favor of shitty attempts at put-downs is yet another way to out yourself as an idiot.

Sounds like someone's missing r/atheism.
Rationalism is a disease.

Fite me! Discuss!!!
:shunthenonbeliever:
:planetickets:

I agree that smaller or compact fonts incentives longer posting.
While too big font size would incentive the type of worthless posts that are common in social media.
Yes, and it's probably related to the fact that these people seem to make forum UIs that take their cues from twitter and tout their new Social Media Integration™ features so you can like, share, and like on facebook/twitter/etc. all your favorite forum posts. They basically think forums would be better if they were more like twitter. Cargo cult design!

Radiane

Cipher
Well, there can be no doubt that the crew of admins and mods are working their asses off to support their userbase with the best forum software ever imaginable, so no reason for any negativity

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm blind in one eye, have had cataract surgery in the other, and just wear random cheap reader glasses instead of getting a prescription. How the hell does anyone have a problem with the current font size when I don't? Is there a single person who has this issue that is at 1080p or below? If so you are blind as fuck and need to get help.
https://web.archive.org/web/20021022023205/http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/

Current Codex has the same font size that it did back in 2002. Back then we all used 800x600 or 1024x768 resolutions, so the text looked bigger (I can recall this myself back when I lurked the dex in 2008 and used a CRT). It's just bizarre obstinance to refuse to adjust the text and graphics to be more in line with the current resolution standard (1080) and to make it look more like how people used to see it, as Google itself has noted in all the warning emails they've sent us.

Absinthe

Arcane
https://web.archive.org/web/20021022023205/http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/

Current Codex has the same font size that it did back in 2002. Back then we all used 800x600 or 1024x768 resolutions, so the text looked bigger (I can recall this myself back when I lurked the dex in 2008 and used a CRT). It's just bizarre obstinance to refuse to adjust the text and graphics to be more in line with the current resolution standard (1080) and to make it look more like how people used to see it, as Google itself has noted in all the warning emails they've sent us.
Nope, 1600x1200 was already a thing around 2000, let alone 2002. That's what I used to run. 1280x1024 was also a popular resolution.

Absinthe

Arcane
Because people are thirsty for those search engine hits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom