Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your test site sucks

Do you zoom in when reading the Codex?

• Yes, I usually or regularly zoom in (increasing the font size) in order to read the Codex.

Votes: 82 26.9%
  • On the odd occasion, I have had to zoom in. Maybe on a particular device.

Votes: 37 12.1%
  • No. Never.

Votes: 148 48.5%
  • Bitch, I zoom out.

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • Oh Comrade of Kings, lament not our sins.

Votes: 17 5.6%

• Total voters

Lokiamis

Learned
The font size is incredibly small on high resolution monitors. Thankfully every single browser in the world has site-specific zoom settings to allow users to adjust it to their liking!

4q4kXdl.png

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Before you all harp on too much, be aware that DU is jumping between 2 basically incompatible versions, and so he basically has to redevelop the entire style.
Give him some time.

Yeah it's going to take some time to sort all these issues. IIRC DU has always said the plan was to get it shifted over to XF2 with only the most basic features (ratings etc) ported and then work on the rest later.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Everything is shit nowadays and the codex is trying to keep up with the times.

Seriously tho, abort that shit. It's completely awful. Leave this crap the way it is. If it isn't broken don't fix it.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Everything is shit nowadays and the codex is trying to keep up with the times.

Seriously tho, abort that shit. It's completely awful. Leave this crap the way it is. If it isn't broken don't fix it.
I bet when they see donations drying up they'll change their minds (in case it gets implemented). Even Leddit allowed (and still do) access to the old design.

shywn

Savant
Actually, I think the new one should default to 16px, as is the recommended *minimum* standard. The AmigaLove website I linked above uses 1.6em, which translates to 16px, and is just perfect.

...no, 1.6em means 1.6 times the parent element's explicitly set font size, and in the case no such parent element exists, 1.6 times the browser's default font size. The browser's default font size is usually 16px (12pt).

If your site is 16px, it's not because of the em size.

Not sure why your site advocates a "minimum" of 16px; I personally consider that to be a wee bit large. Never needed any glasses, good enough eyesight, ageing poor-quality monitor positioned a metre away.
The site loses credibility for not having any goddamn margins though. That's a big faux pas for a supposed typography site.

The last and only web site I made was in the GeoCities days but I sure know a lot of things about web design...

Anyway, thanks to this thread, I realised I accidentally had a microsoft font on my system: Tahoma. Deleted it, and now you're all rendering in Helvetica.

I'm 40 and I can read the codex just fine without magnification. I am a bit surprised my eyeballs haven't been fried with how much I stare at computer screens. Never needed glasses or anything.

16001.jpg

The Decline

Arcane
Jesus Christ you dumb goombas, it is not an issue of "FONT SIZE". Fixed width Codex scales perfectly fine with zoom. Zoom in if you have a big screen. Fixed.

nuCodex looks like donkey shit, no matter how you scale it. NO FIX.

CiYJFww.png

jeOVOs3.png

6 forums v.s. 4 forums at the same resolution. THAT is the issue. And the obnoxious scrolling header and avatar and other assorted faggotry. Grey text on grey background on side panel. And so forth.

The comparison shots say it all, nuDex has an incredible amount of wasted space and looks incomplete. The font size is fine on either IMO, but my god that's a huge amount of blank space between elements.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the "fluid" layout is better than the "fixed" layout. (they are the buttons at the bottom left of the webpage.) They both have wasted space, but the fluid wastes less space.

The nu-codex functions better on my mobile phone, but the PC/desktop website is worse looking, and the PC/desktop site is what most people care about.

Others have mentioned the space usage of the nu-codex, and it definitely needs improvement, but I think it can be tweaked as needed. It definitely could be worse and I hope it is improved before the nu-codex goes live.

The shoutbox looks ok to me. I think time stamps should be turned off though, and also turn off button ratings for shouts. There are too many other things to work on with the nu-codex to worry about incorporating new features into the shoutbox. Add the button ratings or other things back later if you decide its worthwhile.

I don't like the font either.

Absinthe

Arcane
Layout is currently being improved. Still not quite where it ought to be, but already doing much better than it was yesterday. Font size on test site is now 13px (same as the current Codex, unless you're using custom stylesheets/userscripts/etc), fyi.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you please not make it looks like some random modern forum with those mobile blocky design and space wasting?

It looks awful. I like the squareish feel we have today.

Is there any critical reason we are upgrading to XFR2? Just for official support or something?

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Is there any critical reason we are upgrading to XFR2? Just for official support or something?
Yeah I don't get it. If the only reason for change is Goolag crying about font size, why not make the font bigger in the current forum?

Absinthe

Arcane
Correct. According to Saint Proverbius the problem is that they are no longer supporting regular XenForo so if you want security patches, you need to upgrade to XenForo2 (or make your own patch, I suppose).

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Correct. According to Saint Proverbius the problem is that they are no longer supporting regular XenForo so if you want security patches, you need to upgrade to XenForo2 (or make your own patch, I suppose).
I haven't seen a single good looking XF2 site. The Codex is doomed :negative:

Absinthe

Arcane
Effort is being put into fixing up the UI right now and if the staff doesn't do it, someone will probably make a relevant userscript (although that only helps the people who both know of this userscript and install userscripts) or stylesheet (and that also requires a certain addon, unless it gets added as a codex official layout option).

At any rate, as I said, it's already looking much better than it was yesterday, even if the UI overhaul is nowhere near finished.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
rating_salute.gif
to all the members who leave over the redesign. I will miss you but there was nothing we could do to stop it.

No one will quit over it. There will be a lot of jawing and empty threats and maybe some leaving "forever" (for 2 weeks) and then they'll get used to it.

Most of the bitching is about things that can easily be fixed with scripts if DU doesn't have time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom