Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News RPG in a Box orthos out on Steam

Late Bloomer

Scholar
What does "orthos out" mean?

-derived from or being an acid in the highest hydrated or hydroxylated form known
-relating to, characterized by, or being two neighboring positions in the benzene ring

Take your pick.

I look forward to Saint_Proverbius news posts just to see which adjective he will use next.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The soulless loading screen in between encounters in the Shining and the Darkness example is enough to make me not want this.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Why even bother with this? For an extra $15 you can buy KOTC2, which is arguably the engine with the best enemy AI in any rpg, and it comes with a full campaign to boot.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Why even bother with this? For an extra $15 you can buy KOTC2, which is arguably the engine with the best enemy AI in any rpg, and it comes with a full campaign to boot.

RPG in a Box has more flexibility (KOTC2 is based around OGL) and is more customizable, can create non-linear gameplay Ultima style, different types of combat, supports a range of different 3D views (first person / third person ISO, crows fly), time of day scheduling, and can look "nicer" graphics with a lot less effort (although I acknowledge voxels are an acquired taste and it requires good artists as does anything). This flexibility comes at a cost.

This is not to say that KOTC2 is not a good system; it is just a different system; as Pierre says: it is focussed on the OGL and focussed modules and scenarios. The editor is streamlined to deliver that.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I would actually play around with this if it had some sort of d&d rules plug-in

That would be a monumental effort on the part of someone. He's got "Workshop support" on his Trello, so it's possible that eventually, someone makes something like that and releases it. After all, there are "free" licensed rules that are subsets of D&D and Pathfinder. I wouldn't hold your breath though, since that's a LOT of scripting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom