Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Simon the Sorcerer Origins - official prequel

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://smallthingstudios.com

ss_93163b2e841c8ca83ba92f96f300b6cbc161ed89.600x338.jpg
ss_10ce32f28e26d0c3c127614fd71b8fa03c1d162d.600x338.jpg

Developed by Smallthing Studios, an Italy-based company. It's a pretty new company (found around 2019?) and seemingly working/worked on several projects (some original, some licensed) already but none of them are released yet.

Simon The Sorcerer Origins is the official prequel of the legendary Simon's saga.

The game starts a few weeks before the events of the first episode, which left the players of the time with many unanswered questions about the reasons why Simon ended up in that mysterious magical world.

Origins tell a story about what happened before the events of the first chapter.

Simon's rebellious life will be shattered by the unexpected arrival in the wizarding world where he will unleash an absurd and ancient prophecy that will trigger a lot of trouble! During his adventure, the rebellious Simon will do something great, obtaining moral redemption and proving that he is not just a disappointment to his parents.

He will meet his guide and mentor: Calypso. Thanks to this encounter, Simon will be able to gain a new friend who will represent a symbolic grandfather for him.

The narrative and gameplay paths unfold in countless ways without forgetting about the core elements of the saga: comedy and sarcasm. A strong bond with these features has been maintained in the dialogues, situations, and animations. Simon will often break the fourth wall by speaking directly to the players. “Hey, I am talking to you, the future player I can magically sense who is reading the Steam Page about my game!

SimonOrigins_Features.gif

• Legacy - A tale that travels through time from a legendary past towards a great future.
  • This is not a remake, guys! - Simon the Sorcerer Origins is a brand new game with its roots deeply bonded with the contemporary gaming world.
  • Stunning 2D Art -Simon the Sorcerer Origins' visuals and animations, refined in every detail, let the player live his adventure in a continuous flow that goes from gameplay to cutscenes and vice-versa.
  • Puzzle and Comedy - The player will encounter a wide range of different kinds of puzzles. You could either challenge your wits with the classical “take and use” ones, seasoned with unexpected comedy interludes, or you can be called to solve magical arquebuses that will require the help of a little bit of sorcery. Hunt for clues, objects to combine, and all the weird stuff in the middle to reach the skill of a decent mage.
  • Original License - This is a canonical chapter of Simon's saga.
  • Easter Eggs - Look for them because they could be anywhere, also in a description of a Steam Page.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Find somebody who loves you as much as random European game developers love second-tier adventure IPs from the 1990s.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Can't say I cared for Horror/Adventure Soft's comedy outings, but that is one nice looking lighting system. I don't think I've ever seen an adventure game, in 2D especially, that had such a nice-looking system. It even has actual shadows, for sprites. I do hope they add more frames of animation to Simon though, he looks a bit janky.

deuxhero

Arcane
I distinctly remember the first game starting with Simon dismissing the idea of magic and getting isekaied from his normal Earth house to the game's world. How do you have a prequel to that?

Oh wow, yet another "origin story". I hate this postmodernist tendency where they try to explain everything to its roots. To tell a story "ab ovo" is always boring.

Viata

Arcane
All these Simon sequels and prequels not made by the original devs lack the irreverent British humor of the originals.
I always avoid sequels and prequels made by devs that are not the original team, since it always feel like people trying to sell me a corpse, "look, it's this game you liked 20 years ago, we are making a new sequel/prequel now, though no one here ever worked on the original but who cares, it's still the same game". Unless I never liked the original game.

zapotec

Liturgist
It has nothing of Simon the Sorcerey, missing the british fantasy vibe of the first two.

kaysayva

Literate
Art looks very very good, it's the cartoony-style done right.
lol, are you for real?
if it is real, then please give a retro reference for this, because this looks HORRIBLE.

edit: oh, turns out that you are consistent with yourself of being apologetic for trashy art styles.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also why the fuck does Simon need an origin story.
He already had an origin story in the first game: he gets transported into a fantasy world when he reads a strange book his dog found. Then he does stuff in that fantasy world.
Nowhere is it implied that he has ever been to a fantasy world before that. It's his first time there. Any "origin story" set before that would break the canon of the series (as much as the series has any canon). The series begins with his first trip to the fantasy world, and his fight against Sordid there, who resurrects himself in the second game and Simon's fight against him continues in the horrendous 3D game.

Nothing about this makes any sense.

Also, he looks too nice in that art. In the first game, he was a slightly dickish teenager. In the second game, he turned into a complete dickhead who acts like an asshole towards everyone.
This new Simon looks... cute and innocent. Not the kind of protagonist who would play genuinely nasty pranks on all the NPCs just to get ahead with the game.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Never end the second adventure game in your series with "The bad guy wins!" twist.

It happened twice. Which is not that many, but it's still weird that it happened twice.

Also why the fuck does Simon need an origin story.
He already had an origin story in the first game: he gets transported into a fantasy world when he reads a strange book his dog found. Then he does stuff in that fantasy world.
Nowhere is it implied that he has ever been to a fantasy world before that. It's his first time there. Any "origin story" set before that would break the canon of the series (as much as the series has any canon). The series begins with his first trip to the fantasy world, and his fight against Sordid there, who resurrects himself in the second game and Simon's fight against him continues in the horrendous 3D game.

Nothing about this makes any sense.

Also, he looks too nice in that art. In the first game, he was a slightly dickish teenager. In the second game, he turned into a complete dickhead who acts like an asshole towards everyone.
This new Simon looks... cute and innocent. Not the kind of protagonist who would play genuinely nasty pranks on all the NPCs just to get ahead with the game.
Yeah, it's just incredibly stupid, as the narrative basics are so simple to understand. There cannot be an origin story to this game or it fucks with the internal logic of the series. Either they are too stupid to notice these simple logical connections or it just shows their massive lack in respect and understanding for the series. In any way: Fuck these assholes!
Oh and I do agree that disgusting teletubbie-hobbit look of Simon is utterly unfitting to what a little prick he really is.
By the way: The only thing related to Simon I really crave for would be that Simon 3-VGA-style-adaption which unfortunately will never be finished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom