Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Dawn of War Tournament - SEASON 3 NOW OVER

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Basic rules and considerations:

1. To play you'll need Soulstorm 1.2 at the very least (aka current Steam version). Obviously you'll want more races unlocked than just bolter bitches/dark eldar, though.
2. There will be an actual league structure with playoffs and semis. The ladder will depend on the final player count, but it will most likely be 2 top players from their playoff divisions progressing forward to the (quarter/)semi/finals. Division seeding will be done by drafting, carried out by skilled players singled out for this purpose
3. "Matches" will be resolved by way of best of 3 games. The player that wins two games against another player wins the match (and gains 1 point for playoffs). Game settings for all matches should be as follows: Annihilate, control area, take and hold victory objectives. Standard starting resources and resource rate, no cheats, insane AI difficulty.
4. You must be able to play at least 1 full match a week. However, keep in mind that Dawn of War is not that much of a time commitment, especially compared to something like Blood Bowl, so a full match will rarely take longer than an hour (although this will depend a lot on the relative skillz of the contestants). For additional considerations, read the following:

- Everyone is expected to play one game a week.
- If you can't play one game a week within reasonable constraints, you shouldn't apply. "I have two hours on one day free during the entire week when I can dow" is not a reasonable constraint.
- If such circumstances would happen that the two playaz really can't get a match going on the week of a given match day, but they can mutually agree to another date and post about it in the thread (preferably this 'another day' is not next saturday when a match day ends on a sunday), then the match day can be extended for them.
- If one playa tries to schedule a game but the other one repeatedly fails to show up, the other guy will be considered to have forfeited. Forfeits give 0 points and count as a worse result than losing 2:0 for purposes of tiebreaking.
- If both playaz are retarded and can't arrange a game, they will both be considered to have forfeited.
- If both playaz are seemingly unable to schedule a match despite their really best intentions and attempts... let's hope that doesn't happen. But in this case I'd consider coin toss to determine the winner.
5. To prevent spergs being unable to start games due to endless "counterpicking" in lobby, you'll be limited to only 2 races for the entire tournament. 1st race you'll play in your 1st game, 2nd in 2nd game - 3rd game as you see fit (still within the same 2 races). Should this lead to mirror matches, the race orders for one of the players can be changed (because mirror matches are uncool).
6. First game map will be fixed (as in assigned randomly during league seeding). Second and third game maps will be picked by the losers of the previous games.
7. Since many 1v1 maps in DOW are not very cool, the following list of halal gudmaps will apply for the entire tournament:
Battle Marshes, Blood River, Fata Morga, Frazier's Demise, Frostbite River, Meeting of Minds, Moonbase, Quest's Triumph, Shrine of Excellion, Titan's Fall, Tranquility's End
8. Remember to save all game replays so that they may be inspected if accusations of foul play arise.
9. Should multiple players be tied on a "winning position" at the end of the playoffs, the following tiebreaker rules will apply:

- If anyone has a skipped match (he didn't play one of his matches and the match day advanced without him), he is automatically disregarded from the tiebreaker,
- If still unresolved, compare all the fellows' performance against one another
- If still unresolved, the person with the most net individual victories wins (i.e. tally up the individual wins and losses for every game played; guy with the best balance goes through)
- If still unresolved, compare the performance of all the fellows against the top guy in the division,
- If still unresolved... I propose an overtime match just to break the tie, even if it's going to be a 3x or 4x FFA. Because it's so retarded we might as well do it, and it's cooler than coin toss. Winner goes through.
10. Situations not covered by the rules will be dealt with using common sense.
11. Both veteran and new players are welcome. It is VERY STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for all players to arrange warm-up games among each other before the start of the tournament proper, and for new players to ask the more experienced ones for tips and practice sessions.
12. To apply, provide the following information:
Steam name - timezone (in GMT format) - First race/Second race (can be changed before tournament start)

Sign-ups will be open till June 5th.

List of participants:

Codex Name | Steam Name | Timezone | Races
Darth Roxor - SORRY NOT IN SERVICE - GMT+2 - Space Marines/Orks
Jaedar - Jaedar - CEST (+2) - Tau/IG
whocares - Zen Trainer - GMT+2 - Chaos/Eldar
Reject_666_6 - rej - GMT-4 - SoB/Orks
Snorkack - Holoklaus - GMT+2 - SM/SoB
Nahel - Nahel - GMT +2 - SM/Dark Eldar
Sarathiour - Sakul - GMT+2 - Space Marines/Tau
Cyberarmy - Cyberarmy - GMT+3 - Chaos/Necron
RK47 - RK47 - GMT+8 - Orks/Tau
hello friend - ( ゚_ゝ゚) ☕7 - GMT+2 - Orks/IG

Tournament brackets:

dowleague31.png
Maps and Matches:

dowleague23.png
Current Match Day:

NUTHIN LOL

Division Standings:

Division Roxor:

Darth Roxor - 3​
whocares - 4​
Sarathiour - 2​
hello friend - 0​
Nahel - 1​

Division Jaedar:

Jaedar - 4​
RK47 - 3​
Reject_666_6 - 2​
Cyberarmy - 1​
Snorkack - 0​

Useful links:

1. The DOW wiki - For all your theorycrafting needs.
2. WH40Kveteran - The channel of our lord and saviour Astrohero, with pr0 replays from which you can steal 1337 strats.
3. Lexicanum - For the deep lores. Duh.

By applying to the Codex Dawn of War Tournament, you hereby agree that your User Name and Racial Preferences shall undergo data processing for the purposes of Kodex Kool Kompetitions, in compliance with the provisions of the EU regulation on data protection. Please be informed that the administrator of your data is Andhaira and you have the right to ask him to inspect or correct any of your data provided herein.

Please remember to keep your social distance at all times during the tournament. All players must be vaccinated against COVID-19 with at least 4 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech™ COVID-19 vaccine to sign up.

Certain limitations may apply to Russian users following FIFA's ejection of Russian teams from all tournament games.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Beginners guide to dow
Disclaimer: Guide assumes you have played at least the tutorial.

Evaluation and recommendation for race picks for beginners:
tl;dr: My top picks are chaos and sisters of battle.

SM: SM are arguably the worst race in t1, and while better later on, they don't have any generically amazing units. Not really recommended for beginners as it's hard to recover from ineveitably poor t1.
Chaos: Strong in every tier without demanding too much in terms of micro, and units have clear specializations making them easy to use effectively. Raptors and cultists are hard to use, but it's ok because just csm+lord is sufficient in t1. Recommended for beginners.
Eldar: One of the stronger races overall, but require complex decisions trees for builds depending on match up, and micro hell with fleet of foot. Definately not recommended for beginners.
Orkz: Shootaz and Sluggas are hard to use effectively, but they're also immune to having their base attacked T1. In addition WAAAGH makes their tech progession funky. Not really recommended for beginners as they're on the unique side and it's a bit tricky to play them early game.
IG: Guardsmen are hard to use effectively, even with grenade launchers, and so is their lord. They are strong defensively but not as strong as orkz, although their defenses scale better into lategame. For beginners, I'd probably recommend orkz over IG, but neither is a great pick due to having starting infantry that's hard to use.
Tau: Fire warriors require some micro and good snare traps to work good early on, but once you get a good mass of them in t2 they become almost impossible to approach. Not really recommended for beginners as it's easy to get rushed into oblivion.
Necrons: They are strong, but they also play completely differently to everyone else. Not the hardest to play, but you get almost no skill for free from being decent at another race. If this were a monorace tourney they'd be a good pick, but as it stands I can't recommend them.
SoB: Their infantry is just generically good in T1&T2 and faith powers + grenades are pretty easy to use effectively. Their vehicles are a bit weak until T3, but it doesn't hamper them much. Recommended.
Dark Eldar: Have one very strong rush build (hellions) which can be followed up by exactly 1 T2 strategy (wyches). The rest of the race is made up of complete garbage. Could be a decent pick, but they require a very proactive playstyle.

In general you should feel free to ignore my advice if you think it will help you have more fun, or if you have experience playing a race from single player.

General tips:
The basic buildorder for every race is to get 1 worker and 2 "scouts" from the HQ (any order except worker last is ok) and build a barracks followed by power generator. Barracks builds the commander and 2-3 basic infantry squads for T1. Scouts cap points and workers build LPs on them ASAP (let your barracks idle if they must). Necrons and deldar need not apply, eldar often skips commander. There are fancier builds with most races (immediate armory for sob, vespids/raptors for tau/chaos) but they're more situational and require more skill to pull off.

To save on micro, right click squad reinforcement, seargant and weapons. This will make the computer queue builds automatically whenever the squad is not bust building anything and you have resources. Just remember that the automatic reinforcement (overwatch as the game calls it) goes away once the squad is full / has filled all weapon slots.

The basic micro trick for ranged units is to run away/in circles from melee units. If you are ranged heavy, use this to deny the enemy an engagement. If you are melee heavy, make sure you split your army so you deny your enemy the ability to shoot while your entire army runs after a single squad.

Resources are good! Always build lps asap, and it's usually good to upgrade a few of them before starting t2 or while t2 is building. Attacking is a good way to deny your enemy resources, and if you destroy their lp you should basically always devote a unit to decap the point as it is really fast(but capturing it takes a while, so don't let your good units stay out of the fight for that reason).

Games usually end early: T1 gives one player the upper hand, who then ends the game in T2. Rarely do games move into T3 and especially T4.

There is a wiki at https://warhammer-guide.ru/wiki/Dawn_of_War_Players_Guide.html which is VERY helpful for learning what units and upgrades actually do.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Jaedar - Jaedar - CEST (+2) - Tau/IG (will change from IG to something else if IG ends up being spampicked as usual).

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What do with planes? At first glance they seem either shit, or redundant - hurr durr, let's slap a pair of wings on a Land Speeder and call it a day.

Depends on race, for some they are very strong. Funnily enough the land speeder with wings is one of the better ones - it gives SM reliable ranged anti-vehicle power in T2 with krak missiles. The Chaos, Ork, IG and Tau fliers are also very stronk.

The new races? SoB seem OP as hell, and DE as unknowable as the warp - fuck if I know what any of their units do and if it's any good. They all look the same.

SoB are all around stronk but not all that OP. DE are a stupid and half-baked faction that has only one valid strategy and whose unit roster is chockful of completely worthless units.

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

Nahel

Arcane
I still remember my rape of last time:mixedemotions:

I am interested but might be harder to fit with schedule

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Also, since I've actually never played Soulstorm online, just DoW through Dark Crusade, I wouldn't mind a quick rundown of major buffs/nerfs for existing races.
It's really hard to say, I can't remember what DC was like. SS is generally better balanced though, and iirc most units still do what they did in DC.
Generally, I firmly believe that going Machine Pit at T2 is trolling.
Land speeders (both versions) are good, and hellfire dreds are in many ways preferable to tacs with rockets.

Classic opinion of someone who has only played sp.

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
The Pit is the Chaos one.
Defiler is a good all rounder (it does artillery, ranged damage and packs a punch in melee against buildings), chaos pred is a good all rounder (although the first one is very expensive). The added flier is also great at taking down unguarded lps and generators, and does decent against infantry.

That's the nice thing with chaos, they don't really have any shitty units. Except for maybe the cultists, but that's par for scout units.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So to explain why machine pit ROCKS:

1. The defiler is hardly a joke. The trick with the defiler is to set him to ranged stance and let that artillery pummel the enemy ranged blob. It's EXTREMELY effective against Tau and IG. It also has a stronk melee attack, meaning you can't just tie it up with bullshit units or send melee AV after it very effectively, and ranged AV can have a hard time getting to it since it's behind your lines.
2. Pred is an all-around 'fuck you' unit in T2. It's effective against everything, it can fire on the move, it's fat, and its long range and universally high damage against everything let it act as both fire support and assault leader while also taking on enemy AV instead of running away from it. Expensive, sure, but the investment is very rarely not worth it, and it scales nicely into T4 with the lascannons.
3. Rhinoes are downright a must if you are facing ranged blobs. The trick is to get smoke bombs, put your CSM inside, ride into the enemy's face, unload, deploy smokes and watch the fun.
4. All the three points above synergise EXTREMELY well with CSM with upgraded heavy bolters. If you use CSM HB spam, machine pit is the way to go much more than sac circle.
5. Hell talons provide good and reliable AV that chaos kind of lacks in T2 - horrors are way too flimsy, meanwhile the hell talon is fat and can fly back to safety fast. They are also great at stomping LPs and gens, and become literal cancer in T3.

whocares

Savant

Last edited:
Classic opinion of someone who has only played sp.

Nope, it's because of the shitty balance changes in MP.

spotted the necron player

Eldar main but yes, the Necron nerf was completely unnecessary. The idea that they were OP was a meme. They were just easy to use for new players, but with a low skill ceiling.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Eldar main

ah so it's the FoF nerf that hurt your feels

1. It's both a walker and and artillery tank. And by being so it's the worst artillery and the weakest walker in the game. Call it a personal failing, but I can't justify using a worst in class unit that's actually worst in two classes.

And yet it serves two roles that can't be accomplished by anything fielded from the sac circle, and it's effective at both. Being worst in a class individually means nothing, it's how it works with the rest of your army that matters, and the defiler works very well with CSM.

2. Sure, it's stronk. But to get just one you need - 350/100 for the pit, 190/435 for the tank, and 125 for vehicle cap. So a total of 665 requisition and 535 power to get just one. Not to mention the generators you need to supply that. It's just too much at T2.

Those numbers are FAKE NEWS! Pit is 200/125, Pred is 150/330, vehicle cap is 125, so a total of 475/455 for something that can essentially secure your win in T2. The power cost may look high but that's why you already start making gens when upgrading to T2. Shitting up gens to release the kraken pred can also be a tide-turner when you're cornered in your base and deprived of LPs.

3,4. Nah, the trick is to make it so your heavy bolters can start shooting without setting up. Which is fun, if cheesy. I still prefer rooting fools with the sorcerer tho.

Even if they start shooting without setting up, you'll still get shredded by fire warriors. The smokescreens are a must.

Chains are great but you have to get to a nigga first to use them + they work on one squad only and have a yuge cooldown. None of this is viable vs ranged blobs.

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm operating under the old data that eldar OP

this data is always valid

what is this FoF nerf you're talking about?

In DC, Fleet of Foot only tanked accuracy on the move, which meant you could just have it on 24/7 because accuracy on the move was terrible regardless. Soulstorm made it apply a general accuracy debuff instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom