Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Vibalist

Arcane
One thing I fucking hated about Mankind Divided - and in extention Human Revolution - is that there is always another solution just a few meters away.
If you can't hack the door, there is a wall right next to it you can break down, and if you can't break down the wall, a keycode will be hidden behind the lamp on the other side of the room, and if you don't spot the keycode, there is a vent you can crawl through, and if you're too fat for the vent, you can move a bunch of conveniently placed heavy boxes blocking a second entry point.

The game always - and I mean always - makes sure to spoon feed you a staggering amount of readily available alternative paths that you have to be borderline blind to overlook.
Presumably because the developers - like most modern devs - were scared you'd miss something.
This is the main reason the new DX'es can't ever be on the level of the old one, which gleefully told you to go fuck yourself if you forgot to bring the lockpicks or explosives required to get past that reinforced steel door with the cool stealth upgrade behind it.

An immersive sim is only every truly fun if there's content you're forced to forego because of your character build and/or playstyle, and New-DX just doesn't get this at all.
Another example of this is how New-DX positively showers you in upgrades, money and items. Go through Prague with a fine tooth comb and you'll have more stuff and XP points that you know what to do with in several playthroughs.

Also, the story in both MD and HR sucks. Augs this, augs that. Augs are a metaphor for everything. It makes no sense. Why is the old bum behind the gas station talking to me about augs? In OG DX, he'd be talking about getting drunk, avoiding the cops, being scared of the sickness or something else that felt believable for such a character. He wouldn't be a ham fisted mouthpiece for the developer's deepity-deep thoughts about this non-existing issue.

Vatnik Wumao
One thing I fucking hated about Mankind Divided - and in extention Human Revolution - is that there is always another solution just a few meters away.
If you can't hack the door, there is a wall right next to it you can break down, and if you can't break down the wall, a keycode will be hidden behind the lamp on the other side of the room, and if you don't spot the keycode, there is a vent you can crawl through, and if you're too fat for the vent, you can move a bunch of conveniently placed heavy boxes blocking a second entry point.

The game always - and I mean always - makes sure to spoon feed you a staggering amount of readily available alternative paths that you have to be borderline blind to overlook.
Presumably because the developers - like most modern devs - were scared you'd miss something.
This is the main reason the new DX'es can't ever be on the level of the old one, which gleefully told you to go fuck yourself if you forgot to bring the lockpicks or explosives required to get past that reinforced steel door with the cool stealth upgrade behind it.

An immersive sim is only every truly fun if there's content you're forced to forego because of your character build and/or playstyle, and New-DX just doesn't get this at all.
Another example of this is how New-DX positively showers you in upgrades, money and items. Go through Prague with a fine tooth comb and you'll have more stuff and XP points that you know what to do with in several playthroughs.

Also, the story in both MD and HR sucks. Augs this, augs that. Augs are a metaphor for everything. It makes no sense. Why is the old bum behind the gas station talking to me about augs? In OG DX, he'd be talking about getting drunk, avoiding the cops, being scared of the sickness or something else that felt believable for such a character. He wouldn't be a ham fisted mouthpiece for the developer's deepity-deep thoughts about this non-existing issue.

There's an argument in favor of dev handholding because most players don't do repeat play throughs. So a large amount of content is just wasted if you lock the player out.

Vibalist

Arcane
Yes, but the magic of actually finding stuff for yourself and having a unique experience to others is completely lost with such a design philosophy.
Consider this: Would the original Deus Ex be remembered as fondly (or at all) if it had followed such an approach?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Yes, but the magic of actually finding stuff for yourself and having a unique experience to others is completely lost with such a design philosophy.
Consider this: Would the original Deus Ex be remembered as fondly (or at all) if it had followed such an approach?
Pretty sure Spector said in an interview that he had to fight to keep that secret content in that made DX so special.

SumDrunkGuy

I'll take Mankind Divided over about 99.2% of other modern day games. That other .8% is From Software shit, Resident Evil and whatever interesting indie crap I manage to find.

Posted this in the original review thread, but nobody reads that, so reposting here:

Mankind Divided is utter shit, and this review was way too generous.

Some of the reasons below:

1. Some of the dullest dialogue in the history of the medium. And a lot of it to boot. The original Deus Ex had fairly short and to the point dialogue, which was perfect, since talking for hours about various silly conspiracies is not a great idea. Human Revolution ignored this valuable lesson and had tons of boring dialogue about an endless succession of conspiracies to the point that after a few hours, I can't imagine anyone still cared.

Mankind Divided continues this flawed approach from HR, but on top of this, makes it far worse by distilling the entirety of its universe to one (woke) issue: natural humans vs augmented ones. That's the only thing anyone talks about in this game, it's the only thing going on in the world, and every dialogue is just a rehash of this shit. So here's the thing: having tons of very long winded dialogue about a single issue is... rather dull. At least HR, boring as it was, had some unexpected mystery angles or whatever, here, it's just constant righteous whining about one thing, kind of like a 40 hour long CNN segment.

2. Very weak gameplay. Everyone on Steam seems to think MD is a step up gameplay wise from HR, but it's one of the worst stealth games I've ever played gameplaywise.

- You are not given some very basic tools that stealth games typically have, like the ability to lean around corners to see what's happening. Instead, you have to use "augs" to compensate for this, except in most cases, they are a far inferior version. Instead of leaning, you can use x-ray vision through walls, but this is way worse, since it uses valuable bio-energy, feels like cheating, is annoying on the eyes, etc.
- Basic moves like taking someone down are fucking cinematics. You have very little control over them.
- Popamole shooting... Need I say more...
- The enemy placement and alert thresholds are retarded. Try to do a silent takedown move on an enemy (e.g. stun gun or melee takedown) and enemies some distance away will often get alerted. So you have to first lead the first guy further away by throwing something there, and only then take him down. Gets old very fast. Many levels also have tons of enemies and cameras and turrets packed in, making for lots of reloads.
- Who thought it would be fun to give enemies that Titan skin ability, where they basically go invincible for 10 minutes? While yours only lasts for like 10 seconds.
- Everything being tied to bio-energy... Melee takedown? Bio-energy goes down. Use any aug? Bio-energy goes down. Given the relative shortage of biocells, you gotta play like a pauper, always holding back.
- The fucking backtracking between Prague districts... Especially once cops go into curfew mode.

3. What the fuck is up with the uncancellable credit thing at the end, going on for 20-30 minutes? I never realized that many retards worked for Eidos Montreal before alt-tabbing out

Beowulf

Arcane
I didn't think it was that bad, I enjoyed both HR and MD actually.
But they have its flaws, the aug conflict angle being a really poor choice.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
I managed to mod it to work now...

Not impressed. I just can't give a shit for Praq; and this damn aug story isn't doing it for me.

- You are not given some very basic tools that stealth games typically have, like the ability to lean around corners to see what's happening. Instead, you have to use "augs" to compensate for this, except in most cases, they are a far inferior version. Instead of leaning, you can use x-ray vision through walls, but this is way worse, since it uses valuable bio-energy, feels like cheating, is annoying on the eyes, etc.
- Basic moves like taking someone down are fucking cinematics. You have very little control over them.
- The enemy placement and alert thresholds are retarded. Try to do a silent takedown move on an enemy (e.g. stun gun or melee takedown) and enemies some distance away will often get alerted. So you have to first lead the first guy further away by throwing something there, and only then take him down. Gets old very fast. Many levels also have tons of enemies and cameras and turrets packed in, making for lots of reloads.
- Who thought it would be fun to give enemies that Titan skin ability, where they basically go invincible for 10 minutes? While yours only lasts for like 10 seconds.
- Everything being tied to bio-energy... Melee takedown? Bio-energy goes down. Use any aug? Bio-energy goes down. Given the relative shortage of biocells, you gotta play like a pauper, always holding back.
- The fucking backtracking between Prague districts... Especially once cops go into curfew mode.
i'm far from being a fan of this game, but all you said is wrong or patently false.

Silverfish

Arbiter

Or you could just use the cover system and enjoy the automatic third-person view that many argue actually makes the game too easy.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Posted this in the original review thread, but nobody reads that, so reposting here:

1. Some of the dullest dialogue in the history of the medium. And a lot of it to boot. The original Deus Ex had fairly short and to the point dialogue, which was perfect, since talking for hours about various silly conspiracies is not a great idea. Human Revolution ignored this valuable lesson and had tons of boring dialogue about an endless succession of conspiracies to the point that after a few hours, I can't imagine anyone still cared.

Mankind Divided continues this flawed approach from HR, but on top of this, makes it far worse by distilling the entirety of its universe to one (woke) issue: natural humans vs augmented ones. That's the only thing anyone talks about in this game, it's the only thing going on in the world, and every dialogue is just a rehash of this shit. So here's the thing: having tons of very long winded dialogue about a single issue is... rather dull. At least HR, boring as it was, had some unexpected mystery angles or whatever, here, it's just constant righteous whining about one thing, kind of like a 40 hour long CNN segment.

2. Very weak gameplay. Everyone on Steam seems to think MD is a step up gameplay wise from HR, but it's one of the worst stealth games I've ever played gameplaywise.

3. What the fuck is up with the uncancellable credit thing at the end, going on for 20-30 minutes? I never realized that many retards worked for Eidos Montreal before alt-tabbing out
Moron.

i'm far from being a fan of this game, but all you said is wrong or patently false.

For example?

Or you could just use the cover system and enjoy the automatic third-person view that many argue actually makes the game too easy.

Using an even worse and fake method than the one I mentioned only strengthens my argument about the quality of the game, no?

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected

Tell me a game you actually enjoy so I can call it utter shit.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Some of the dullest dialogue in the history of the medium
No.Pick any modern indie game or Skyrim and it is worse,much worse.
The original Deus Ex had fairly short and to the point dialogue,
You never played Deus ex i see.From the conversation with the terrorist leader to your boss to the optional soda stuff,there is plenty of dialogue and it ain't short one liners you think they were.
Is there less dialogue then MD? Yes,but not the visual novel style difference you seem to be implying.
since talking for hours about various silly conspiracies is not a great idea
In which Deus ex game does this happen?Both Md and Hr have a lack of focus on the conspiracies compared to the original.
Human Revolution ignored this valuable lesson and had tons of boring dialogue about an endless succession of conspiracies to the point that after a few hours, I can't imagine anyone still cared.
Hr barely had any dialogue connected to the conspiracies and most of the dialogue was centered on augmentation.Did you even play the game?
Mankind Divided continues this flawed approach from HR, but on top of this, makes it far worse by distilling the entirety of its universe to one (woke) issue: natural humans vs augmented ones.
So they have the same problems,over focus on Augmentation.
That's the only thing anyone talks about in this game, it's the only thing going on in the world, and every dialogue is just a rehash of this shit
Exactly like Hr.
At least HR, boring as it was, had some unexpected mystery angles or whatever, here,
What unexpected mysteries?
Th only mystery was trying to find the nameless assassins and being fed small crumbs with a promise of a payoff that never materialized.The grand conspiracy was a joke.
MD on the other has the entire Adam is a clone side thing going on,which is actual mystery.Plus,your boss being suspicious actually is never just magically cleared out in a couple of minutes like Hr.

Everyone on Steam seems to think MD is a step up gameplay wise from HR
Because it is.The level design and the xp reward systems are a obvious improvement.
but it's one of the worst stealth games
It is not a stealth game,it is a game that has stealth as a option.
You are not given some very basic tools that stealth games typically have, like the ability to lean around corners to see what's happening
So no cheats? Because that is not a basic tool.And even in games that have it(like thief) you are encouraged to use other elements(like sound) instead of it.
Instead, you have to use "augs" to compensate for this
Holy shit,it is almost like this is a Deus ex game and you are playing as a augmented human.
they are a far inferior version.
Contradiction ahoy.
Instead of leaning, you can use x-ray vision through walls, but this is way worse,
So the alternative to a system that exposes you to risk and has wider coverage is somehow inferior?
since it uses valuable bio-energy, feels like cheating, is annoying on the eyes, etc
It also killed your dog and ate your homework.
So is it inferior or is cheating?
Wow,a ability that uses resources,holy shit.How is it any different then having ammo/uses for any tool in a stealth game.
Basic moves like taking someone down are fucking cinematics. You have very little control over them.
True and i don't like it for numerous reason.
Popamole shooting... Need I say more...
Yes because,that isn't a description.At least you can survive in this game unless HR where you are a wet paper bag.
So you have to first lead the first guy further away by throwing something there, and only then take him down. Gets old very fast
So you are complaining about a basic stealth game play loop being annoying? Have you ever even played stealth games before?
Many levels also have tons of enemies and cameras and turrets packed in, making for lots of reloads
Good,i hope they caused you major butt hurt every time you had to reload.
Who thought it would be fun to give enemies that Titan skin ability, where they basically go invincible for 10 minutes? While yours only lasts for like 10 seconds.
Use emp or take down and stop being a pussy and waiting for the titan to run out.
Everything being tied to bio-energy... Melee takedown? Bio-energy goes down. Use any aug? Bio-energy goes down. Given the relative shortage of biocells, you gotta play like a pauper, always holding back.
Resource management BIATCH. This ain't HR where you get easily regenerative batteries.
Imagine having infinite takedowns and aug usage.
The fucking backtracking between Prague districts... Especially once cops go into curfew mode.
The entire point of the game is to have once city that gradually changes and that implies backtracking.But it is miles better then HR where you visit the same shit with the same opened doors you left.
What the fuck is up with the uncancellable credit thing at the end, going on for 20-30 minutes? I never realized that many retards worked for Eidos Montreal before alt-tabbing out
A true codexer would have alt-f4 + uninstalled the moment you couldn't skip the credits.

I recently finally completed HR. This was my third playthrough after previously running out of steam somewhere around Hengsha part 2. The first half was decent, but man oh man is the game a slog from roughly Montreal onward. I almost quit during The Missing Link section because it was just so unnecessarily padded (doesn’t help that they strip you of most of your augs, although to be fair Jensen was ridiculously OP at that point). I also agree with most of the criticisms about overly simple stealth mechanics and drab plotting that doesn’t really go anywhere.
Is MD worth playing for someone for whom HR was a giant “meh”?

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
I recently finally completed HR. This was my third playthrough after previously running out of steam somewhere around Hengsha part 2. The first half was decent, but man oh man is the game a slog from roughly Montreal onward. I almost quit during The Missing Link section because it was just so unnecessarily padded (doesn’t help that they strip you of most of your augs, although to be fair Jensen was ridiculously OP at that point). I also agree with most of the criticisms about overly simple stealth mechanics and drab plotting that doesn’t really go anywhere.

Missing Link feels like this because it was added as a separate mission only after the game has been released, so it has some padding in order to make it seemingly a more worthwhile purchase for those looking at $ spent/h played ratio.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The Missing Link was the DLC and it was a big mistake that you can't play the 'Directors Cut' without it anymore. (Just like forcing you to play with the gray filter on.)

If story is more important to you, you don't really need to play MD. IN HR, I at least always felt like I knew why I was doing what and where I was going. MD doesn't go anywhere, the racism analogy is dumb and forced and it overall feels like a collection of pretty random sidequests.

If you enjoy gameplay more, however, MD is worth it. The new augs actually add something (and make you even more op than in HR, but that was hardly challenging either) and the locations and set pieces are very nice.
I'd have given Human Revolution 3/5 Deus Exes and Mankind Divided 4/5. Adjust up or down relative to your own taste or lack thereof.

It's vice versa for me, probably because I'm more of a storyfag.

Some of the dullest dialogue in the history of the medium
No.Pick any modern indie game or Skyrim and it is worse,much worse.

Wrong. Skyrim dialogue is pretty shitty and juvenile, but MD dialogue is way more drawn out, and while Skyrim's is about a bunch of different stupid topics, MD is ALWAYS about the same single uninteresting topic.

The original Deus Ex had fairly short and to the point dialogue,
You never played Deus ex i see.From the conversation with the terrorist leader to your boss to the optional soda stuff,there is plenty of dialogue and it ain't short one liners you think they were.
Is there less dialogue then MD? Yes,but not the visual novel style difference you seem to be implying.

Wrong again. I completed Deus Ex twice. If you cease with your strawmanning for a second, I never said it was one-liners, but it was way shorter and to the point than in MD (or HR). In addition to that, the original's dialogue was more about conspiracies, not the fucking pseudo-woke drivel in MD, making it far less annoying.

since talking for hours about various silly conspiracies is not a great idea
In which Deus ex game does this happen?Both Md and Hr have a lack of focus on the conspiracies compared to the original.

HR had quite a bit of dialogue on conspiracies, which just made it sound sillier.

Human Revolution ignored this valuable lesson and had tons of boring dialogue about an endless succession of conspiracies to the point that after a few hours, I can't imagine anyone still cared.
Hr barely had any dialogue connected to the conspiracies and most of the dialogue was centered on augmentation.Did you even play the game?

Yes, I completed HR. It did talk too much about augmentation (not as much as MD though), but there was a lot of boring conspiracy stuff too, like the Illuminati, Pangea, etc.

Mankind Divided continues this flawed approach from HR, but on top of this, makes it far worse by distilling the entirety of its universe to one (woke) issue: natural humans vs augmented ones.
So they have the same problems,over focus on Augmentation.

No, MD is much worse in this. In HR there were at least some twists, conversations about other shit, in MD it's literally all about naturals vs augmented.

At least HR, boring as it was, had some unexpected mystery angles or whatever, here,
What unexpected mysteries?
Th only mystery was trying to find the nameless assassins and being fed small crumbs with a promise of a payoff that never materialized.The grand conspiracy was a joke.
MD on the other has the entire Adam is a clone side thing going on,which is actual mystery.Plus,your boss being suspicious actually is never just magically cleared out in a couple of minutes like Hr.

The overall focus was much worse in MD. In HR, the whole augmented vs non-augmented thing didn't flare up until the final part of the game. You start basically playing a cop, deal with missing colleagues, tracking shit down and figuring it out, and the dialogue, boring as it is, revolves around that. In MD, the dialogue and setting and everything right from the start trying to shove this whole naturals vs augmented thing down your throat, constantly and without respite. Ergo, much worse.

Everyone on Steam seems to think MD is a step up gameplay wise from HR
Because it is.The level design and the xp reward systems are a obvious improvement.

Did not notice this at all. Both games are pretty bad at mechanics compared to the original Deus Ex or games like Thief, Hitman, Dishonored, etc.

but it's one of the worst stealth games
It is not a stealth game,it is a game that has stealth as a option.

Lol, are you sure you want to go up this hill? The other options (ie combat) is far worse.

You are not given some very basic tools that stealth games typically have, like the ability to lean around corners to see what's happening
So no cheats? Because that is not a basic tool.And even in games that have it(like thief) you are encouraged to use other elements(like sound) instead of it.

:notsureifserious:

... a lot more silly whining because I apparently made this fanboy idiot butthurt by pointing out all the flaws with his favorite game...

Cry me a river, kiddo.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Depends on what you expect from the game.

The critical path of MD is much shorter than HR, so it's not gonna be a slog. Optional side missions take up a huge chunk of the game. The city of Prague offers tons of optional exploration.
Gameplay is improved over HR, with many more augs to choose from (including combat augs like slow motion and invulnerability), more breakable doors/windows, multiple ammo types etc.
Stealth is probably even easier than in HR due to buffs to the Tranq Rifle and the Stun Gun (they're less frustrating and more fun to use though) and the introduction of the TESLA aug which is a ranged auto-aiming weapon that can take out 4 enemies silently at once(!!!).
Even though it's too easy, it's still a very fun game to play stealthily and much more fun to play guns blazing than HR.
The plot goes nowhere in worse magnitudes than HR, but the atmosphere and some of the story pieces are great.

Spukrian

Savant
Mankind Divided is better than Human Revolution, both are inferior to the original Deus Ex. Personally I feel that Invisible War is better than both HR and MD, but that's probably just my opinion, or something...

EDIT: None of these games are cRPGs, please move this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom