Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite RPG from each decade?

curds

Magister
Moria
Ultima Underworld
Wizardry 8
KoTC
10s sure we’re a shit decade. Deliverance I guess or Risen
Wiz8, KotC and Risen are all from the 00s.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
80's: Ultima IV
90's: Darklands
00's: Either Arcanum, Morrowind or Knights of the Chalice... I don't know, even the best games from this decade aren't really that great.
10's: A Legionary's Life (definitely a better decade than the 00's).

Ysaye

Arbiter
80s - Wizardry 1
Honorable mentions - Ultima 5, Magic Candle, Wizard's Crown, Pool of Radiance, Ys 1&2

90s - Ultima 7: The Black Gate
Honorable mentions - Realms of Arkania: Star Trail, Ultima Underworld, Might and Magic 4, Might and Magic 6, Lands of Lore, Baldur's Gate, Wizardry 6

00s - Elminage Gothic
Honorable mentions - Wizards and Warriors, Morrowind, Arcanum, Wizardry 8, Baldurs Gate 2, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd

10s - Dark Souls
Honorable mentions - Paper Sorcerer, Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3, Dragon's Dogma, Divinity: Original Sin

20s - Elden Ring
Honorable mentions - Monomyth Demo, Skald Demo, Call of Saregnar Demo...

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
80s: The Bard's Tale 2
90s: Jagged Alliance 2
00s: Gothic 2 + NotR
10s: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
20s: TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children

bionicman

Liturgist
What's the point of these "what's your favorite X?" threads... do you think anyone will read your guys' posts and care about what your favorite games are? I won't...

curds

Magister
What's the point of these "what's your favorite X?" threads... do you think anyone will read your guys' posts and care about what your favorite games are? I won't...
I am interested to judge the tastes of various codexians, personally. Obviously you are much too :obviously: for such simple things.

Ysaye

Arbiter

For me, I do have a quick look and if there is a pack of games with one poster that I rate there but one or two games that I haven't played then it might inspire me to play those. But yes, otherwise a pointless academic activity.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
How else would I know if new users are worthy of my respect?

With threads like this, I can just check their list, see if they put Icewind Dale in it, and update my .txt.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
80s: Pirates!, lol. Seriuosly, didn't play a lot of crpgs from that decade. I suppose Ultima V is the from the 80s.
90s: Jagged Alliance 2, honorable mentions to Darklands, Wizardry 7 and both Fallouts.
00s: Hard to choose, some good games but nothing stands out for me. KotC 1 perhaps?
10s: If Battle Brothers counts it's no contest. Otherwise a hard choice again, AoD? Underrail?
20s: I suppose KotC 2 so far but i didn't play enough to say.

Very honorable mentions to several roguelikes. The problem is: many of the best ones are in constant and long development, hard to put them in one decade.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
What's the point of writing "what's the point"? Do you think we care about your inability to grasp the point of this thread, or of life or of the necessity of making shit every few days? We don't.
:positive:

Ladonna

Arcane
Trying to pick the best for the 80's and 90's is almost impossible. Oh well, first ones that come to mind;

80's: Magic Candle
90's: Deus Ex
00's: Arcanum
10's: Atom RPG
20's: Realms of Antiquity

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Trying to pick the best for the 80's and 90's is almost impossible. Oh well, first ones that come to mind;

80's: Magic Candle
90's: Deus Ex
00's: Arcanum
10's: Atom RPG
20's: Realms of Antiquity

I really like your list. The one I havent played is Atom RPG. Could you go over just a bit about what made it worthy of the 2010's top spot?

Ladonna

Arcane
I really like your list. The one I havent played is Atom RPG. Could you go over just a bit about what made it worthy of the 2010's top spot?

If there was a Fallout 3 from the same pedigree as the first two games, and it was set in the Soviet Union, then it would be ATOM. That is what it is basically. A continuation of the original Fallout franchise in spirit and in much of the execution. Since the two original Fallout games are among my favourites, it was an easy pick among a sea of shit released in the 10's.

Comte_II

Wasteland
Ultima Underworld
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Fallout New Geyvas

SumDrunkGuy

The Oregon Trail
Diablo
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls 2
Elden Ring

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom