Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Funposter

Arcane
Some JRPG from 1988 that I've never heard about
What game?

Dragon Ball: Daimaō Fukkatsu

Since its release, Dragon Ball has become one of the most successful manga and anime series of all time, with the manga sold in over 40 countries and the anime broadcast in more than 80 countries. The manga's 42 collected tankōbon volumes have over 160 million copies in circulation in Japan and 260 million in circulation worldwide, making it the third best-selling manga series.

Dragon Ball Z's Japanese run was very popular with an average viewer ratings of 20.5% across the series. Dragon Ball Z also proved to be a rating success in the United States, outperforming top shows such as Friends and The X-Files in some parts of the country in sweeps ratings during its first season. The premiere of season three of Dragon Ball Z in 1999, done by Funimation's in-house dub, was the highest-rated program ever at the time on Cartoon Network. In 2002, in the week ending September 22, Dragon Ball Z was the #1 program of the week on all of television with tweens 9-14, boys 9-14 and men 12-24, with the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday telecasts of Dragon Ball Z ranked as the top three programs in all of television, broadcast or cable, for delivery of boys 9-14.

It's hard to explain how insanely popular Dragon Ball Z was at the beginning of the millennium. Every single male born between about 1988 and 1995, here in Australia, watched it when it aired in the morning before school. It's a cultural touchstone for that age group almost on par with something like The Simpsons. Maybe South Park when it first aired and the WWF during the late 90s are a more direct comparison. It was just enormous and has enduring popularity.

Oh...Well, I never heard about, so I assumed it was rather obscure, and not something like FF or Zelda.
Zelda and FF have crossover appeal in terms of demographics (i.e women) but never at any point did they come close to the appeal of DBZ at its peak to that young male demographic. You want to think more along the lines of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Grand Theft Auto 3 or Halo.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Can't say I care for much of Super. Frieza saga is still probably the best. Droids.. eh
Bu eh...
Depending on production or issue you miss side content and there is the damn censoring. Censoring fucking irks me. Certain channels still fuzz up images and change words.

Silentstorm

Learned
Man, i remember playing pretend Dragon Ball as a kid, even in high school i saw some kids making the fusion dance as a joke, also, constant barrage of games, Monopoly version, i think 3 TCG's based on Dragon Ball, several games even during a decade when the series was over and nothing came out while current anime series got nothing.

The Battle Of The Gods movie in 2013 then revitalized the franchise with another movie coming out and then another anime series and manga, the anime ended but got a new movie and an upcoming one making it the 21st movie based on Dragon Ball...let's not forget the OVAS, specials and even that one movie made for an obscure Bandai console that was basically a FMV game.

There is also Dragon Ball Heroes, an anime with short episodes that is basically just fights and new non canon villains popping up, based on a card game going since 2010 in Japan, one where you put the cards in a arcade machine which has some manga spin-offs of it's own, also two ports, one to 3DS and another to Switch/PC but it turns out arcade card games suck when you can't put or actually move the cards around.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Young near baby Goku of Dragon Ball. I only saw a handful of those because American TV. Most of the franchise I don't have a clue and have watched maybe 5% of the total episodes spanning the entire Dragonball verse (maybe).

For a while you could watch Team 4 star take on Dragonball Z.... ABRIDGED!

Silentstorm

Learned
Looking at the blog, said game isn't even a CRPG, and why is he playing console games at all, i thought he was going for computer RPG's and most console RPG's play nothing like what you would see on any computer for quite a while.

Also, he states he dislikes anime and general aesthetic...so why the fuck did he play a licensed game based on an anime, a NES game released only in Japan for that matter.

What, his normal RPG fix isn't enough for his addiction anymore and now he has to try JRPG drugs!?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looking at the blog, said game isn't even a CRPG, and why is he playing console games at all, i thought he was going for computer RPG's and most console RPG's play nothing like what you would see on any computer for quite a while.

Also, he states he dislikes anime and general aesthetic...so why the fuck did he play a licensed game based on an anime, a NES game released only in Japan for that matter.

What, his normal RPG fix isn't enough for his addiction anymore and now he has to try JRPG drugs!?

He randomly picks console RPGs occasionally because he wants to see how the console RPGs borrowed from computer RPGs and vice versa. He's not doing that for fun but to broaden his understanding of the genre's history.

I don't think it's worth it tbh because even in the era he's currently in, console RPGs already veer into their own direction and it's only going to get worse as time goes on.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think it's worth it tbh because even in the era he's currently in, console RPGs already veer into their own direction and it's only going to get worse as time goes on.
The game he picked actually has a decent one directly(?) following it on the SNES, it's a shame he didn't pick that one. It's one of the few jRPGs I've played and enjoyed.
https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Super_Saiya_Densetsu

Notable for generally following the plot of the series but allowing a lot of player freedom in how things actually play out, who dies/lives, etc.,
Much heavier on the RPG mechanic side too.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
console RPGs borrowed from computer RPGs and vice versa. He's not doing that for fun but to broaden his understanding of the genre's history.
Then he should play RPG, not that Dragon Ball game. Also, he should at least be playing those more influential console RPG instead of any random he searches on google.

See, he (like me) is biased against console RPGs and therefore doesn't want the part of his readership that love them to dictate which ones he should play, because they are biased towards them. He'd get hundreds of posts saying "PLAY FINAL FANTASY IT'S SO GOOD!!!"

That's why he just randomly rolls the dice.

Which isn't the best way to go about it. If a console gamer who wanted to try a couple CRPGs did it this way, he might end up with Ultima, Wizardry, Might & Magic if he gets lucky... but it's more likely he'll just hit some inferior shovelware Ultima clone made by a teenager in his basement.

Viata

Arcane
therefore doesn't want the part of his readership that love them to dictate which ones he should play, because they are biased towards them
He doesn't need to do that. I fail to see how searching for the most influential console RPGs would lead to "letting my readership dictate what I should play". He is already searching for random ones, might as well learn how to use that search engine better.

Narushima

Cipher
Absolutely searing socio-political commentary!
2022-06-17-14-48-15-crpgaddict-blogspot-com-efb686d7fe28.png

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2022/06/game-459-robin-hood-prince-of-thieves.html

It doesn't even work very well as a movie companion. There's no character to any of the characters. Each of the party members--Azeem, Duncan, Friar Tuck, and Little John--has only a few lines after they join the party. Neither the Sheriff of Nottingham nor Maid Marian are present enough in the game to feel that they're the protagonist's great love and great nemesis, respectively. Will Scarlett is absent entirely.
slashfic alternate universe game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom