Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age 2 was released ten years ago

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Some of the story elements in DA2 were interesting but the game as a whole, is utter shit. The biggest culprits are the extremely repetitive level design, and the magically spawning enemies...

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I kinda like Origins, I wouldn't want to play it but I always thought if you could add more spells and develop the combat a bit more, it could become great. But they were determined to take it another direction, typical in gaming.

Yeah, the best part of the DOS/SNES era was that the PC and Console were separate ecosystems with their own design fundamentals and genres. It was heaven to dip your toe in each, enjoying what was good and unique in each area. The Xbox era totally killed that and PC gaming as a space that was different, and the whole "omg PC sales are high again, PC is saved!!!" narrative of recent years ignores the fact that it only "succeeds" by becoming the dumping grounds for more unified console/PC games that have almost none of the unique characteristics from before the PC space died.

This funnily enough isn't really true at all, and the PC and Console ecosystems probably grew further apart (for a time) during the Xbox era despite that not exactly sounding right. Example: Diablo was also a PSX game, Warcraft 2 came out on the Saturn and PSX, StarCraft came out on the N64, but during the Xbox/PS2 era Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, and World of Warcraft never get console ports. Blizzard, a company that started on consoles, that brought all their previous big PC games to consoles, wouldn't return to consoles until Diablo 3; and Diablo 3 was 13 years after Starcraft 64. They ended up skipping the whole Xbox generation, and almost all of the 360/PS3.

Wizardry, Ultima, Pirates, Sim City games, Eye of the Beholder, Civilization, Dune 2, Maniac Mansion, Might and Magic, King's Bounty, and Lemmings were all computer series and games that got releases on the NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis. You also had stuff like Panzer General, which feels like one of the more PC PC games being inspired by Sega's Super Daisenryaku on the Genesis.

You don't really get a big separate between consoles and PC until the late '90s. Previously all the big PC RPG series came to consoles to some degree, but by the end of the '90s (and going into the 2000s) stuff like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Plamescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, Wizardry 8, Ultima 9, Anachronox, Freedom Force and the Troika games never come to consoles. Kings Bounty is on the Genesis, but no Heroes games (besides an odd badly thought out Kings Bounty remake with the Heroes name) would come out to console. Dune 2, C&C and Red Alert got console releases, but Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 never came to Xbox or PS2; nor did that 2002 third person shooting one Renegade. You don't even really have RTS games coming back to console until the 360/PS3 era. EverQuest was a Sony game, Sony made a network adaptor for the PS2, and they still never brought the game over to the PS2. Most of what I think of as PC games from like 1997 and throughout the PS2 and Xbox era (so like 2000 - 2005) were only on PC.

You could point to FPS games getting bigger on consoles during the PS2 and Xbox era, but they were already coming over during the PSX/Saturn/N64 era; and the N64 was getting games like Doom 64 and Duke Nukem 64. The writing was already on the wall with regard to the FPS one consoles with stuff like the N64 and Alien Resurrection's dual analogue stick controls at the end of the PSX. Given how consoles had mouses going back to the 16-bit era, it almost seems weird Microsoft didn't have that stuff out of the box for the original Xbox and compatible with its games.

Codex Year of the Donut
can't include icky things like numbers, need easily quantifiable 3/5 stars so you can tell whether or not this item is good

can't include icky things like numbers, need easily quantifiable 3/5 stars so you can tell whether or not this item is good

The stars are from Dragon Age 2, it's not something the artist made up. I'm not even sure why someone would bitch about that redesign over what's in the actual game. The person's redesign is giving you all the same information the normal game does, (it seems like it'd functionally work exactly the same way) but has better icons, some font choices with character to them, and more screen real estate is given to show off the character model. The only weird thing is the stats off on the right side of the screen could fill that space they're in more.

somerandomdude

Learned
There's bad, and then there's Dragon Age 2 bad. This game is an abomination.

Humanity deserves Asteroid Apophis because a small subset produced this game.

Camel

Scholar
I think the DA2 thread is the perfect one for this.

Dragon Age Day 2022 Is Dedicated to the [Trannies].​

MgzWfXQ.png

Sarathiour

Cipher
I'm too afraid to try googling those name, tldr of what those people contributed to ?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DA2's UI was made the way it was to reduce the memory footprint (the same thing had to be done to DA:O's console ports). These days I suppose it's just a style thing since consoles now have the same amount of ram as PCs.

I think the DA2 thread is the perfect one for this.

Dragon Age Day 2022 Is Dedicated to the [Trannies].​

MgzWfXQ.png

Seems like the Asari would make this particular grab at publicity more fitting for Mass Effect and some Mass Effect day they probably do.

The funniest thing is they have a Dragon Age Day like there's a great number of people that even give a shit about Dragon Age. Seems pretty presumptuous to give yourself a whole day when there isn't even one title under that banner that's sold over ten million copies. Like I know Star Wars does that, and even with that it seems like a bit much, but around 100 million tickets get sold for some of those movies in America alone as well.

Goldschmidt

Learned
The last game I bought from Bioware was Dragon Age Origins. At least that game was primarily designed for pc. As early as around 2006-2010 we saw the focus shifting to console gaming and pc gamers start getting one bad port after the other. DA II was a terribad console port. And ever since we are getting crap console port after crap console port on pc and one start to wonder why you should even have a pc for gaming. Consoles ruined everything. These days we must be glad if we even get 5 pc exlcusive games in a timespan of a year.

The DA II game preview article featured Goldman the new jewish art director. He talked about "updating" and "enhancing" Dragon Age Origins.
He made a complete mess out of it.

Softgels

Educated
Old ball and chain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom