Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's worse, being an alcoholic or spending $1000 for half-full bottles of liquors to look like a trendy hipster alcoholic?

Turning into Granny Sawyer as seen previously due to the research rusty posted above.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

As more game dev studios are deciding to be hardasses about forcing people back into physical offices, it's not at all surprising that devs - especially experienced ones - are saying, "Nah I'm good," and just leaving for more flexible studios.

I don't know how much pain the leadership teams need to endure before they understand that trading a solid, experienced dev working remotely for *them not being there* is going to be catastrophically bad.

If you restrict your hiring pool to only people who are willing to work on site - especially in places with a high cost of living - whew it is going to be rough.

It's a rare case where the people ostensibly in charge have very little leverage over what the individual employees do (and that's good).

I think it's cool when dumb random people see this thread and assume that I am one of the remote workers. No, I work in office every day and prefer it. I am describing the reality of what is happening at companies/teams all over (at least) the US and Europe.

Many companies are using no carrot and a vague stick to get devs to work in-office and it is not working for a lot of people, who are then leaving for studios with more flexibility.

As much as I sympathize with the desire to not have to go to a building to work, there has been a tangible decrease in productivity across the board in the game industry since 2020. It probably should be determined on a case by case basis, but if people want to be slackers, fuck 'em.

Additionally, Sawyer once again takes another misery break.

Taking another break from twitter and insty. No big drama, just a general accumulation of misanthropy and feeling drained after coming on here while also coming on here reflexively for no reason. Mutuals, feel free to text/DM/WhatsApp/whatever. See you in a while.

KVVRR

Learned
Doesn't Obsidian look for people living within the same area as their offices when hiring though?

Codex Year of the Donut
ofc working from home reduces productivity, you can't yell and berate people who aren't physically next to you for not doing/being shit at their job
next people will tell you that shorter work weeks akshually increase productivity

Codex Year of the Donut
Modern workers be like "wow I bet Michaelangelo created his masterpieces working 40 hours a week"

You're going to die and nobody will remember you a few hours later. You'll have left no mark on this world. But hey, at least you didn't work hard... So, congrats.

Pillows of shiternity is a product of a 40 hour work week, PST is a product of sleeping in your office. But at least they didn't work so hard!

S.torch

Arbiter
Michelangelo loved what he did. Most people working in big corporations don't, and a lot of them actively hate the fanbase. Besides, the way people did their work pre-industrial revolution is completely different from what is the norm today. So the comparison is shady.

Codex Year of the Donut
Modern workers be like "wow I bet Michaelangelo created his masterpieces working 40 hours a week"
Don't tell me you believe everyone can become a genius if you put enough hours into your subject of interest.
40 hours a week is the bare minimum for being dogshit at something. Some people insist on believing otherwise because they're afraid of reality.

KVVRR

Learned
I don't think anybody prefers non-diegetic interfaces if given the option. It's why the very few games that do do them get praised for (alongside it's other qualities) that feature.

Codex Year of the Donut
diegetic interfaces for non-sci fi games are also much harder to design

if you made a list of games with them, the list of ones that aren't sci-fi would probably be way shorter

biggest problem with VO is that there's never a way to speed it up
I regularly listen to podcasts and various YT videos at 1.25x speed

I do the same. The only thing worse than slow ass youtubers and slow VO is metal gear solid 3 where not only are the cutscenes extremely long, but that the second you press skip, you have to commit to skipping the entire cutscene rather than a few phrases forward because the VO disappears entirely until gameplay starts.

rojay

Scholar
ofc working from home reduces productivity, you can't yell and berate people who aren't physically next to you for not doing/being shit at their job
next people will tell you that shorter work weeks akshually increase productivity
Not everybody has a job that allows them to shitpost 24/7, Rusty. You're just lucky that way, I guess?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's worse, being an alcoholic or spending $1000 for half-full bottles of liquors to look like a trendy hipster alcoholic?

He's from Wisconsin. That's something you'll see in most every Wisconsin home. Most of that liquor is for hosting guests. Booze is cheap here and it's a common gift.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom