Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People on high level positions who are healthy, not conscripted into war or their entire family got drone striked, do not leave their high paying jobs on high profile projects. They just don't. UNLESS said project is in serious trouble and stress is not worth any money

That's d truth. Everything else is just cope

Kate's a bit of a special case in that she comes from an affluent family (her father is this fellow), so she has the freedom to nope out of an unsuitable work environment at any time of her choosing. "'Never work in this industry again'? Great, wasn't planning to."

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You almost never hear from him, but Jeff Husges has got to be the most loyal fellow / risk-avoider of them all. Interplay and Black Isle vet, IIRC.

Flou

Arbiter
Her unplanned departure rule out the option that Dollerhyde left due to a publishing deadline (she is still reprsented by HLMA). now i more inclined to the hypothesis that her departure is due to the unstably of the production of avowed. it's all so important to mention that while she was assgined as lead narrative designer for avowed she also worked with sawyer on pentiment.

Or she just wasn't ready for such a role and failed at it, got butthurt and decided to leave.

Flou

Arbiter
Someone poked Avellone and he's claiming that Charles Staples left too. :M

Remember when ChrisAvellone stated there were a lot of high-level departures on Avowed? Only for one person to say nuh-uh without receipts and everyone believed that over the LinkedIn pages? Well, the narrative lead just left the studio.
Lead Level Designer for #Fallout New Vegas just resigned, too. Hope everything is okay. :(

Staples was the Design Director on The Outer Worlds. Not sure if that was a massive design hit here. Though at least the Systems Design on Armored Warfare was quite good. Hard to comment on the area design on Fallout: New Vegas when the game was made in such rush mode. At least it didn't completely suck ass.

Briar Diem

Arcane
Developer
Staples was the design director on Avowed as well. Flou hit the nail on the head about the other (likely).

KVVRR

Learned
Carrie Patel and Megan Starks already work as Lead Narrative Designers. Promoting someone else for the job would create a void into some other project.

Patel's Avowed's project director, not narrative lead. Boyarsky's the creative lead on The Outer Worlds 2. Grounded has Michael Chu (Michael Who?) and Sawyer's keeping to himself on Sediment. Seems pretty bad to have to go through all the effort to find and hire someone outside the company after years of development (hence why they gave it to Dollarhyde when Soulban jumped ship). As Sawyer himself put it:

Sawyer said:
i mean that kinda shit happens. like once the game is "done" when it comes to Golden path(aka main storyline), the narrative director moves on, forced or other wise.
This is not true in any RPG I've ever worked on or seen the development of.

Sawyer said:
I've worked on one game that had a 6 month turnaround following the removal of two creative leads (Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows). It only shipped because the game's features and content were gutted and Midway death marched the team (then shut the studio down immediately after).
Michael Chu was the guy in charge for the Overwatch """"story"""" for the first ~3 years of the game's lifespan. The guy was hated because he actively seemed to release more "lore" (just small tips like "did you know X is Y's favorite food?") on twitter than in the actual game/shorts and what little did he write really wasn't anything special/he constantly retconned stuff.
That Obsidian went ahead and hired some blizzard schmuck with 0 actual experience writing stuff and put him in charge of one of their projects (even if it's one that requires as little as Grounded) should tell you everything about the current state of the company.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Michael Chu was the guy in charge for the Overwatch """"story"""" for the first ~3 years of the game's lifespan. The guy was hated because he actively seemed to release more "lore" (just small tips like "did you know X is Y's favorite food?") on twitter than in the actual game/shorts and what little did he write really wasn't anything special/he constantly retconned stuff.
That Obsidian went ahead and hired some blizzard schmuck with 0 actual experience writing stuff and put him in charge of one of their projects (even if it's one that requires as little as Grounded) should tell you everything about the current state of the company.
Michael Chu was one of the writers on KotOR 2, my dude.

Flou

Arbiter

Chu is friends with some of the team that was/is working on Grounded. They did not have a writer available at that time, so they used Chu who was between jobs to write whatever small amounts of writing they actually needed at that point. Not sure if he is still writing for the project.

KVVRR

Learned
Michael Chu was one of the writers on KotOR 2, my dude.

writing star wars fanfiction does not make him a writer
it just makes him human garbage

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The official Star Wars game is not fanfiction, no matter how you look at it. The real question is the level of involvement.
Michael Chu (Worlds of Warcraft) was responsible for much of Telos and the lightsaber quest plus some Nar Shaddaa quests, along with Mandalore and Bao-Dur.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/obsidian-general-discussion-thread.84849/page-324#post-6829625

Definitely not the best material in the game, but still, he's an Obsidian veteran.

Codex Year of the Donut
The official Star Wars game is not fanfiction, no matter how you look at it. The real question is the level of involvement.
KOTOR games are 98% fan fiction after the mouse bought the franchise fyi
they're also some of the only good material to ever exist in the star wars franchise, especially if you're looking for post-original trilogy material

KVVRR

Learned
In all seriousness I only knew him from his involvement on Overwatch, which was and still is handled horribly lore and storywise. I never cared for star wars nor kotor so I wasn't aware of his involvement in that game. But like I said, I doubt it was anything stand out. The guy's just not that good.

Flou

Arbiter

KVVRR

Learned
In all seriousness I only knew him from his involvement on Overwatch, which was and still is handled horribly lore and storywise. I never cared for star wars nor kotor so I wasn't aware of his involvement in that game. But like I said, I doubt it was anything stand out. The guy's just not that good.

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,43258/

Educate yourself :)
almost everything in that list is a blizzard product, thanks for proving me right

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Who gives a fuck about anything Sawyer says. This guy literally talks about coded game mechanics, essentially 1's and 0's, like he's actually talking about processes for refining metal, hammering it out, cooling and forging it, and fitting it properly for war. I mean Jesus fuck. It's a video game. It's not actually material.

How fucking deluded can you be? He can't even get good game mechanics right, so who gives a shit.

Kate Dollarhyde on the other hand...

Does she have an onlyfans yet?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Who gives a fuck about anything Sawyer says. This guy literally talks about coded game mechanics, essentially 1's and 0's, like he's actually talking about processes for refining metal, hammering it out, cooling and forging it, and fitting it properly for war. I mean Jesus fuck. It's a video game. It's not actually material.

How fucking deluded can you be? He can't even get good game mechanics right, so who gives a shit.

She took nude photos of her friend for artistic purposes. None of herself though (she's asexual y'know).

Codex Year of the Donut

She took nude photos of her friend for artistic purposes. None of herself though (she's asexual y'know).
Haha wouldn't it be funny if you get naked and I take pictures of you? Totally non-sexual because I'm asexual haha
...unless?

ferratilis

Magister
He's doing a talk about armor on his Twitch channel, will be uploaded to yt later.
https://www.twitch.tv/jesawyer

Lol at that photo from his youth
image.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom