Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong - narrative RPG from The Council devs - now on Steam

ChildInTime

Learned
It's really painfully average. Some of the art is good, it tries, yes, but... it lacks almost any humor and also as was mentioned all the women except maybe the main black girl are some variation of a short haired feminist stereotype, facial animations and animations on the whole are terrible.
Every vampire except the Ventrue protag guy act like they were embraced two nights ago, although each of them is at least a 100 years old, idk if it's the fault of the writing or what, but it just doesn't click.
Better try one of the text games like Night Road or Parliament of Knives, or hell, that Red Embrace VN if you want the Bloodlines feel, you'll get more bang for your buck.

Last edited:

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Better try one of the text games like Night Road or Parliament of Knives, or hell, that Red Embrace VN if you want the Bloodlines feel, you'll get more bang for your buck.
All those games are awful and if they're trying to replicate the feel (which is debatable), they failed. We should make our own games. Not just because Paradox's IP sucks, but because competition is necessary for a healthy market in general. I'm currently trying myself, so here's hoping.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Vampire cops don't make sense, they would've burned in the sun during police academy training.
90s television character Nick Knight claimed to have a sunlight allergy (probably solar urticaria) to get permanently assigned to the night shift. That said, realistically a precinct probably won't hire someone with a serious disability like that for field positions.

Again, this is one of the reasons why I support new IPs. It's easier to write stuff like vampire cops if you can write vampires (or whatever) who can survive in sunlight.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Right now the quality I'm seeing is 360p. If this does not improve later, I will look into it, and fix it. What I recorded is high rez. This is my first time doing this, so... bear with me, please.

later edit: Quality is now flawless.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So is it shit?
It's more of a walking sim. There hasn't been any combat, or any real struggle so far. And, should you watch my video, some of your other questions might be answered, as well.

So far it is definitely not a contender for RPG of the year. lol

Adica, mie mi se pare distractiv prin virtutea faptului ca e praf, pentru ca rad de joc. Fiecare cu ce poate. :)

marek

Educated
I don't mind the narrative style game, its not Vampire: Bloodlines but mostly about investigation - i.e. you have to like reading, intrigue, mystery & investigation. However i absolutely hate the save game system (or more: the lack thereof). Your only option: Completely restart a level, or continue from autosave. This might be ok if the game was bug-free, but sadly its not.

Example: In the very first level, I ran into a bug: an invisible wall stops access to an alclove (its open, you can look inside but you cannot walk there). According to guides, you are supposed to get in, look at a shawl and thats it. But for some reason, likely a skript not firing, i cannot. Since the game uses a single savegame & auto-overwrites it, i cannot reload the a previous checkpoint but have to restart the whole level in the hopes i won't trigger this bug next time. Dialogue - at least in the intro level - cannot be skipped (despite a message saying hold space to skip, but nothing happens). Means i have to go through the same full dialogues again and hope i won't run into the same bug twice. Don't have the nerve to do that today, but its a very stupid savegame design even without bugs.

Also couldn't find a community forum or similar, so no way to report the bug or find out how to circumvent it...

marek

Educated
Bugs are bad, but rolling autosave is good for those who aren't scared of consequences for their choices.
1) If someone wants to play ironman, that should be his choice & not forced upon them. I dislike this paternalistic bs thats forcing me to jump through hoops (manually copy autosave files)
2) Replays take ages, since the "skip dialogue" option doesn't work
3) Bugs are real. I wasted ~40 minutes just because i didn't follow the playtest sequence (apparently "drink blood, get into alclove, drink blood again" vs drink blood x2, get into alclove). Not choice & consequence, but trying to find a bug-free path

Herumor

Scholar
Also couldn't find a community forum or similar, so no way to report the bug or find out how to circumvent it...

Epic Game Store doesn't have them. Gets in the way of them selling their game, just like having player reviews and such.

Maybe you should just focus on the RPG instead. Besides... it's not that big of a secret; I'm sure you'll find out eventually.

I take back my intention to hate you. Your people are one of the neighboring few mine has no enmity with.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This might be ok if the game was bug-free, but sadly its not.

I see this so often where some dev decides they're gonna make you play ironman because theoretically that would be a better gameplay experience. But 90% of the time, they don't deliver an impeccably polished bug-free experience, they release a game that isn't quite done where bugs are more of a hurdle than just needing to get gud. I've gotten used to saving games constantly not because I'm going to go back and change a decision I made before, but because I've been fucked over so many times by bugs or defects that are near to being bugs, like where a dialogue option turns out to be the opposite of what you thought it was.

Wesp5

Arcane
1) If someone wants to play ironman, that should be his choice & not forced upon them. I dislike this paternalistic bs thats forcing me to jump through hoops (manually copy autosave files)
2) Replays take ages, since the "skip dialogue" option doesn't work
3) Bugs are real. I wasted ~40 minutes just because i didn't follow the playtest sequence (apparently "drink blood, get into alclove, drink blood again" vs drink blood x2, get into alclove). Not choice & consequence, but trying to find a bug-free path

I haven't played Swansong yet, but I often have the impression that developers cripple their save game system on purpose to artificially prolong short games. Maybe this is the case here too?

Codex Year of the Donut
git gud

maybe games should come with invincibility cheats enabled by default too so you don't accidentally die as well?

Semiurge

Cipher
Part 1 of my playthrough:

Any comments about my voice shall be ignored until further notice. :P

Enjoy (?)

So youtube rules prohibit even the lame gore effects this game undoubtedly has.

:rpgcodex:

Is there any way to bypass that login-requirement?

Vampire cops don't make sense, they would've burned in the sun during police academy training.

They might if they work the night shifts because someone powerful pulled some strings.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
90% of the time, they don't deliver an impeccably polished bug-free experience, they release a game that isn't quite done where bugs are more of a hurdle than just needing to get gud. I've gotten used to saving games constantly not because I'm going to go back and change a decision I made before, but because I've been fucked over so many times by bugs or defects that are near to being bugs, like where a dialogue option turns out to be the opposite of what you thought it was.
Jesus christ. 90% ? What kind of hacked up 1-man early access dreck are you playing? 90% he says. I feel like most games I play nowadays have a rolling autosave and it's fine, to the point where manually saving at the end of a session (when the game permits) feels like a pagan ritual, mumbling a prayer to the great spirit of the swamp to keep away ghosts.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What is this thing? It's uglier than even a tranny.

swansong_202231816133080_2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom