Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your test site sucks

Do you zoom in when reading the Codex?

• Yes, I usually or regularly zoom in (increasing the font size) in order to read the Codex.

Votes: 82 26.9%
  • On the odd occasion, I have had to zoom in. Maybe on a particular device.

Votes: 37 12.1%
  • No. Never.

Votes: 148 48.5%
  • Bitch, I zoom out.

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • Oh Comrade of Kings, lament not our sins.

Votes: 17 5.6%

• Total voters

Duraframe300

Arcane
Before you all harp on too much, be aware that DU is jumping between 2 basically incompatible versions, and so he basically has to redevelop the entire style.
Give him some time.
LOL no

Those rounded corners and a lot of other shit that looks ugly aren't enforced. I've already posted examples of forums that updated Xenforo also:

Just to give examples here's a few I found by a few seconds of searching.

https://localsearchforum.com/
https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/

Somehow these sites didn't have to go full web 3.0 design like rpgcodex did.

Also what is it with the avatars moving when scrolling down threads?
Very much this. Who the fuck comes up with this shit.

They also don't feature this, so worst case this was done on purpose by DU.

Absinthe

Arcane
Notice that the first one has a "design adapted by" and the second has "design by" at the bottom of their pages. They modded the UI until it stopped looking like complete shit. You're welcome to try to find a xenforo style/theme that helps, but I think in the end this is going to be a lot of manual fixing.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Notice that the first one has a "design adapted by" and the second has "design by" at the bottom of their pages. They modded the UI until it stopped looking like complete shit. You're welcome to try to find a style that helps, but I think in the end this is going to be a lot of manual fixing.

If it's God's will, then so be it.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Before you all harp on too much, be aware that DU is jumping between 2 basically incompatible versions, and so he basically has to redevelop the entire style.
Give him some time.
LOL no

Those rounded corners and a lot of other shit that looks ugly aren't enforced. I've already posted examples of forums that updated Xenforo also:

I mostly said that because I'm sure there's a lot more wrong with the new site than just the style,
and if everyone is hyper-focussed on the style, all those things are going to be missed, and the dex will be even bitchier than usual.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fans of tiny fonts will love this. It's a most prestigious website, but I must view it at 150% zoom otherwise I feel physical pain in my eyes from trying to focus. Very 90s design!

https://hol.abime.net/

I'm now convinced that we need a fundraiser to buy glasses for all the codexers who can't see shit

I have glasses already :) 10 or 20 years ago I would've found that tiny text easier to read (without glasses), but I never liked too small text to begin with, even when I was 20 and I could read it without much trouble.

Like I said, it's only a matter of time you'll need to use your browser's zoom functionality. Like my wife, she used to have 20/20 vision in all her life, now she's unable to read the fine print on packaging without glasses... It pisses her off, but that's life for you. Usually the decline happens quite abruptly, it's quite surprising, really; a month ago you could read everything with ease, now you can't anymore.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Fans of tiny fonts will love this. It's a most prestigious website, but I must view it at 150% zoom otherwise I feel physical pain in my eyes from trying to focus. Very 90s design!

https://hol.abime.net/

I'm now convinced that we need a fundraiser to buy glasses for all the codexers who can't see shit

I have glasses already :) 10 or 20 years ago I would've found that tiny text easier to read (without glasses), but I never liked too small text to begin with, even when I was 20 and I could read it without much trouble.

Like I said, it's only a matter of time you'll need to use your browser's zoom functionality. Like my wife, she used to have 20/20 vision in all her life, now she's unable to read the fine print on packaging without glasses... It pisses her off, but that's life for you.
I have bad astigmatism and my implant was set for long distance vision so I'm actually using progressively weaker reading glasses as time goes on. I was using +2.0 7 years ago and I'm down to +1.50 now. If I had the opposite problem I'd just get stronger reading glasses. Time to update your prescription grandpa!

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Time to update your prescription grandpa!

I'm -1.00 and it hasn't changed over the last 10 years. But focusing on too small text still causes eyestrain.

Anyway, the font size "issue" is largely a moot point, I actually don't care much about the default font size, everybody can adjust it to their liking using the zoom function. Just make the new design a fluid layout, so it can better adapt better to font size changes (that's a prerequisite for mobile anyway).

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This is not the first forum update where the whole thing has to be redesigned. The first version close to the default always looks like shit, but it is not its final form.

Just give it time. Mods hate the Xenforo look just as much.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

Gastrick

Cipher
The funny thing is, is that the current codex site looks better on mobile than on PC, and better than any "mobile friendly" website. So making it look more mobile-like has the opposite effect.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The new site really is terrible, both on mobile and PC. There's so much wrong about it that it's better just to scrap it. The current one is fine.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The current one is fine.

XF1 is end of life. So no it isn't fine.

Generally not a good idea to run end of life webapps that don't get security updates, especially with all the butthurt individuals we have out for blood.

yup, someone getting his hand on all user email addresses is probably not something most of us would like, even if its burner accounts

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I still can't wrap my head around how bad the new look is. The only thing that gives me strength is the hope that everything might be in such a "pre-pre-pre-alpha" state that the final result won't remind this mess in any way, shape, or form.

What hurts me the most are the omnipresent rounded edges. Why. Why would you do this to us, DU? Around posts, around reactions, around profiles, around profile stats, around profile pictures, around menus, around numbers. There are rounded edges fucking everywhere. God, I love rectangles so much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom