Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The RPG that pissed you off the most

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
How can you say fight me faggot about criticizing PS:T then turn right around and say Arcanum has "nothing to offer"?

:retarded:

bionicman

Liturgist
OP should rename the thread to "The RPG that didn't piss you off" since codex gets pissed off by just about every rpg, it would be a more interesting read!

Faarbaute

Arbiter
There's only one RPG that really pissed me off and that's Pillars of Eternity.

I still feel irritated just thinking about it.

PS I also feel irritated that you changed your avatar, OP.

Last edited:

kangaxx

Arbiter
Probably Chrono Trigger. Most of the reasons could apply to any JRPG, but this takes the cake as the most overrated game in history. Just awful. I unironically prefer Pokemon.

In terms of "real" games rather than meme Japanese rubbish, maybe DOS 2 in recent times. Awful scaling loot. Awful maps and enemy scaling, with noob trap one shot encounters if you stray off a random path. Awful pacing in an already awful story that just drags on and on. Armour system that I can "understand" why they put it in but in reality makes the game more dull. And the game is about the almighty Source, yet Source powers are shit in game and almost entirely unnecessary.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Fallout 3 - I played it to the end, made it through the green landscape and put up with a lot of shit. Then the moronic ending gave me the final kick in the balls just for good measure. It was the South Park ending I didn't want, but really deserved.

Honorable mention - Dragon Age: Origins - Made it to the end, then there is that guy who only says "enchantments?" standing right at the end. What the hell is he doing here? Oh, just to make sure I had enough potions or whatever for the final fight. How considerate. I have no idea why I proceeded. I felt like a moron.

Honorable mention - Skyrim - I made it to the first dungeon with a puzzle. I couldn't go on. "So your life has come to this?" I said to myself. It was Bioshock bad. $50 down the toilet.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Honorable mention - Dragon Age: Origins - Made it to the end, then there is that guy who only says "enchantments?" standing right at the end. What the hell is he doing here? Oh, just to make sure I had enough potions or whatever for the final fight. How considerate. I have no idea why I proceeded. I felt like a moron.
The trusty retard fought his way past hordes of darkspawn just to see you off with a last enchantments? He was a true bro.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Oblivion, with its beyond retarded level scaling turning random bandits into heroes equipped with armour and weapons sufficient to bankrupt a nation and rats into god slayers. Also, bloom. Fuck bloom.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Pissed me off as in I thought it really sucked: Dragon Age Origins especially at the time of its release when everyone was talking about it like it was some amazing return to form for RPGs.

Pissed me off as in it was a good game then fucked it up midway through: Inquisitor. Runner up to Lionheart.

Zlaja

Arcane
Off the top of my head:

Ultima 8 - Those retarded jumping sections made me damage my keyboard.

Oblivion - The game that made sure that I ended up on the Codex and lose faith in humanity. Thanks, Todd.

Wizadry 8 - Great game, but that fucking respawn rate. FFS!

Gothic 3 - That magical vanilla experience.

:rage:

Sjukob

Arcane
Skyrim was the game that caused me to register on codex. I just couldn't believe that such a horrible piece of shit could be so commercially successful or even sell at all. So I looked for the like minded people on the internet and ended up here.

Divinity: Original Sin series - this was my first real introduction to woke shit, general retardation in modern video games and developers lying about things, no I've never watched Todd Howard's interviews and whatever nonsense he spills out in promotion videos. The first game had a lot of issues, but at least the combat was decent, the writing was so retarded you wouldn't believe that it was made by an actual human being. So Larian promised that they will fix their mistakes, especially writing, in the new game and that it will be an all around improvement over the original and I bought into it. In the end we got a sequel that inhereted all of the flaws of the original game and didn't really improve on anything. After playing DOS2 I was butthurt for about a month, at myself too for buying into this crap and clocking over 100 hours in it, it taught me to ignore the hype and take developer promises critically. However, the damage was so severe that I'm never going to play any Larian game ever again, not even the ones that were made before DOS.

Morrowind - I hate almost everything about this game and the legacy it created. The game has nothing going for it aside from hand crafted world, populated mostly by boring, generic, respawning NPCs placed in boring, generic, dungeons, and lore, which is ruined by the game's overal juvenile feel (age rating +12, lol) and lack of it's practical in-game application - one of the reasons for all the LARP related talk about Morrowind. Everything else is plain shit in Morrowind, even the soundtrack, I guess people primarily like it because it was their first introduction to open world games or something. This doesn't even begin to describe Morrowind's issues and I can talk about it for a long a time, but who cares, right?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Any jRPG where there's little lolicon/anime girls in light frilly fighting armor to show off their bare legs and plenty of baby fat with a strong suggestion of puffies carrying weapons bigger than they are that scream "Hi-YA! every time they do a spin-twirl attack. They annoy me, and they creep me.

saeci

Arcane
Any jRPG where there's little lolicon/anime girls in light frilly fighting armor to show off their bare legs and plenty of baby fat with a strong suggestion of puffies carrying weapons bigger than they are that scream "Hi-YA! every time they do a spin-twirl attack. They annoy me, and they creep me.

Why am I not surprised that a debased kwan faggot such as yourself can't enjoy something as blessed as loli JRPG's? Stick to your obsidian/larian/bethesda homo circles and keep JRPG's out of your filthy posts.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
18895.jpg

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Why am I not surprised that a debased kwan faggot such as yourself can't enjoy something as blessed as loli JRPG's? Stick to your obsidian/larian/bethesda homo circles and keep JRPG's out of your filthy posts.

I guess it's okay for you to be like this; as long as you keep it strictly within the realm of fapping fantasy and don't act on these impulses, you short eyes.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Not really tied to any specific game, but turn-based games with insane encounter rates. Basically, one fight, one step, then another fight. Usually a bigger problem with JRPGs than WRPGs though. Its not really a problem when a game is real time because fights are over much quicker.

Though if I were to chose one game specifically, Borderlands. Interesting concept, awful execution. The advertised millions of guns have less variety than your typical modern FPS, the only real difference between weapons of the same type is that some have magic effects. And while it isn't specific to Borderlands, but I hate the level-gating system, where if an enemy is level 104 and you're level 100, you will do 1 point of damage with a nuclear missile that hit them in the head. Its not great in your standard Diablo-like, but in a shooter it feels like bullshit.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Skyrim was the game that caused me to register on codex. I just couldn't believe that such a horrible piece of shit could be so commercially successful or even sell at all. So I looked for the like minded people on the internet and ended up here.

I ended up quitting Skyrim about 1/3 of the way through but more because of burnout than actually hating the game. I was actually quite impressed with it at first; so impressed I wanted to see and do EVERYTHING and not miss the tiniest dungeon or hand-placed encounter so started doing every side quest I could find. You know what happens when you try to do that with a game as massive as Skyrim, of course. Someone above mentioned that it had one puzzle in dungeons that was endlessly recycled throughout the game. I felt the same about that one animation of the undead opening the lid of their tombs and slowly climbing out. At first it was awesome, but after you see that exact same animation 200 times it feels like one of those games that has long unskippable animations when you do the most mundane things like walking across a room and opening something or climbing into/out of your space ship. It eventually wore on me.

Zlaja

Arcane
I'm never going to play any Larian game ever again, not even the ones that were made before DOS

You should give Divine Divinity a try. It's quite charming as long as you can stomach the Diablo-like combat.

which is ruined by the game's overal juvenile feel

I've heard a lot of complaints about Morrowind over the years, but this is the first time (that I can remember) someone complaining about the game having a juvenile feel. In my opinion, the game has a more mature feel to it then other ES games. To the point that it almost doesn't even seem like it belongs to the same franchise.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I ended up quitting Skyrim about 1/3 of the way through but more because of burnout than actually hating the game. I was actually quite impressed with it at first; so impressed I wanted to see and do EVERYTHING and not miss the tiniest dungeon or hand-placed encounter so started doing every side quest I could find. You know what happens when you try to do that with a game as massive as Skyrim, of course. Someone above mentioned that it had one puzzle in dungeons that was endlessly recycled throughout the game. I felt the same about that one animation of the undead opening the lid of their tombs and slowly climbing out. At first it was awesome, but after you see that exact same animation 200 times it feels like one of those games that has long unskippable animations when you do the most mundane things like walking across a room and opening something or climbing into/out of your space ship. It eventually wore on me.

The puzzle takes no joke about five seconds and its in something like 12 of 190ish dungeons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom