Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your test site sucks

Do you zoom in when reading the Codex?

• Yes, I usually or regularly zoom in (increasing the font size) in order to read the Codex.

Votes: 82 26.9%
  • On the odd occasion, I have had to zoom in. Maybe on a particular device.

Votes: 37 12.1%
  • No. Never.

Votes: 148 48.5%
  • Bitch, I zoom out.

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • Oh Comrade of Kings, lament not our sins.

Votes: 17 5.6%

• Total voters

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
For the record, this is a forum I'm 100% happy with. The design is minimalistic, functional, to the point, it doesn't try to ape current design trends (no rounded edges), and the font size is just perfect at 100% resolution. Yet it looks modern enough.

https://www.amigalove.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41

By the way, the owner of this website is a designer, probably that has something to do with it.
Fuck that. Mid-2000s web design is unequivocally better than this modern shit.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Wow. So RPGWatch dies and less than a week later RPGCodex tries to kill itself with this new redesign. This is the beginning of the end.
:betrayed:
Are you sure someone on your 'professional team' didn't just want an excuse to practice some modern webdev so they can 'learn some skills' at the expense of the entire website? :lol:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
h0WNVYz.png

Lol

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's still so damn big, though. It's also way too white and sterile for me. And are all of you half blind or something? I'm nearing my 40s, eyesight have deteriorated a bit, yet, I have no problem at all reading the site. Actually, Codex is one of the few remaining sites that don't have text that cover half the screen just for a few sentences, and it looks good to boot.

How far away is the monitor from you? Mine is at arms' length, so around 1m. 24", 1080p. Trying to read the codex at 100% magnification from that distance is like trying to read a newspaper or a magazine holding it in your fully extended arms. The effective font size is similar, and just way too small. I don't see how that's a good thing?

Pick up any book and put it next to your monitor that displays the codex at 100% zoom. The absolute size of the letters will be more or less the same, and actually there are lots of books that have much larger letters than that (which I prefer, btw). You can't seriously say that reading a book from a meter is the optimal reading experience? You'd hold a book much closer than that, wouldn't you?

The reason why 16px is considered the *minimum* these days is because that's what most people find comfortable reading on current screens in current browsers. Yes, some people can read much smaller text, but a website shouldn't be just for those people in the minority. I don't doubt it that you find reading small text okay, but a website shouldn't be just for people with exceptional eyesight (because that's probably what you have, so consider yourself lucky, while it lasts).

Your sight will deteriorate as you get older, sooner or later, that's a fact of life for 99% of people.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Wow. So RPGWatch dies and less than a week later RPGCodex tries to kill itself with this new redesign. This is the beginning of the end.
:betrayed:
Are you sure someone on your 'professional team' didn't just want an excuse to practice some modern webdev so they can 'learn some skills' at the expense of the entire website? :lol:
The new design is good. Stop making fun of it!

Stokowski

Arcane
An anecdote from the old(er) resolution wars...

I remember arguments when some site (maybe ENWorld or someone like that) decided to change their site's base resolution layout from 800x600 to 1024x800 or whatever. When people complained about the upcoming change the response was that "87% of our users use 1024 already", and this was proclaimed as if a definitive point in favour of the change -- as if such matters are a matter of "winning" by scoring more than 50% (a.k.a. the democratic or examination fallacy) -- rather than revealing that 13% of current users would be unable to use the site as intended. In days of yore, before management employed wokesters to destroy their market share, deliberately alienating 13% of your existing customer base was the kind of dumbassery that got you fired.

And now, back to our scheduled
crispy.gif

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Current codex is very hard to read/use without zoom on my 27" UHD monitor. It's not just about the text as everything is tiny including icons/buttons. At 130% zoom everything is fine. Is it possible to offer scaling options in the new forum version? That way, everyone should find something suitable to his taste.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I can't read shit on my Phillips 499P9H 49-inch SuperWide Curved Monitor which cost over 1000$ guys this is an outrage
I demand the Codex be designed with people like me in mind so it absolutely HAS to look like the GUI equivalent of this:
fisher_price_pc_type_toys_1516632561_1cdf088a0

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I can't read shit on my Phillips 499P9H 49-inch SuperWide Curved Monitor which cost over 1000$ guys this is an outrage
I demand the Codex be designed with people like me in mind so it absolutely HAS to look like the GUI equivalent of this:
fisher_price_pc_type_toys_1516632561_1cdf088a0
that's what i use to post on codex

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Jesus Christ you dumb goombas, it is not an issue of "FONT SIZE". Fixed width Codex scales perfectly fine with zoom. Zoom in if you have a big screen. Fixed.

nuCodex looks like donkey shit, no matter how you scale it. NO FIX.

CiYJFww.png

jeOVOs3.png

6 forums v.s. 4 forums at the same resolution. THAT is the issue. And the obnoxious scrolling header and avatar and other assorted faggotry. Grey text on grey background on side panel. And so forth.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't like the colors. I also don't like how harder you made it to browse hosted RPG forums; instead of them being all displayed in a easy place:
This
Vs

It's also harder to discern the difference between pinned threads and regular threads. In example:
^nice little line that divides the threads up with pinned threads up above while having different color to them

^this all looks the same on a cursory glance.

Lastly, has anyone seen if you can modify the colors on test site? If it's possible to modify it to pink or purple I wouldn't mind busting out my shitty CSS skillz at trying.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lastly, has anyone seen if you can modify the colors on test site? If it's possible to modify it to pink or purple I wouldn't mind busting out my shitty CSS skillz at trying.

Should be pretty easy with a greasemonkey/tampermonkey script.

Humbaba

Arcane
I still think an alternate kindle sort of colour scheme would be pretty nice. It's the codex after all, it would be on brand if it looked a bit like parchment.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still think an alternate kindle sort of colour scheme would be pretty nice. It's the codex after all, it would be on brand if it looked a bit like parchment.

I imagine this is the sort of thing that will get tweaked and expanded upon after the main features are sorted.

Gerrard

Arcane
What is up with modern web design and wasting screen space? This isn't the only place where I notice it. The new Ubisoft forums are so bad they probably did it on purpose, to reduce number of user complaints, since people don't want to use them.

K4ncNUz.png

That floating menu bar is 100% mobile shit, you know that on PC you can just press Home to go to the top of the page, right?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Before you all harp on too much, be aware that DU is jumping between 2 basically incompatible versions, and so he basically has to redevelop the entire style.
Give him some time.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's still so damn big, though. It's also way too white and sterile for me. And are all of you half blind or something? I'm nearing my 40s, eyesight have deteriorated a bit, yet, I have no problem at all reading the site. Actually, Codex is one of the few remaining sites that don't have text that cover half the screen just for a few sentences, and it looks good to boot.

How far away is the monitor from you? Mine is at arms' length, so around 1m. 24", 1080p. Trying to read the codex at 100% magnification from that distance is like trying to read a newspaper or a magazine holding it in your fully extended arms. The effective font size is similar, and just way too small. I don't see how that's a good thing?

Pick up any book and put it next to your monitor that displays the codex at 100% zoom. The absolute size of the letters will be more or less the same, and actually there are lots of books that have much larger letters than that (which I prefer, btw). You can't seriously say that reading a book from a meter is the optimal reading experience? You'd hold a book much closer than that, wouldn't you?

The reason why 16px is considered the *minimum* these days is because that's what most people find comfortable reading on current screens in current browsers. Yes, some people can read much smaller text, but a website shouldn't be just for those people in the minority. I don't doubt it that you find reading small text okay, but a website shouldn't be just for people with exceptional eyesight (because that's probably what you have, so consider yourself lucky, while it lasts).

Your sight will deteriorate as you get older, sooner or later, that's a fact of life for 99% of people.

I'm 40 and I can read the codex just fine without magnification. I am a bit surprised my eyeballs haven't been fried with how much I stare at computer screens. Never needed glasses or anything.

I do enjoy the blue background of the codex because it's easier on the eyes.

I don't think the font size needs changing because there is a magnification option if needed. I think keeping the current codex layout as much as possible would be a good thing.

Maybe a font size change will be needed if 4k monitors stop being a meme one day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom