Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall II: The Dying World - prequel where native PC travels to the old continent

Padzi

Arbiter

Continuing the winning formula of the first game, GreedFall II: The Dying World is an RPG that focuses on story and player choice but also includes new gameplay in the form of more tactical combat and revisits the unique universe created by its predecessor.

The story starts three years before the events of the first game and the adventures of De Sardet. This time you play as a native of Teer Fradee, uprooted by force from your island and taken to the continent of Gacane, where the colonists are from. In this old world ravaged by war and scarred by the Malichor plague and the political scheming of the different factions, you must regain your freedom and control of your own destiny. Using diplomacy, cunning or combat, as well as help from allies you make, it’s up to you to end one man’s ambitions of conquest, which could spell the end for the continent and your island.

And here is the Steam page description:

The story starts three years before the events of the first game and the adventures of De Sardet.

This time you play as a native of Teer Fradee, uprooted by force from your island and taken to the continent of Gacane, where the colonists are from. In this old world ravaged by war and scarred by the Malichor plague and the political scheming of the different factions, you need to regain your freedom and control of your own destiny. Using diplomacy, cunning or combat, as well as help from allies you make, it’s up to you to end one man’s ambitions of conquest, which could spell the end for the continent and your island.

Experience the unique world of GreedFall again by exploring the old continent! Travel across new landscapes, from Olima—the city of stars of the Bridge Alliance—to the shores of Uxantis, and uncover the secrets of these ancient lands. Meet all the factions that share control over these nations and navigate the treacherous waters of their schemes and conspiracies.

Create your own character and find allies to join your team. Help them with their quests, uncover their secrets and make them your friends, rivals or even lovers. As well as equipping them the way you want, you can also take control of them in combat.

Immerse yourself in an ever deeper RPG experience where every choice has an impact on your adventure and where diplomacy, manipulation, infiltration and combat are all viable paths for you to achieve your aims.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Like it or not, the 'Bioware' formula is a blueprint on how to make money. Bioware themselves abandoned it at their own peril.
And Spiders makes good (older) Bioware-style games.
As long as your sights are set to a consistent 2 million. They put themselves into a corner with that, wanted to hit 10 million, but there's just not that kind of demand for this style of game.

A prequel sequel huh.
that's what a "prequel" is, friend

Though it does happen on occasion, it's unusual for a prequel to end in a number. It's confusing for casuals.

Codex Year of the Donut
As long as your sights are set to a consistent 2 million. They put themselves into a corner with that, wanted to hit 10 million, but there's just not that kind of demand for this style of game.
Mass Effect games did really well afaik, they were able to broaden the audience by making it a shooter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mass Effect games did really well afaik, they were able to broaden the audience by making it a shooter.
Wikiposting

The Mass Effect franchise has been successful commercially. The first game in the franchise sold over one million units worldwide in less than three weeks after launch.[132] Sales rose to 1.6 million copies after six weeks of availability by January 2009.[133][134] Its sequel, Mass Effect 2 shipped two million copies to retailers two weeks after the game was released.[135] The game sold over 500,000 copies in the month of release, despite being released at the end of the month.[136] Before the release of the third game, the series sold a combined total of 7 million copies worldwide.[137] Mass Effect 3 was the most commercially successful game of the series: it sold over 800,000 copies in its first 24 hours,[138] and its opening month sales were twice that of its predecessor's,[139] selling over 900,000 copies on the Xbox 360 version, outselling the PlayStation 3 version 4 to 1 and bringing in over $200 million in revenue.[140] By April 2012 it sold over twice as many copies as Mass Effect 2 in their respective launch months[141] and generated lifetime sales of over six million copies.[142] The Mass Effect series had sold a total of 14 million units by July 5, 2014.[143]

Mass Effect: Andromeda continued the sales success of its predecessors.[144] By May 2017, an analyst noted that at least 2.5 million retail copies of Mass Effect: Andromeda had been shipped for $110 million in revenue.[145] Additionally, $53 million in net sales from digital and special editions for Andromeda were generated in March 2017 but deferred to a later date

It was just typical for them. I assume the third one got a slight boost for being the last of a trilogy plus the multiplayer but it wasn't that big of a boost. They never met their "10 million or bust" challenge.

Codex Year of the Donut
It was just typical for them. I assume the third one got a slight boost for being the last of a trilogy plus the multiplayer but it wasn't that big of a boost. They never met their "10 million or bust" challenge.
Bioware was addicted to chasing that dragon from increasing sales, and it was their downfall. They should have been content with how well their games were selling.

Aarwolf

Learned
The first game was a little meh (nice visuals, repetitive gameplay, mediocre story), but hell, I'll bite.

We'll see.

Padzi

Arbiter
Anyway, does anybody know how well did the first installment sell? I thought it wasn't a hot selling title. Also, the DLC they added later on had some mind-boggling 0.01% completion rate on Steam. So, I'm curious.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyway, does anybody know how well did the first installment sell? I thought it wasn't a hot selling title. Also, the DLC they added later on had some mind-boggling 0.01% completion rate on Steam. So, I'm curious.
In the press release for Greedfall 2 they said over 2 million.

RepHope

Savant
I’m sure it’s their best selling title.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm pretty surprised at how well Greedfall seems to have done. 13k reviews and mostly positive on Steam is quite good for a less known studio. Maybe some day I'll have to give it a try.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The first game (along with outward) came within a vacuum of open world rpg, they received great success from just being a game releasing where no other games did. Plus they are pretty decent and fun too.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
The first game (along with outward) came within a vacuum of open world rpg, they received great success from just being a game releasing where no other games did. Plus they are pretty decent and fun too.
didnt they jump on cool like game of thrones while it was still cool?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
didnt they jump on cool like game of thrones while it was still cool?

That was from Cyanide, not Spiders.

But you know what, let's see if there's any overlap between the two studios, since people are always confusing them: https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/game-of-thrones/credits

Looks like the answer is no, but some of the leads on the Game of Thrones RPG went on to form Big Bad Wolf, who just released Vampire: The Masquarade - Swansong. Others stayed at Cyanide and made games like Styx, Call of Cthulhu and Werewolf - Earthblood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom