Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

The XP problem was solved with 3E. XP rewards scale based on the relative ECL of the PC and the CR of the foe/encounter. The completionist will still edge out higher, but the returns are strongly diminished. It takes the edge off encounter/campaign design, while blunting the player impulse to eek every drop of XP.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
“How to rate a game’s success” arguments start here
I'd say you should rate it by "engagement": how many people produce and consume guides, fan art, mods, reviews, etc. How many people care about the game enough to engage with the game other than playing.
If that is so, BG3 gonna be a winner in a long run and not because it is better than the first one, but because things changed for the past 20 years: more people play games nowadays.
But whether it is worth the fame of its predecessors is going to be clear very soon. For this to happen BG3 must offer an unseen before in RPGs freedom. Not just a solid gameplay, or a good story, or a fancy picture, but the ability for player to create his own narrative. I would say it’s the toughest part to implement while keeping it real and not just an end-credits fluff. Somehow I have a feeling that Swen understands this giving the hints he was giving. We’ll see, we’ll see.

Larianshill

Arbiter
First actual spoiler arrives.

IMG_7842.png
20220519_123923.jpg

Karlach is confirmed a barbarian, not a paladin. What a disappointment - barbarian is a boring class, and we already have Lae'zel to fill the "oonga boonga, I don't get tactical options, I just hit hard" niche. The good news is, her depiction on the card fits her redesign to a T.

9ag7cn2jf5i81.png

So it seems that's the design they're sticking with. Which is great, could have had this instead.

E12RvzPXoAI3iIB

So at least there's some good news.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Larianshill said:
First actual spoiler arrives.
Hard to be a paladin and in service to a demon. At best, you'd be a fallen paladin.

*I say this being a proponent of stretching the paladin class and lawful good alignment to its limits using creativity and technicalities.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Paladin in 5E is an umbrella term for all things that were like paladins, but weren't outright called such in previous editions. Oathbreaker subclass is pretty much a blackguard/death knight, in the description of the Oath of Conquest it's written that some of them are subjugated to fiends. Admittedly Karlach was always iffy, because she broke away from Zariel and doesn't want anything to do with devils, but I would be willing to suspend my disbelief.

Trithne

Erudite
“How to rate a game’s success” arguments start here
I'd say you should rate it by "engagement": how many people produce and consume guides, fan art, mods, reviews, etc. How many people care about the game enough to engage with the game other than playing.

Rate it by how many times Lilura posts on her blog about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom