Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

FriendlyMerchant

I replayed kotor not too long ago and one of the more amusing parts was how fast you could die, especially at lower level. One bad roll and you die pretty much the moment you enter combat completely confused as to wtf happened.

You don't get the OP abilities until later in the game, the early parts really aren't a walk in the park.

Like I say it applies more to 2 than 1. And it also depends on how you play I think. Like if you skip leveling until after getting Jedi training.
Metagaming tends to make your experience worse all around, yeah. One of my pet peeves is how much this site loves to ruin games for themselves this way.
Why do you think putting levels into a non-jedi classes is a good thing?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1493473334184464384

Chris Avellone said:
Butchery of established IP's? What could possibly go wrong!?
I think it could only be worse if the butcher suddenly realizes the cow being hacked apart is actually still alive
:lol:

I think they might be reading too much into a known agitator quitting in a huff. I checked out the glass door reviews for Aspyr and they're mostly positive. Just a handful of people complaining about low pay for QA staff and of course "muh diversity."

As a bonus, a narrative designer from the Ubisoft South Park game is seething at the news source Avellone is sharing https://twitter.com/demian_linn/status/1493477743677227008

RTing this alt right website for turdmen...?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I replayed kotor not too long ago and one of the more amusing parts was how fast you could die, especially at lower level. One bad roll and you die pretty much the moment you enter combat completely confused as to wtf happened.

You don't get the OP abilities until later in the game, the early parts really aren't a walk in the park.

Like I say it applies more to 2 than 1. And it also depends on how you play I think. Like if you skip leveling until after getting Jedi training.
Metagaming tends to make your experience worse all around, yeah. One of my pet peeves is how much this site loves to ruin games for themselves this way.
Because Jedi suck.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Because Jedi suck.

That's why the discerning gentleman goes Sith ASAP.

FriendlyMerchant

Because Jedi suck.
And then on the other side of the coin, they force you to change classes. At least in KOTOR2, you could simply choose to not use force powers and play as if you were just a normal melee/blaster character with the only downside of needing a prestige class for sneak attack. The entire problem is that they force you to change classes. If you want to play a jedi, you still have to dump two levels into a non-jedi class. If you want to play a non-jedi and have a class you like, you still have to take a jedi class and you're capped as to how much you can put levels into that class.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Is SWTOR worth a playthrough?

Not really. It was a blast to play at launch, the community was nice and friendly, lots of players, and I absolutely loved the story of my sith sorcerer. These days the game is completely different, the class stories are dead ends that were never continued, the game is based around a cash shop, the player numbers are down, and the content expansions are mediocre.

It was an amazing concept but impossible to maintain as an MMORPG, people will consume the content much faster than you can add new class stories and cinematics.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Because Jedi suck.
ZYzvTRp.jpg

None

Scholar
I'm surprised anyone on this site has anything good to say about SWTOR. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

As for a more ontopic comment: the only real upside I see about this remake is that if it is successful we could potentially get more Old Republic era games, which would be nice. A remaster is completely unneeded, but a remake has some potential.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/saber-interactive-joins-development-of-star-wars-kotor-remake

Saber Interactive joins development of Star Wars KOTOR remake
The force is strong with this one.

Evil Dead developer Saber Interactive has joined up with Aspyr to work on the upcoming Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake.

During the Q4 Embracer Group report, board member Matthew Karch revealed that Aspyr and Saber Interactive were now working together on the remake, calling it a "massive product".

"Aspyr has gone full in to make this the best game that they can make. When we acquired Aspyr, we knew from the start that they would require our assistance [and] Saber has tremendous expertise in creating these types of products," he said.

"We're fully confident that the game is going to be fantastic but it's a massive, massive product and massive products require a lot of effort and a lot of time to make good. And especially when you're talking about a game already old - very old - we've basically had to remake that game from scratch," he continued, before assuring we would hear more about the game "in the next several months".

While this leaves us with a rather broad window for when we can expect to hear more about the KOTOR remake, we could make a guess that it will appear at Geoff Keighley's Summer Games Fest, which is due to take place on 9th June.

Aspyr has previously said it hopes this remake will bring some newcomers to the series, as well being enticing enough to cater to long term fans.

"We've been working closely with Lucasfilm Games on classic Star Wars games for years, and that experience has instilled in our team a deep love and respect for these timeless titles, as well as a unique perspective on how to carry them forward into the modern age," Aspyr's lead producer Ryan Treadwell wrote on the game's announcement last year.

On its release, the Star Wars KOTOR remake will be a timed PlayStation console and PC exclusive.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm surprised anyone on this site has anything good to say about SWTOR.
The singleplayer content is actually good. MMO part sucks.
The imperial agent class story is exceptionally good, 'would be praised as being one of the greats' if it wasn't an MMO sort of good.
Rest of them are pretty good, some meh, some great.
the class stories are completely free with no strings attached so if you've got some time to throw away you could do a lot worse.

It's really hard not to notice a heavy inspiration from Avellone on the way the force/jedi/sith are treated.

Expansions are hit or miss. I really liked the two episodic-model ones but some other codexers didn't, idk, thought they were really good. You pay $15 and get all of the content ever released up to that point unlocked forever. Which is pretty much one of the best monetization schemes of any MMO on the market.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/star-wars-the-old-republic-will-kill-wow.67564/

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
It's really hard not to notice a heavy inspiration from Avellone on the way the force/jedi/sith are treated.
This is you:
594bc3f198038e1cd8052ab68d2c9cc72b36031b646ac14a96b338c204e3df14_1.jpg

I generally agree with your assessments on the class stories and Imperial Agent, but the writing is in no way "Avellonian". Whatever few moments it does acknowledge KOTOR 2's existence it's explicitly clear the writers didn't have a clue or didn't care as to what that game was attempting to do with it's characters and largely just continued with the standard Bioware "An Ancient Evil awakens" plotline while keeping Revan as a Darth Vader copy.

Codex Year of the Donut
This is you:
594bc3f198038e1cd8052ab68d2c9cc72b36031b646ac14a96b338c204e3df14_1.jpg

I generally agree with your assessments on the class stories and Imperial Agent, but the writing is in no way "Avellonian". Whatever few moments it does acknowledge KOTOR 2's existence it's explicitly clear the writers didn't have a clue or didn't care as to what that game was attempting to do with it's characters and largely just continued with the standard Bioware "An Ancient Evil awakens" plotline while keeping Revan as a Darth Vader copy.
that's cool except they made an expansion based directly on avellone's notes for a kotor 3 so ok

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
that's cool except they made an expansion based directly on avellone's notes for a kotor 3 so ok
I would say I need a citation but I didn't play the expansions and so I don't care, you can take the W on this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom