Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The RPG that pissed you off the most

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shitscape Torment and the original Pillars of Eternity. Terrible writing and tonnes of it, with crap combat if you ever finish reading. Solana Crown of whatever for having the most phoned-in campaign possible, absolutely shameful. Queens wish (the whole game)... ultima 8 jump puzzles... every blobber ever... divine divinity "humour" and ridiculous element-obsessed puzzle combat...

:negative:

Falksi

Arcane
  • Witcher 3 - A game being shit is one thing, but to be so bloated and soulless that it actually feels like you're clocking on to do a day job is something else. Not to mention an awful conclusion to some of the plot threads sewn in earlier games. A painfully wank experience.
  • Dragon Age 2 - Similar to The Witcher 3, I played it through to the bitter end because of the foundation layed by earlier games and it's just a dire game in every way.
  • Chrono Trigger - First playthrough was great, repeated plays have all been awful due to the stupidly easy difficulty and set enemy placements. You may as well not be playing it.
  • Breath of Fire 2 - Ye gads what a fucking grind. The random battles are condensed so tightly, which wouldn't be so bad if the decisions which you made during them actually counted, but they rarely do.
  • Earthbound - An inventory system and unbalanced battle system that totally shits all over the game's unique charm.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Divinity OS1. It's not an entirely terrible game, but it sure has a lot of infuriating elements, such as:

- shitty diablo-like itemization where you have to rummage through piles of weapons and armor pieces after each battle;
- shitty "+1 to a skill" item effects that force you to equip/unequip armor pieces when you need to identify a trinket or pick a lock;
- tons of useless garbage items (like bottles, broomhandles, rags, pieces of ore, wood, paper, etc etc) included solely to be used in crafting;
- tons of containers (boxes, barrels, wardrobes, chests, etc etc) to sift through;
- annoying NPCs who keep repeating the same stupid lines each time you walk in their vicinity;
- terrible cringy writing and a constant barrage of lolrandom jokes that utterly destroy any immersion you might've had;
- the only good part of the game - combat mechanics - is undermined by a huge amount of trash encounters and a lack of attrition (there's no mana or spell charges).

it's like the game was deliberately designed to piss you off.

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
Usually, what pisses me most in games are the controls. Especially in games with isometric 3d camera, where you a playing with camera instead of game itself or games with a lot of teeny meeny winy fidgeting and realtime min-imicromanaging. Thus being said, NWN1,2, IE games, RTSs are a no-go for me these days.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
DOS:2. Even now the mention of the game can send me into foaming at the mouth rage. It was the most annoying game I've ever played, every NPC had the exact type of personality that I would punch in the face irl. Only reason I finished it is I was playing coop with my gf but after that torture I would rate it as the worst RPG ever made.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
KotOR 2.

Spend 6 hours fighting the same copy-pasted trash fight to get to a Jedi Master.
"Why did you disconnect me from the Force?"
"We didn't."
"OK."
Go to the next planet and do it all again.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I'd like to rage about DOTA2 even though it's not much of an RPG. If it was 100% shit then I would ignore it but there are parts that are amazing. When you get a big battle between 5 people vs the 5 enemy people, and everyone is good and contributing, then it can be amazing. And it's always different because of the many different interactions between the many characters. But everything else about the game is completely retarded. You depend so much on the rest of your team and usually they are fucking morons. In games like NOX you had all the same cool gameplay but it was deathmatch so you could just enjoy it, you only had to rely on yourself. Teamplay could be great but mobas allow shit people to ruin everything for everyone. You also can't leave the game when if someone on your team is deliberately trying to ruin the game, if you leave the game punishes you. So you are held hostage for an hour by these stupid fucks. Also kill stealing is like the stupidest mechanic that goes completely against everything else in the game. It ruins everything, it makes the players play like useless bastards and rewards them for it. It punishes people who play well. Also having to 'farm the lane' for 30 minutes at the start of every game is boring and stupid. Basically everything about these games is really annoying shit and stupid, except a few awesome bits of gameplay. I can't believe someone hasn't taken the few good bits and made a new game out of it, but this retarded games business instead just copy pastes the same DOTAs with the same shit problems. Same thing happened with MMOs, all these promising genres die out because they all copied 1 game instead of trying a few things. :argh:

I barely consider it an RPG at all, but The Outer Worlds is the one I'll mention. Don't ask me to go into the details as to why; my therapist has been encouraging me to bury it deep inside.

Honorable mention goes to Dragon Age 2.
I didn't even try it, I could tell by the videos it would trigger me more than entertain. And yeah DA2 was the first time I felt personally insulted by a game.

Morrowind.
I played it right after being obsessed with EQ from 1999 to 2004 so can you imagine what it seemed like to me?

Sizzle

Arcane
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear.

Now, after the Enhanced Editions, I didn't have any hopes for this. Even so, I expected that it would at least contribute to BG modding in some way. After all, they had the source code and could do practically anything with the game.

What we got instead was atrocious on practically every level - most egregiously the nonsensical, SJW-infested story, and badly written NPCs (especially returning companions, which were especially out-of-character).

What a waste.

Gargaune

Magister
Dragon Age 2

Shit, ripoff game with a demo's worth of content, the sort you'd expect from a shady Kickstarter. A handful of maps recycled over and over, bullshit wave encounters artificially trying to extend the game length, and no narrative agency of any stripe. Irredeemable, to wipe one's ass with it would only add to its value.

Baldur's Gate 3 (Early Access)

So much good, promising material hamstrung by some truly idiotic decisions, chief among them the very worst control schema I've had the misfortune to try in an RPG in the past two or so decades. Which is about as long as I've been playing videogames, come to think of it. And Larian's commitment to this dumpster fire of a design in the face of overwhelming feedback and easy solutions is just added insult to injury.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The Witcher 3
Gameplay was pure garbage. Itemization was atrocious. Difficutly was sub-par, and I detest open world games. But I had to keep on going because I wanted to finish the series with my Witcher 1 save game, and of course was kinda interested how the story would end, since I did like a lot of the characters of the series. I however did not play the DLC because I was so fed up with the game at the end (had to constantly force myself to finish the main game). This game seriously pissed me off, and I don't care how good the DLCs are, I will never touch it again. Ever.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
NeverWinter Nights 1. It was pretty hyped but when it came out the OC was complete dog shit and the developers, reviewers and members of RPGCODEX (Volourn) excused it because it had mod tools to make "your own good game."

Alphons

Cipher
Inquisitor

Orc mines were bad. Having to constantly backtrack to town through several levels of respawning trash mobs. It was just the beginning.

At one point I just stopped caring and started using the guards I could hire as a noble as bait while I run past the trash mobs.

mkultra

Augur
prophecy of the shadow (early 90's)
copy protection made it impossible to get anywhere than the first room. i guess the manual must have been rewritten or something because the word just didn't work, me and a buddy probably went through the entire manual and tried all words lol...
money wasn't completely wasted because i sold the game (mint shape) for a little more, some 30 years later ;)

coldaqua

Novice
Fallout 4. It's not necessarily a bad game but I was expecting more especially after FNV.

Codex Year of the Donut
Age of Decadence. I expected something much better than what I got based on what people were saying about it.

Here's an example of 'exploration' in AoD:
46-image3099.jpg

47-image3100.jpg

48-image3101.jpg

Dialogue is, and will be for the foreseeable future, the weakest aspect of cRPGs no matter how good the writers actually are and how good the writing is. Reread that last part a few times and sear it into your memory.
There are cRPGs from 20-30 years ago with good exploration that contained very little dialogue. This is something video games naturally lend themselves well to: letting a player explore and interact with the environment. Stop fighting against the medium's strengths. If you're using dialogue(trees) for anything other than, well, dialogue then you're using it wrong.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mass Effect 2. The complete gutting and retardation of the RPG mechanics in exchange for shitty cover shooting. So one character could learn how to create singularities with their mind while another could learn how to change the bullets in their clip. Whichever genius designer came up with that should get a kick in the balls.

Humbaba

Arcane
Lol@people naming PST, fucking fight me faggots, that game is too good for you. Anyway:

Arcanum because it has nothing to offer but one or two neat concepts but people still treat it like it's worth anybody's time.

Tyranny post act 1, because after that it gets more and more generic + the ending is absolute ass.

Pillars 1 because similar to Arcanum people kept insisting that it was good when in reality it was trash + the ending is EVEN worse than Tyranny's.

Codex Year of the Donut
Mass Effect 2. The complete gutting and retardation of the RPG mechanics in exchange for shitty cover shooting. So one character could learn how to create singularities with their mind while another could learn how to change the bullets in their clip. Whichever genius designer came up with that should get a kick in the balls.
This is why I maintain that ME3>ME2. The combat is significantly better in ME3 with much more difficult AI that punishes you for playing popamole on insanity, and a much better story(sans ending.) ME3 is a fun third person shooter with RPG elements, ME2 is neither good at shoota or RPG.
ME3 actually walks back a lot of the consolizations of ME2.

If ME was a 4-part series and ME3 didn't have its ridiculous ending, I believe that ME3 would be much more popular than ME2.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Daggerfall, spending 1 hour exploring a huge dungeon to find a enemy you need to kill only to find he bugged out and spawned in a wall and you cant kill him.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That Disney cartoon game - The Banner Saga. Start a battle, enemy gets the first turn and walks right through your party without provoking an attack of opportunity from party members in range, and 1-shots a party member. Fuck off game.

Darkest Dungeon - x2 of your party members are gonna die in the final battle no matter how strong your diverse party is. Only way to avoid it is with exploits and cheese...Go and fuck yourself game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom