Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Well, the fog of war has gone all retarded, with the edge tiles seemingly facing random directions and not actually aligned to where CHARNAME is standing. I'm going to try again right now.
Thought I would post the solution.

https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat

There's a ddraw.dll that you drop into the main folder next to the exe. Makes shit right as rain. I knew getting that 3070 would bite me in the ass; I should've sprung for the 3090.
Try also integer upscale. That’s my must have in all IE.

Anyone have a picture of the newfound technical devilry? I'll need to see if it's worth buying a new video card before I start throwing out my old Win98 and XP PCs after all.
I’ve already posted it here couple of pages ago.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Well, the fog of war has gone all retarded, with the edge tiles seemingly facing random directions and not actually aligned to where CHARNAME is standing. I'm going to try again right now.
Thought I would post the solution.

https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat

There's a ddraw.dll that you drop into the main folder next to the exe. Makes shit right as rain. I knew getting that 3070 would bite me in the ass; I should've sprung for the 3090.
Try also integer upscale. That’s my must have in all IE.

Anyone have a picture of the newfound technical devilry? I'll need to see if it's worth buying a new video card before I start throwing out my old Win98 and XP PCs after all.
Post a picture? Dropping that ddraw.dll in the main directory fixed all my issues. I didn't have to adjust settings or nothing; just drop and go, like you do with broads.
Andrew-Dice-Clay_400x400.jpg

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
To be fair I combed some of your post history and couldn't find it. Though I did learn that you're a sensible, level-headed individual in all regards and that you recognize the true superiority of BG's sublime soundscape.
Now I'm a stalker, and my pixels aren't upscaled.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
To be fair I combed some of your post history and couldn't find it. Though I did learn that you're a sensible, level-headed individual in all regards and that you recognize the true superiority of BG's sublime soundscape.
Now I'm a stalker, and my pixels aren't upscaled.

Let me post it again then so that your pixels get a worthy treatment. I want this superior method to get a deserved amount of attention so the genuine BG1 experience could be enjoyed by the aliens next generations.

Apparently screenshots cannot be taken in this mode because they are resized back to the original resolution hence the photo. This is 1280x960 integer scaled from 640x480.View attachment 21940

A slight blur is due to the way this has been photoed. In fact the image tends to be crispy and pixel art-y.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Can I post nsfw stuff here?

I made an edit of Viconia from the original zdenka podkapova pic they traced. I shared it in 4channel but got deleted.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Alright, I was\ still intend to do another run of BG2, since I never really finished ToB, just got really close to the end. And I scoured the internet just for fun for alt portraits for shits and giggles, found some fun ones, but also found it weird nobody ever did an edit of the real photos they used for making the companion art. So here with my shitty gimp skills I did it myself for Vicky.

1647819838583.jpg

and with some lighting effects from gimp,
1647819905828.jpg

Can be used as a bmp portrait if you guys crop to the necessary sizes any way you want.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Long video of the EE:

Didn't really watch past 10 mins or so where he says he's a player of the originals and can't use hotkeys. I'm sure there are plenty of accomplished players who just play the game with the mouse, but they're all just like drivers of automatic transmission cars to me.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Long video of the EE:

Didn't really watch past 10 mins or so where he says he's a player of the originals and can't use hotkeys. I'm sure there are plenty of accomplished players who just play the game with the mouse, but they're all just like drivers of automatic transmission cars to me.

It's just laziness. Having to learn hotkeys reminds me of MMO days and I'm told old for that shit.

Desiderius

Patron
I never bothered with hotkeys in any game.
What a chad.

Used to play mobas with a friend back in 2009. One day ,after months of playing online, we played in a cybercafe. Dude didn't use hotkeys. Ever. He clicked spell icons then enemies. What.

I did that for a long time then joined a guild or whatever and had to step up my play, though was still pretty handy with the mouse when I went back to it a couple years ago and had forgotten the key bindings. Left hand on tab to cycle through enemies, right hand mouse to select from quick bars.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never bothered with hotkeys in any game.
What a chad.

Used to play mobas with a friend back in 2009. One day ,after months of playing online, we played in a cybercafe. Dude didn't use hotkeys. Ever. He clicked spell icons then enemies. What.

There are MMO players like that too, turret turning with the arrow keys and clicking on their ability bars.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I said this in shoutbox earlier, but for me, the single best thing about the BG series was permadeath.

You could get invested in a character, read their dialog, do their quests, and then walk over a disintegration trap and they turn to dust. Or watch them get gibbed by a strong enemy crit.

Even if you made your own party members, this kind of long campaign gets you attached to them. It makes those moments where they actually die thrilling and impactful. Even if you just hit the reload button.

Desiderius

Patron
I play MW2 to MW4 with just the keyboard...

You just get used to it.

I played my first games with just the keyboard because computers didn't have mice yet.

I think Ultima VI was first game I played with a mouse? Other than Spaceward Ho! in the Mac Lab.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
You could get invested in a character, read their dialog, do their quests, and then walk over a disintegration trap and they turn to dust.
My favorite instance of this was the disintegration trap in the Planar Sphere. It's as if it was made specifically to help players get rid of Valygar after he forced his way into their party.

Parabalus

Arcane
Long video of the EE:

The F# hotkey scheme is pretty bad though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom