Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

JDR13

Arcane
If all you're looking for is window dressing, we could probably claim 90% of games are "woke".

Sure, but that was explicitly my point in regards to Arkane. They pay just enough lip service to the woke mob to fly under the radar while subverting those concepts when you pay even a modicum of attention. Again, I can't speak for their entire catalogue, but the Dishonored series, Prey and possibly Deathloop (based purely on marketing materials) are, by the standards of modern day AAA devs, shockingly based.

They're really not, but ok.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The popularity of Elden Ring could actually push Arkane towards making better games in the future. Their games are well made but also way too easy and straightforward.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If all you're looking for is window dressing, we could probably claim 90% of games are "woke".

Sure, but that was explicitly my point in regards to Arkane. They pay just enough lip service to the woke mob to fly under the radar while subverting those concepts when you pay even a modicum of attention. Again, I can't speak for their entire catalogue, but the Dishonored series, Prey and possibly Deathloop (based purely on marketing materials) are, by the standards of modern day AAA devs, shockingly based.

They're really not, but ok.
You guys are getting confused about the differences between woke (explicitly stated political agenda within the game itself) and pozzed (the deliberate inclusion of various minorities). Arkane's been pozzed since Dishonored 2 and they've become more and more so over time.

toughasnails

There was p much only the one pandering thing I can remember from Dishonored 2 and that's naming that doctor character Alexandria Hypatia but even that irked me more for being so conspicuous and out of universe, as far as the character herself she was depicted as troubled and definitely not as some feminist Mary Sue. It felt almost like her name was requested by someone from the outside lol.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Arkane's been pozzed since Dishonored 2 and they've become more and more so over time.

I agree, but I think you meant since Death of the Outsider.
D2 is when the poz first started seeping in via hiring decisions

Haha why would anyone hire Cara Ellison for anything

Better keep her on a tight leash

The dialogue was lousy and I wasn't fond of how they intentionally made the in media res beginning confusing for the sake of their plot twist. I was pretty surprised when I found out that not only is the lead writer a conformist (there aren't even any women in this game [I'm sure she'd justify it by citing budget] and none of the men have anything approaching what one would call a progressive attitude), Arkane was so impressed with her work on this title that they decided they also wanted her on board to sabotage Dishonored 2 alongside Ellison.

It was just feminism-focused poz as opposed to the race-focused. The feminists won and all mainstream games are now made with feminist criticism in mind so it's easy to forget that used to be a big deal. :M

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Better things like writing a six paragraph essay on what you don't like about Arkane and sounding like a butthurt faggot the entire time?
Yeah, because my WPM is so fucking HIGH that it only took me about 3 minutes. It's a good use of my time, I'd say.
Dishonored 2 is game about a clash between members of the monarchy, how women can't run a functional society, how only men can make moral choices, how gays have no beliefs and just go with whoever they heard from last and how technological advancement comes with an inherent moral cost.
LOL, does anyone actually believe this? You've got to be out of your mind. Some motherfuckers really take "death of the author" too seriously. The only ones I can see are the first and last ones, which are of course the most milquetoast.
when you pay even a modicum of attention.
Read: When you project your own beliefs and headcanon onto a story that literally had Anita Sarkeesian as an advisor.

And before someone accuses me of being some /pol/fag who's just mad about women and gays or whatever, I'll remind you that my original "butthurt six paragraph essay" was almost entirely about gameplay or other elements not related to "wokeness".

Silverfish

Arbiter
LOL, does anyone actually believe this? You've got to be out of your mind. Some motherfuckers really take "death of the author" too seriously. The only ones I can see are the first and last ones, which are of course the most milquetoast.

You should try paying attention to the story sometime. It's pretty good TBH.

Read: When you project your own beliefs and headcanon onto a story that literally had Anita Sarkeesian as an advisor.

Based Anita.

601.gif

Tom Selleck

Arcane
I've always found her mouth in that gif so bizarrely transfixing. Like who eats popcorn like that? What are you doing with your tongue?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've always found her mouth in that gif so bizarrely transfixing. Like who eats popcorn like that? What are you doing with your tongue?

She is part of the reptile race. Just look at that frog like tongue catching the popcorn trying to escape.

toughasnails

possibly Deathloop (based purely on marketing materials)
You are right btw, funnily enough. Deathloop is conservative af. The island is basically hedonists pursuing free play of their desires free of shackles of the past, without consequences, responsibility, morality, guilt... It's like utopia for any 60s French philosopher or American baby boomer. The male hero ends up fighting to drag them back into time and reestablish the rule of natural law while a seductive, highly sexual female is trying to stop him.
I'm not kidding or exaggerating, the game is p much that. Americans, "left" or "right", are however blessedly incapable of seeing past the surface of anything so everyone just fixated on the protagonists' race.

Silverfish

Arbiter
You are right btw, funnily enough. Deathloop is conservative af. The island is basically hedonists pursuing free play of their desires free of shackles of the past, without consequences, responsibility, morality, guilt... It's like utopia for any 60s French philosopher or American baby boomer. The male hero ends up fighting to drag them back into time and reestablish the rule of natural law while a seductive, highly sexual female is trying to stop him.
I'm not kidding or exaggerating, the game is p much that. Americans, "left" or "right", are however blessedly incapable of seeing past the surface of anything so everyone just fixated on the protagonists' race.

What fascinated me about Deathloop's marketing was that it really hit you over the head with its male lead wanting to break the cycle of childish, violent fantasy and return to normality and its female lead desperately rejecting the same. Extremely based and shockingly honest.

dalwick

Barely Literate
it's the thought that counts
Associating him with bad games like Fallen Order and Prey won't do him any favors!
I can partially agree with Fallen Order, but why do you think Prey is a bad game?
Backtracking: the game with 2 enemies that respawn over and over.
I can see why it's annoying but this is so small aspect of the game so I can't take this as a reason for game being bad in general.

Associating him with bad games like Fallen Order and Prey won't do him any favors!
I can partially agree with Fallen Order, but why do you think Prey is a bad game?
Off the top of my head I can think of 8 distinct enemy types and I’m probably forgetting some, but encounter design could have used a bit more variety. Backtracking is fine until the military operators spawn, then it does indeed become very tedious.

Sentinel

Arcane
I can see why it's annoying but this is so small aspect of the game so I can't take this as a reason for game being bad in general.
Well nothing else appealed to me. The soundtrack was bad with 0 memorable songs just like every western game in the past 20 years, the graphics were ok, and the story wasn't grabbing me. At that point I kind of just stopped playing it until I eventually uninstalled it months later realizing I was never gonna finish it.

Momock

Augur
Okay guys, explain to me how quicksaves don't ruin the concept of mimics (it ruins everything, but we'll stick to the mimics for now).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Okay guys, explain to me how quicksaves don't ruin the concept of mimics (it ruins everything, but we'll stick to the mimics for now).
Problem exists between chair and keyboard. If you believe quicksaves would remove tension, don't use them. The game autosaves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom