Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The RPG that pissed you off the most

Title. And in what way or means, such as a particular happening or feature of the game.

XNrYV4v.jpg

Story wise, Utawarerumono Mask of Truth. I was promised a dramatic war story only to get shounen slice of life. The most aggravating part was the "fanservice" from the first game. Kuon is infuriating. The narrative contorts around her. She gets multiple asspull powerups that violate the canon. Deus ex Kuon happens a lot. She is also far and away the least compelling member of Haku's possible love interests, and yet towards the end the game leans towards pushing her as the main girl. There was also the awful implementation of franchise fanservice, where the story bends over backwards to glorify the old cast at the expense of the guys I'm playing as right now. This is a pretty fatal flaw to have in a visual novel/SRPG hybrid where 80% of the game is reading the story.

Gameplay wise, The Last Remnant. The two fatal flaws of the game are it's RNG and its obscure mechanics.

The game poorly explains its mechanics to the player, which are very unintuitive, and applying typical RPG logic is counterintuitive. If you try to grind, you are punished, and grinding too much can cause the game to become unbeatable, but the game doesn't clearly tell you that. 90% of the game is optional side content with obscure requirements, and the side quests are missable, so you have to consult a walkthrough to find out where to go, when, and how to do something.

And then there are the layers and layers of RNG stacked on top of each other. In order to do a quest, the questgiver randomly spawns, so you have to walk in and out of town over and over again until he spawns. In order to kill a mob you need to complete a quest, you have to walk in and out of a zone (sometimes multiple zones) over and over again until it spawns. You also need random drops from mobs to upgrade you weapons, and some mobs don't respawn, meaning if you kill it and it doesn't drop the item you need, well you pretty much have to reload your game and do the whole fight over again. It's painful. You pretty much need a mod called TLRplanner to forcespawn the mob you want and to guarantee that its entire loot table drops, and maybe teleport to the mob once all of that walking becomes tedious enough.

Last edited:

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Wrath of the Wrongness.
Horrible writing
Horrible music directing(no iconic theme to the main story, to much choir, to much percussion as rhythm bed.)
The Demon Girls main theme is close but not quite it. Could say their is no main theme to the game so the music on the map or in areas are just meh.
Poor Orchestration
Goes on forever
Horrible Characters, Characterization and their stories.

I felt tortured playing this game it just was everything wrong! It needed an editor for music directing, writing, pacing.

It was also complete woke trash. I got more enjoyment out of "Knights of the Chalice 2" with music off.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Planescape Torment, hands down. I was playing it for a week, waiting for the game to really "start". Then realised that *this* is the game... The high-school level philosophical rantings were extremely tedious to read after a while (and I like reading a lot). Combat was utter shit and the reviews were all lying, there's *tons* of combat.

Morrowind.
It started as the best thing ever, but after a while the game started to feel really shallow due to the copy pasted dungeons, generic random loot, people responding with the same Wikipedia style entries 99% of the time, etc. I really liked the books, *but* I hated how it interrupted the gameplay. So I was like, okay I'm gonna play the game for the next two hours, then I'm ending up reading some books for an hour instead of really *playing* the game. Dunno, it just felt frustrating and I couldn't enjoy the books because I wanted to finish reading as quickly as possible. The other frustrating thing was that the world-building and the general atmosphere was top-notch, but the game couldn't realise its full potential due to all these issues. IMHO, etc...

Betrayal at Krondor.
Reviews led me to believe that the story was some top-notch fantasy; well, I have a different opinion. It felt amateurish and overly silly with nonsensical plot turns, I really couldn't get into it and stopped caring for the characters around Chapter 7, which is a problem in a story-driven RPG... Combat was the best part and the music, and the side quests were actually quite good. Felt a bit like playing an adventure game with a flight simulator interface, which is unfortunate because there was a lot of backtracking (e.g. you do something that sets a flag, then you revisit a random location 20km away, and booom, suddenly a quest giver appears there... so many times you have to do a full-search over the map using the shitty 3D interface, which is not my idea of fun. This is less of a problem in non-3D adventure games with discrete locations). I found the word puzzles more frustrating than fun too, but I'm not a native English speaker, plus while I'm good at abstract/mathematical puzzles, I suck at language based ones in *any* language.

I think I'll replay all of them one day with adjusted expectations and it will be fine. The ironical thing is that they're in fact good games, just *massively* overhyped. The common theme for all three is that a large number of people gave these games high praise and saying they're the best thing ever, so naturally if I then find some things I dislike about the game, I'm going to be disappointed. Moral of the story: don't read reviews longer than a few sentences, and just go into games semi-blind (that's what I do these days). No expectations, no disappointment!

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I barely consider it an RPG at all, but The Outer Worlds is the one I'll mention. Don't ask me to go into the details as to why; my therapist has been encouraging me to bury it deep inside.

Honorable mention goes to Dragon Age 2.

Modron

Arcane
Title. And in what way or means, such as a particular happening or feature of the game.
Icewind Dale 2, 40% too much trash combat that yielded neither experience nor loot. Pillars of Eternity for the same reason (the b team made a much better game in the expansions than the big names). NWN OC for being the shittiest campaign ever. Drakensang for having some decent moments but devolving later in the game to just areas filled to the brim with enemies and very little else. Divinity Original Sin for the same reason.

Last edited:

Ryzer

Arcane
On top of my head:
-Witcher 1 due to absolutely dogshit combat and frequent long ass loadings
- Dark Souls 3 caused by stupid endless monsters attacks forcing you to spam rolls like a retard
-Planescape Torment and its trash encounters
- Dragon age origins because of the fade whose sole purpose is to waste my time as well as the overload of trash mobs
- Fallout 2: Vault City.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
Pathfinder WOTR: these people could make a masterpiece if they get help with their autism and find out what fun means.
NWN 2: The controls and UI are trying everything they can to prevent me from enjoying the game
Dragons Dogma: I have tried this game at least 4 times but the fantastic gameplay is utterly wasted on a lifeless world, F2P MMO quest design and uninteresting story.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
What I find funny about Pathfinder Wrath of the Wrongness is I was part of the Alpha and Beta. I helped with some of the music and they still left in mistakes!

I told them they need Avalon because their writing is a mess. I just sent in report after report and talked to them online it was like talking to a wall.
Pride before the Fall.

Playing the Alpha and Beta was hilarious you find all theses mistakes and then you play the main game and they are still there!

Really is this same group that created Pathfinder Kingmaker? Sometimes we do things that surprise us, then we try and again only to show we are a failure.

I think I gave them 400 dollars on the kickstarter which no big deal really . I never even cared about any of that stuff after I beat the game.

By the way when I say Iconic them think Lord of the Rings and Fellowship of the Ring. Howard Shores Main motif that opens the music.

Look how that Motif is used in the film.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Morrowind. The decline from Daggerfall was far to imense for me to put up with at the time. I disliked so much about it. It felt like Bethesda was trying to get away from d&d stylized fantasy, and instead of creating something uniquely interesting they created something uniquely boring. The mushrooms, the oddball npc's that only someone working at the Bethesda developers garage would like, the horrific combat, the nonsensical ui, the entire way dialogue worked. I could go on. I did enjoy the questionairre at the beginning. Years later I would find my appreciation for what they were trying to accomplsh. But my enjoyment of Daggerfall made me bummed out that they didnt continue that design further and instead switched to something else so wildy diffferent. It worked out in the end though for them. Open Morrowind intrigues me but I havent checked if most mods work with it. I would go on to have a deep appreciation for Elder Scrolls lore even going so far as to playthrough most of ESO. But back then, I was not a happy gamer.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Avernum: Escape From the Pit. The writing is occasionally funny but usually the game is just a bland grindfest. There's also no meaningful characters to speak of, and the quests are often boring. I quit about 25 hours into the game when I realised I didn't care about the party I was trying to help escape the pit, and I didn't care about any of the NPCs in the game world, and the combat started getting highly repetitive.

Reality

Learned
Divinity original sin ... Tuning out the humor is one thing but the combat as selling point falls apart when your crowd control out scales the bad guys crowd control. Ever fight after level 12 is decided on the 1 st turn

If talking about tactical RPGs fire emblem genealogy of holy war for being a game where you mash super soldiers into 3x3 blocks of enemies without fear followed by multiple minutes crossing empty 40x25 fields to the next objective

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It worked out in the end though for them.

In the sense of making shitloads of cash, not in the sense of making something good and memorable.

Open Morrowind intrigues me but I havent checked if most mods work with it. I would go on to have a deep appreciation for Elder Scrolls lore even going so far as to playthrough most of ESO.

Me too, and weirdly enough I *yearn* to roam the desolate lands of Vvardnfell again. Like I said, although I was generally disappointed with the actual gameplay, I adore the setting, the atmosphere and the lore (and I'm not exactly a "lore person"). I kind of dream about Morrowind, still.

The advice from this dude regarding OpenMW seems to be good, I intend to follow his guide one day.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Witcher 1 - became a slog during the second half of the game with unskippable trash mob encounters.
Mass Effect - it's the first sign that Bioware would continue to dumb down their games. There was absolutely no challenge involved, going through one copy-pasted sci-fi dungeon after another.
Fallout 3 - gave up after 2 hours in due to nauseatingly bad writing. Watching LPs of the game confirmed my suspicions that it would never get better.
Brigand: Oaxaca - after struggling with the worst ever UI and AI for 28 hours and almost making it to the end of the game, it crashed while I was saving. Never raged so hard before over a game.

Knights of the Chalice 2 for its psychopathic "encounter design."

Honorable mention: Fallout 3/4 for not being Fallout 1/2

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Divine Divinity. Not the entire game but a specific boss encounter.
It was Josephina, I still remember her.
My endeavors were like waves crashing against her rock hard fortress.
I was so mad, I even changed the loading screen tips into random insults against her.
It calmed me as I was losing time after time again.
Then, in my despair, I randomly equipped a freezing sword and that was it. I beat her.
Turns out, I'm not alone in this
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=109199
https://af.gog.com/forum/divinity_s...josephina_as_an_archer_spoilers?as=1649904300
https://steamcommunity.com/app/214170/discussions/0/864961629626753415/

NWN2 was kind of annoying because it forced you to pick certain members for certain missions but I got used to it eventually.
Almost uninstalled at the time.
But now more and more games are doing this, forcing the player into joining forces with certain npcs for certain story missions.

Beans00

Augur
Fallout 3 is the game I probably hate the most in the figurative sense since I was a fallout 1/2 fanboy as a kid. I knew it was going to suck though since I didn't like morrowind or oblivion. Got it for christmas 08 and beat it once. In a vacuum probably not the worst game ever but how it shit on my favorite games as a kid to become some generic time sink pile of shit. Anymore ranting and I'll just be coping.

Games I actually hated the most in the literal sense:

DX:Invisible war. Unlike F3 I actually thought this was going to be good. Paid like 35$ for it which was a lot of money as a 12 year old. Never beat it until a friend gifted me a copy last year on steam as a joke. Absolutely terrible in every way.

NWN 2 OC: Dunno why I even pre ordered this one. Didn't like NWN 1 and I only played kotor 2(and kotor 1) after NWN 2 so I had no reason to pull for obsidian. Flat out suckered out of 60$ which was again a lot of money for a 14 year old. Never made it out of act 1. Most annoying companions/writing ever.

Played some other similarly bad games but none really pissed me off so much to be memorable. DA:O was garbage like NWN 2 but I dropped it within like 90 minutes and got it for free so w/e. Morrowind again I hated but I dropped it quickly, and again had a free copy. If anything reading people praise it on this forum has made me hate it more then actually playing the game did.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Fallout 3 + 4 dialogues - who talks like that? I knew Beth are lazy hacks and made them that way so their incompetent department responsible for dialogues can mess around and still deliver.

FO4 main quest - a bloat of acitvities that makes little sense.

Gameplay wise, The Last Remnant. The two fatal flaws of the game are it's RNG and its obscure mechanics.

The game poorly explains its mechanics to the player, which are very unintuitive, and applying typical RPG logic is counterintuitive. 90% of the game is optional side content with obscure requirements, and the side quests are missable, so you have to consult a walkthrough to find out where to go, when, and how to do something.

And then there are the layers and layers of RNG stacked on top of each other. In order to do a quest, the questgiver randomly spawns, so you have to walk in and out of town over and over again until he spawns. In order to kill a mob you need to complete a quest, you have to walk in and out of a zone (sometimes multiple zones) over and over again until it spawns.

Sounds like (j)RPGs made specifically for game guides to buy, thought that design died with PS2 era?

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Playing any JRPG with random encounters is the most insufferable experience possible. I really don't get the popularity of them.
:smug:

Seriously now:
Pathfinder Kingmaker, because of too many bad things that spoil potentially great game.
...and then they made a sequel that makes the same mistakes, only worse.
I wanted to really like those games. I can to some extent like Kingmaker but WotR, it seems too much.

NWN 1
What at letdown it was after some of the IE games. Despite being RtwP a few of them (BG2 and ID1) were fun to play. And then this abomination. I'm still pissed, after 2 decades. It is one of the games that made me realise that the future of gaming might not be so bright as i imagined. Morrowind was another such game (despite being relatively much better).

BG2
I'm stilled pissed that they made the concept of "romances" popular in western crpgs. Someone else would eventually do it but it's not an excuse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom