Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong - narrative RPG from The Council devs - now on Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reviews are all over the place.

Quite a lot of reviews, too.

Cultured Vultures 5.5/10
Destructoid 7/10
Dexerto 5/10
Digital Trends 3/5
EGM 3/5
Game Informer 8.5/10
Game Rant 3/5
Gamers Heroes 65/100
GameSkinny 8/10
Gaming Nexus 8/10
GamingTrend 80/100
God is a Geek 8/10
IGN 5/10
NME 4/5
PC Gamer 50/100
PCGamesN 7/10
Polygon
Ragequit.gr 77/100
Rock Paper Shotgun
Screen Rant 4/5
TheGamer 3.5/5
TheSixthAxis 7/10
Twinfinite 4/5
Wccftech 9/10
Worth Playing 8/10

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Unfortunately, one area that really breaks the immersion is in Swansong’s character animations and lip syncing. For a game with such a large focus on dialogue, Swansong’s stiff and awkward facial animations should have gotten much more care.
One place where Swansong throws the uninitiated into the deep end is with the game’s RPG mechanics, which feel like they’re ripped straight from the tabletop game
Probably the biggest criticisms. Bad visual presentation, bad mechanical explanation. Both don't bother me too much.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Unfortunately, one area that really breaks the immersion is in Swansong’s character animations and lip syncing. For a game with such a large focus on dialogue, Swansong’s stiff and awkward facial animations should have gotten much more care.
One place where Swansong throws the uninitiated into the deep end is with the game’s RPG mechanics, which feel like they’re ripped straight from the tabletop game
Probably the biggest criticisms. Bad visual presentation, bad mechanical explanation. Both don't bother me too much.
I find the root of the first problem to be gaming’s general obsession with ultra realistic graphics. They always look like creepy plastic dolls to me. I prefer more stylized depictions.

The second is just oof. Why do devs keep trying to translate tabletop mechanics rather than make video game-appropriate mechanics from the ground up?

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Every fucking woman in the game won some sort of battle against "the patriarchy". Fucking one of them is a 1800's feminist.

Jesus Christ! JESUS CHRIST!!!
Is it really so difficult to write vampires that, by virtue of being equally sterile and reproducing via contagious demonic possession, don’t care about what genitals you have when it comes to politics?

I prefer to just take for granted that the local vampire boss is a woman and give her problems that have nothing to with her sex. You could devise numerous other issues for her to deal with. Maybe the second-in-command in the opposing clique is her evil twin, or she secretly comes from an unfairly despised bloodline, or has a secret affair with the boss of the opposing clique, or has mortal relatives she is being blackmailed over, or wants revenge on her maker for some reason, or any number of other things.

Are these writers simply incapable of comprehending motivations that don’t revolve around activism?

Harthwain

Magister
Is it really so difficult to write vampires that, by virtue of being equally sterile and reproducing via contagious demonic possession, don’t care about what genitals you have when it comes to politics?
It is, when you have to push your personal agenda into everything. Even games back in 90 and 00 had strong female characters (Ecaterina literally rapes Christof!), but they also made sense as characters who were powerful vampires. They weren't platforms designed to showcast female problems to the players under some flimsy pretext.

Are these writers simply incapable of comprehending motivations that don’t revolve around activism?
Uh, yes? A good writer knows when to separate his own beliefs from his creation, therefore it is obvious we're dealing with writers who are not good, to put it mildly.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
vampires weren't portrayed in a good light
I got the joke

yqeYxfsaYs-19.png

J1M

Arcane
I find the root of the first problem to be gaming’s general obsession with ultra realistic graphics. They always look like creepy plastic dolls to me. I prefer more stylized depictions.

The second is just oof. Why do devs keep trying to translate tabletop mechanics rather than make video game-appropriate mechanics from the ground up?
Why would you assume that someone bad at adapting existing rules would be good at creating new ones?

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Why would you assume that someone bad at adapting existing rules would be good at creating new ones?
You assume that trpg rules are well designed, lend themselves to adaptation into the video game medium, and should be adapted in the first place. All of which are arguable at best.

Not only that but, when using a license, devs may have their hands tied by demands from the IP owner. Troika had to constantly go back and forth with WW during development because the contract stipulated they had to ask permission every time they had to make changes for the medium. I don’t imagine this was very helpful.

J1M

Arcane
You assume that trpg rules are well designed, lend themselves to adaptation into the video game medium, and should be adapted in the first place. All of which are arguable at best.

Not only that but, when using a license, devs may have their hands tied by demands from the IP owner. Troika had to constantly go back and forth with WW during development because the contract stipulated they had to ask permission every time they had to make changes for the medium. I don’t imagine this was very helpful.
No, I only assume that both tasks rely on the same underlying skills. Skills which have been sorely lacking in the entire industry for over a decade.

Harthwain

Magister
I am willing to argue that the boardgames invite better approach to designing games (and game rules) than video games.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For this exact reason, I might take the hit for everyone else and buy it. Play it. Write my opinions here.
fwiw, I have every intention of playing this, maybe not day 1, but soon. I hate Nacon, have no opinion on Epic, but want to support Big Bad Wolf .... and I don't want to wait a year or whatever.

Of course my opinions won't mean much to the Codex since I don't care about the culture wars in games, like at all, so the #1 very important issue of "how much woke ?????????" is unlikely to appear in anything I post about it.

jackofshadows

Magister

This review seems about right. I'll give it some time for them to patch it up before giving it a shot.

Zero white men in cast. I see.

The eyes on 3-34 reminded me of Andromeda, nice.

Ironic that even this aging feminist VTMB-fan complained about lack of sexiness and humour. The game looks so, so sterile all around.

Maybe will try this anyway out of boredom.

Semiurge

Cipher
For this exact reason, I might take the hit for everyone else and buy it. Play it. Write my opinions here.

I've read all the reviews on this game, and there's no real general consensus. So it's intriguing me now.

Record a let's-play.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I've read all the reviews on this game, and there's no real general consensus. So it's intriguing me now.

Record a let's-play.
Sure. But don't expect thrilling commentary. I'm an introvert. And my voice sucks.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
lack of sexiness and humour. The game looks so, so sterile all around.
This pretty much describes all the Paradox games.

As I've said before, we need new IPs to enter the ring and compete.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom